[REMOVE ADS]

The Salsoul Orchestra: Christmas Jollies I+II, The Extra Jollie Edition [3CD]

Looking forward to this one!!

DESCRIPTION

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

TRACKLIST
    • Definitive 3CD celebration of one of the greatest and best-selling Christmas albums of all time, The Salsoul Orchestra’s ‘Christmas Jollies’ produced, arranged, and conducted by the legendary Vincent Montana, Jr. [[MFSB, Goody Goody)!

• SoulMusic Records’ first joint release with popular re-issue site The Second Disc!

• 36 tracks comprising the original, hard-to-find 1976 mix of ‘Christmas Jollies’ and Tom Moulton’s complete 1992 remix plus producer Patrick Adams’ rare follow-up, Christmas Jollies II, and a whopping 11 bonus single versions and remixes!

• Key tracks include the holiday perennial ‘Merry Christmas All’ sung by Denise Montana, the merrily disco-fied ‘The Little Drummer Boy’ [[a favorite of Parliament-Funkadelic’s George Clinton!), ‘You’re All I Want For Christmas’ performed by Inner Life’s Jocelyn Brown, and epic Christmas and New Year’s medleys!

• ‘Christmas Jollies’ features the Philadelphia soul sound of the original MFSB, including Norman Harris, The Trammps’ Earl Young, Larry Washington, Don Renaldo’s Horns and Strings, and The Sweethearts of Sigma!

• Deluxe 24-page booklet includes photos, memorabilia, and a comprehensive essay by The Second Disc’s Joe Marchese drawing on new and archival quotes from Denise Montana, Vince Montana, Patrick Adams, The Salsoul Orchestra’s Bobby Eli, and others.

As a founding member of Philadelphia’s MFSB, vibraphonist Vincent Montana, Jr. played on countless hits by The O’Jays, Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes, The Three Degrees, Billy Paul, and others. But Montana had a bigger vision: a full-fledged disco orchestra combining the soulful Philly sound with the infectious dance rhythms of Latin America. The result was The Salsoul Orchestra, formed for the groundbreaking disco/dance label Salsoul Records by Montana and his MFSB bandmates. ‘Christmas Jollies’
    is a lush, orchestral salute to the holiday that became the US’ biggest-selling Christmas album of 1976 and 1977, which inspired a 1981 sequel, produced by Patrick Adams, that took a more R&B-flavoured approach, with guest vocals from Salsoul recording artist Jocelyn Brown of Inner Life, Marian Rolle, and Wendell Morrison. After a hiatus, Salsoul Records relaunched in 1992. The revived label enlisted the
    renowned Tom Moulton, “Father of the Disco Mix”, to work his magic on ‘Christmas Jollies’, the result was a more club-oriented sound to the original album, and it’s Moulton’s mix that has been primarily available for the last three decades. ‘The Extra Jolly Edition’ presents Moulton’s mix in its 1992 2LP sequence which hasn’t yet appeared on CD.

TRACK LISTING

DISC ONE
    Christmas Jollies [[Expanded Edition)
    1 The Little Drummer Boy
    2 Sleigh Ride
    3 Silent Night
    4 Merry Christmas All
    5 Christmas Time
    6 There’s Someone Who’s Knocking
    7 Christmas Medley
    8 New Year’s Medley
    Bonus Tracks
    9 We Wish You a Merry Christmas [[7” Version)
    10 The Little Drummer Boy [[7” Version)
    11 Christmas Time [[7” Version)
    12 Christmas Time [[a.k.a. Christmas Medley) [[7 Version)
    13 New Year’s Medley [[Single Version)
    14 Christmas Time [[a.k.a. Christmas Medley) [[12” Version)

DISC TWO
    Christmas Jollies II [[Expanded Edition)
    1 You’re All I Want for Christmas
    2 Deck the Halls
    3 Joy to the World
    4 The Salsoul Christmas Suite
    5 God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
    6 Joyful Spirit
    Bonus Tracks
    7 Deck the Halls [[7” Version)
    8 The Salsoul Christmas Suite [[7” Version)

