[REMOVE ADS]

Settle this for me- Supremes performances on the Ed Sullivan Show

I've researched how many times the Supremes [[with Diana Ross) were on the Ed Sullivan Show; and I am seeing 17 times. On another forum, I've been called out , "Sweetie, you're wrong" and told it was 25 times.

Do any of you have the correct number? Maybe, which I doubt, he was counting how many performances they did on the Sullivan show being that they often came on stage more than once.

If my 17 is wrong; I'll claim my mistake.

And just because one saw Mary Wilson live on stage at some point does not necessarily make him/her a Supremes expert...I'm just sayin'
    Last edited by jobucats; 08-07-2023 at 07:34 AM.

The figure I remember is 24, but I could also be mistaken...

It was always stated 20 but I’m sure it’s 17

I count 15.

1) Come See About Me

2) You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You

3) My World Is Empty Without You / Somewhere

4) Love is Like An Itching in My Heart / More

5) You Can't Hurry Love / Symphony Medley

6) My Favorite Things / Hits Medley

7) The Happening / Thoroughly Modern Millie/Second Hand Rose/Mame [[medley)

8) In And Out of Love / Hits Medley with the Tempts / Greensleeves/Thou Swell [[medley)

9) Forever Came Today / Fats Waller Medley

10) Always / Irving Berlin Medley

11) I'm the Greatest Star / Love Child

12) Love Child / I'm Livin' in Shame / Medley: I Get a Kick Out of You/I've Got You Under My Skin

13) The Impossible Dream / You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You / No Matter What Sign You Are

14) Hits Medley / Someday We'll Be Together

15) Medley: If My Friends Could See Me Now/Nothing Can Stop Us Now / Up the Ladder to the Roof

yes the accurate number is 15. mary's book stated 20 which is incorrect. she lists several incorrect dates. no idea who came up with 17, 24, etc. the list reese published is correct

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    yes the accurate number is 15. mary's book stated 20 which is incorrect. she lists several incorrect dates. no idea who came up with 17, 24, etc. the list reese published is correct
    For a long time, I thought it was 20 because that's what was stated by Ed Sullivan during his telegram read on the FAREWELL album. But after buying various bootleg tapes of their Sullivan appearances, I think 15 is correct.

I agree with the listing, and count of 15, by reese.

Except for their first two appearances, I saw all of the remainder when each was first broadcast. The count is supported by the bootleg VHS tapes from the 1980s. I imagine there are websites that would support this number, as well.

Discrepancies may be due to repeat broadcasts during the summer reruns schedule. If someone kept a journal they may have listed those reruns as additional appearances. They would be correct as to how many times The Supremes were on the Ed Sullivan Show but it would be incorrect as to how many times they appeared LIVE. Splitting hairs.

If we want to split hairs maybe we should add the time The Jackson 5 made their appearance and Diana stood up in the audience when she was introduced by Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I count 15.
    Reese, Thank you so much for this documentation. It mirrors what I would have come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Reese, Thank you so much for this documentation. It mirrors what I would have come up with.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    If we want to split hairs maybe we should add the time The Jackson 5 made their appearance and Diana stood up in the audience when she was introduced by Ed.
    Diana also stood up in the audience during one of the Miracles' appearances.

According to The Motown DVD The Best Of The Supremes On The Ed Sullivan Show it states on the back "The Supremes made 16 appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show - more than any other Motown artist or group". I agree with them as there is a mistake on Reese's list with #13 The Impossible Dream & No Matter What Sign You Are were both performed on May 11, 1969 when they wore the silver dresses with one green & the other two blue tops. On Sep 07, 1969 they sang You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You and they wore solid gold floor length gowns. They only sang one song.
    Both of these appearances can be seen on the above mentioned DVD. So the correct number of appearances is 16 Times.

