[REMOVE ADS]

Happy Heavenly 60th Birthday to WHITNEY HOUSTON

Today, August 9, 2023 would have been Whitney Houston's 60th birthday. Would only that she could be here to be celebrated for all the joy and beauty and pride she brought to the world. I wonder who she would be today if her life had not ended prematurely. What position would she occupy in our culture?

Bittersweet memories, indeed.

https://www.vogue.com/article/whitne...social_twitter

In celebration of her 60th birthday, here's a set of records she set as well as JUST A FEW of the accolades she earned in her three-decade career:

Chart records:
    *First solo female act to top three simultaneous Billboard charts with a song [["Saving All My Love for You" topped the pop, R&B and adult contemporary charts in the early fall of 1985)
    *First female act to reach the top five of four simultaneous Billboard charts with a song [["How Will I Know" hit the top three on the pop, R&B, AC and dance charts, going to number one on the former three charts)
    *First female artist to launch three number one singles off one album [["Whitney Houston", 1985-86)
    *First woman to top the Billboard 200 albums year-end list [["Whitney Houston", 1986)
    *First woman to debut at number one on the Billboard 200 [["Whitney", 1987)
    *Longest running consecutive weeks at number one after its debuting week at number one by a female artist [["Whitney", 1987, 11 weeks)
    *First female artist to launch four or more number one singles off a single album [["Whitney", 1987-88)
    *Only recording act to have seven consecutive number one singles in a row [[1988)
    *First recording act to have a top ten Olympics theme song [["One Moment in Time" peaked at number 5 on the BB Hot 100 in November 1988 and also topped the AC chart)
    *Most cumulative weeks at number one on the Billboard 200 by a female artist of the 1980s [[25 weeks)
    *The highest certified female album of the 1980s [["Whitney Houston", 14x platinum)
    *The highest certified female single of the 1980s [["I Wanna Dance with Somebody [[Who Loves Me)", 7x platinum)
    *First solo female act to have multiple number ones off three or more albums [[1991)
    *Only act to have multiple number ones on their first three albums
    *Only act to have "The Star-Spangled Banner" chart in the top 20 [[1991)
    *Longest-running number one soundtrack single [["I Will Always Love You", 1992-93, 14 weeks)
    *Longest running female number one single [["I Will Always Love You", 1992-93, 14 weeks)
    *Longest running consecutive number one single [["I Will Always Love You", 1992-93, 14 weeks)
    *Longest running consecutive number one single by a female act [["I Will Always Love You", 1992-93, 14 weeks)
    *Longest running number one soundtrack album of the 1990s [["The Bodyguard", 1992-93, 20 weeks)
    *Most consecutive weeks at number one on the Billboard 200 and Billboard Hot 100 by a female artist simultaneously [["The Bodyguard" and "I Will Always Love You", 12 weeks, 1992-93)
    *First solo artist to place three singles simultaneously on the Billboard Hot 100 [["I Will Always Love You", "I'm Every Woman" and "I Have Nothing" in March 1993)
    *Most "triple-crown" number one singles [[pop, R&B and AC) on the Billboard charts [[4)
    *Most number one cover singles [[4)
    *Third artist to have a song debut at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 [["Exhale [[Shoop Shoop)", November 1995)
    *First soundtrack single to debut at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 [["Exhale [[Shoop Shoop)", November 1995)
    *First artist to have a number one album on the Billboard 200, R&B Albums and Gospel Albums chart [["The Preacher's Wife", December 1996)
    *Only act to have "The Star-Spangled Banner" reach the top ten of the Billboard Hot 100
    *Only recording artist to have top 5 singles in four decades [[1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s)
    *First posthumous artist to land ten albums simultaneously on the Billboard 200 [[March 2012)
    *First posthumous artist to land three albums in the top ten of the Billboard 200 [[March 2012)
    *First female artist to land ten albums simultaneously on the Billboard 200 [[March 2012)
    *First female artist to land three albums in the top ten of the Billboard 200 [[March 2012)
    *First female artist to land number one singles on the R&B albums chart [[Top R&B/Hip-Hop and Top R&B) in four decades [[1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s)
    *The artist with the longest charting greatest hits compilation by a female artist on the Billboard 200 [["I Will Always Love You: The Best of Whitney Houston", 2012-23, 160 weeks and counting)
    *The artist with the longest charting compilation by a female artist on the Top R&B Albums chart [["I Will Always Love You: The Best of Whitney Houston", 2012-23, 222 weeks and counting)

Sales records:
    *Best-selling female R&B studio album in history [["Whitney Houston", 25 million copies worldwide)
    *Best-selling debut album by a female artist in history [["Whitney Houston", 25 million copies worldwide)
    *Best-selling US physical single by a female artist of all time [["I Will Always Love You", 4 million copies in the US)
    *Best-selling physical single by a female artist of all time [["I Will Always Love You", 20 million copies worldwide)
    *Best-selling gospel album of all time [["The Preacher's Wife", 6 million copies worldwide)
    *Cited the best-selling female R&B artist of the 20th century by the Recording Industry Association of America in 1999

Accolades:
    8 Grammys [[6 competitive Grammys and 2 Grammy Hall of Fame inductions)
    22 American Music Awards
    8 Soul Train Music Awards
    19 NAACP Image Awards
    National R&B Music Hall of Fame inductee
    Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee
    An entry in the National Recording Registry in the Library of Congress [["I Will Always Love You")

Quite the list there, midnightman Thanks for sharing.

Happy Belated 60th to Whitney!

The estate quietly released a digital-only "I'm Your Baby Tonight" EP on streaming services this past week. It has the Yvonne Turner remix of I'm Your Baby Tonight [aka the international version], along with Takin' A Chance, Feels So Good and her original version of Higher Love [not the Kygo remix].
    Last edited by carlo; 08-13-2023 at 06:50 PM.