DISC THREE
    Christmas Jollies: A TOM MOULTON MIX [[Expanded Edition)
    1 Christmas Medley
    2 The Little Drummer Boy
    3 New Year’s Medley
    4 Sleigh Ride
    5 Merry Christmas All
    6 There’s Someone Who’s Knocking
    7 Silent Night
    8 New Year’s Americana Suite
    Bonus Tracks
    9 Christmas Medley [[Part I)
    10 Christmas Medley [[Part II)
    11 The Little Drummer Boy [[DANK Remix)

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...e-edition-3cd/

Carlo do you have these already ??
    If you've never heard II before prepare yourself to be likely disappointed imo. [sorry]
    Would be nice to have them offered separately ....
    It's flat out dishonest to tie these two projects together . It was to do so then, and it still is today. I believe the overlap of the participants of each is zero.
    And even with the info provided here this time around , much is said about the first one and who's on it, very little about who is and more importantly - who isn't - on the second ...

There's a good reason Tom Moulton's had nothing to do with the second one.

Just a heads up ......

I don't remember if I've heard the second album before. I definitely don't own it. Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a listen on YouTube first.

I know there's been many reissues of the first album on CD over the years, and apparently the last time the original album was reissued on CD without all of the remixing and edits was sometime in the late 80s/early 90s. The CD version I have came from the EU and was from that time frame. Hopefully this latest reissue will contain the original first album, without the remixed mess.

The first disc has the original 1976 album mix of Vince Montana's CHRISTMAS JOLLIES. The second disc has producer Patrick Adams' CHRISTMAS JOLLIES II, and the third disc has Tom Moulton's remix of Montana's CHRISTMAS JOLLIES. All three discs have bonus tracks, many of which are new to CD. I've wanted to own a "complete" CHRISTMAS JOLLIES I and II set for a long, long time, so it was a thrill and a privilege to work with SoulMusic, Cherry Red, and Salsoul to finally put it together for everyone to enjoy - and with the albums in full context. The 3 CDs come with a thick 24-page booklet filled with liner notes, photos, and memorabilia. It's a great story and I hope a great listen, too.

All the best,

Joe

Hey Joe, thanks for all the great releases you are responsible for! A pity they are getting more and more expensive to order for us in Europe [[Holland in my case) due to import taxes and shipping costs. Looking forward to the Detroit Spinners releases.

Thanks for the clarification on this release, Joe! Looking forward to getting myself a copy. Did Nick Robbins do the remastering? Just wondering, as I know he's done a lot of great work for recent Soul Music Records/Cherry Red releases.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Hey Joe, thanks for all the great releases you are responsible for! A pity they are getting more and more expensive to order for us in Europe [[Holland in my case) due to import taxes and shipping costs. Looking forward to the Detroit Spinners releases.
    Thank you, Jack. The rising costs are a huge disappointment, and I truly wish it was in my control to keep our releases affordable for all. Your support is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks for the clarification on this release, Joe! Looking forward to getting myself a copy. Did Nick Robbins do the remastering? Just wondering, as I know he's done a lot of great work for recent Soul Music Records/Cherry Red releases.
    Thanks, Carlo. Yes! Nick handled the remastering and did his customary terrific work. I don't think these albums have ever sounded better. Hope you enjoy it!

I still hold out hope that the 7" Version of "Seconds" makes its way to digital one day [from master tape]. Ditto some of the other unique Salsoul 7" remixes.

These are my absolute favorite Christmas albums of all time regardless of genre. I always knew that volume two was a different set of producers than volume one but I like it nearly as much. If my memory is right, it’s volume two that has the Nutcracker Suite medley which is absolutely fantastic and magical. I can’t wait to hear these in their expanded editions. I’ve always treasured my CDs over the years and I still have my original vinyl editions as well naturally! I never thought I’d see these come out in an expanded edition though. What great news.
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-11-2023 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondDiscJoe View Post
    Thanks, Carlo. Yes! Nick handled the remastering and did his customary terrific work. I don't think these albums have ever sounded better. Hope you enjoy it!
    Thanks Joe