Quote Originally Posted by noel181 View Post
    According to The Motown DVD The Best Of The Supremes On The Ed Sullivan Show it states on the back "The Supremes made 16 appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show - more than any other Motown artist or group". I agree with them as there is a mistake on Reese's list with #13 The Impossible Dream & No Matter What Sign You Are were both performed on May 11, 1969 when they wore the silver dresses with one green & the other two blue tops. On Sep 07, 1969 they sang You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You and they wore solid gold floor length gowns. They only sang one song.
    Both of these appearances can be seen on the above mentioned DVD. So the correct number of appearances is 16 Times.
    Your information is inaccurate. Reese’s listing and information is accurate.

They sang 3 songs on May 11, 1969. A YouTube search can quickly resolve this mix-up.

Impossible Dream and You’re Nobody were performed wearing the gold gowns. Sign was done wearing the silver outfits with blue and green highlights.

An easy way to determine that the 3 songs were performed on the same program is that all 3 ladies are wearing the same wigs for all 3 songs.

Impossible Dream
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FYXnAT...BkcmVhbQ%3D%3D

You’re Nobody
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wKpMBd...VzIHlvdQ%3D%3D

Sign
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D_s5H8...lnbiB5b3UgYXJl

You do know all three performances are on the same show. The impossible dream and you’re nobody were performed Back to back
    Quote Originally Posted by noel181 View Post

I guess you're correct about all 3 songs appearing on same date. I never saw The Impossible Dream before. I still wonder why the DVD says they made 16 appearances.

This question sure is confusing. This list comes from a Sullivan site and it lists 16 appearances. But it does not list their May 11, 1969 appearance of No Matter What Sign You Are. And it also does not mention The New Supremes debut on the show with If They Can See Me Now and Up The Ladder To The Roof. If you include those, wouldn't it be 18 appearances? Totally confused
    1-December 27, 1964: “Come See About Me”
    2-May 2, 1965: “Stop! In the Name of Love” and “Shake”
    3-September 12, 1965: “Nothing but Heartaches” and “The House of the Rising Sun”
    4-October 24, 1965: “I Hear a Symphony” and “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away”
    5-February 20, 1966: “My World Is Empty Without You” and “Michelle”
    6-September 25, 1966: “You Can’t Hurry Love” and “The Happening”
    7-January 15, 1967: “Love Is Here and Now You’re Gone” and “There’s a Kind of Hush”
    8-May 28, 1967: “The Happening” and “More”
    9-November 19, 1967: Medley of The Temptations’ hits [[“Get Ready” and “[[I Know) I’m Losing You”) and The Supremes’ hits [[“Stop! In the Name of Love” and “Baby Love”) with The Temptations
    10-February 18, 1968: Medley of Broadway songs [[“Mame”, “Hello Dolly”, and “Cabaret”) with The Temptations
    11-May 5, 1968: Medley of Irving Berlin songs with Ethel Merman
    12-September 29, 1968: “Love Child” and “Some Things You Never Get Used To”
    13-December 1, 1968: Medley of Christmas songs [[“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”, “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town”, and “My Favorite Things”) with The Temptations
    14-February 16, 1969: Medley of Motown songs [[“I’m Gonna Make You Love Me”, “This Guy’s in Love with You”, and “A Place in the Sun”) with The Temptations
    15-June 15, 1969: Medley of Beatles songs [[“Hey Jude”, “Yesterday”, and “With a Little Help from My Friends”) with The Temptations
    16-December 21, 1969: “Someday We’ll Be Together” [[final performance as a group)

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This question sure is confusing. This list comes from a Sullivan site and it lists 16 appearances. But it does not list their May 11, 1969 appearance of No Matter What Sign You Are. And it also does not mention The New Supremes debut on the show with If They Can See Me Now and Up The Ladder To The Roof. If you include those, wouldn't it be 18 appearances? Totally confused
    1-December 27, 1964: “Come See About Me”
    2-May 2, 1965: “Stop! In the Name of Love” and “Shake”
    3-September 12, 1965: “Nothing but Heartaches” and “The House of the Rising Sun”
    4-October 24, 1965: “I Hear a Symphony” and “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away”
    5-February 20, 1966: “My World Is Empty Without You” and “Michelle”
    6-September 25, 1966: “You Can’t Hurry Love” and “The Happening”
    7-January 15, 1967: “Love Is Here and Now You’re Gone” and “There’s a Kind of Hush”
    8-May 28, 1967: “The Happening” and “More”
    9-November 19, 1967: Medley of The Temptations’ hits [[“Get Ready” and “[[I Know) I’m Losing You”) and The Supremes’ hits [[“Stop! In the Name of Love” and “Baby Love”) with The Temptations
    10-February 18, 1968: Medley of Broadway songs [[“Mame”, “Hello Dolly”, and “Cabaret”) with The Temptations
    11-May 5, 1968: Medley of Irving Berlin songs with Ethel Merman
    12-September 29, 1968: “Love Child” and “Some Things You Never Get Used To”
    13-December 1, 1968: Medley of Christmas songs [[“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”, “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town”, and “My Favorite Things”) with The Temptations
    14-February 16, 1969: Medley of Motown songs [[“I’m Gonna Make You Love Me”, “This Guy’s in Love with You”, and “A Place in the Sun”) with The Temptations
    15-June 15, 1969: Medley of Beatles songs [[“Hey Jude”, “Yesterday”, and “With a Little Help from My Friends”) with The Temptations
    16-December 21, 1969: “Someday We’ll Be Together” [[final performance as a group)
    This list must be the appearances that The Supremes made on the Ed Sullivan Show in an alternate universe
    Last edited by carlo; 08-08-2023 at 02:26 PM.

Does anyone remember a Sullivan show that was a special episode called "The Swinging Soulful Sixties?" It aired after Diana left the group and featured a lengthy segment highlighting The Supremes appearances. It might have even been a special. I remember Ed saying "We were fortunate enough to watch Diana Ross's rise to stardom every step of the way. The clips started with Come See About Me and ended with People from the Funny Girl medley. I had this on an audio tape for years. I know it doesn't count as an appearance. Just wondering if anyone else remembered it.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    This list must be the appearances that The Supremes made on the Ed Sullivan Show in an alternate universe
    I was totally confused after reading this thread and doing some research. Further research also showed Diana Ross on Sullivan singing Reach Out and Touch and The Impossible Dream in Jan of 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Does anyone remember a Sullivan show that was a special episode called "The Swinging Soulful Sixties?" It aired after Diana left the group and featured a lengthy segment highlighting The Supremes appearances. It might have even been a special. I remember Ed saying "We were fortunate enough to watch Diana Ross's rise to stardom every step of the way. The clips started with Come See About Me and ended with People from the Funny Girl medley. I had this on an audio tape for years. I know it doesn't count as an appearance. Just wondering if anyone else remembered it.
    In his 1985 book on Diana, J. Randy listed a show called "23 Years of Sullivan" that had a Ross retrospective. It aired in October of 1971. Maybe it is this?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I was totally confused after reading this thread and doing some research. Further research also showed Diana Ross on Sullivan singing Reach Out and Touch and The Impossible Dream in Jan of 1970.
    Reese's list above [see post #4] is correct and complete. Diana never appeared solo on the Ed Sullivan Show.

my only guess is that the sources that are stating an appearance count other than 15 are inaccurate and they should have been a bit more diligent with their research

I have the Sullivan DVD but had forgotten that they never performed 'Stop', 'Arms', 'Symphony', 'Hangin'', & 'Love is' when they were promoting the singles. I wonder why there was no TV promo for 'Some Things'? It's a great fav of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I have the Sullivan DVD but had forgotten that they never performed 'Stop', 'Arms', 'Symphony', 'Hangin'', & 'Love is' when they were promoting the singles. I wonder why there was no TV promo for 'Some Things'? It's a great fav of mine.
    my guess is the assassination of MLK interrupted things. the girls were currently booked at the Copa but then cancelled. it's possible a regular appearance on Sullivan had been planned but was scrapped. mary's book lists an appearance on 5/5 but we know that didn't happen. that's a bit early to perform the song, given it wasn't released until end of May. they also went to Germany in June. not sure how long they were overseas. And then you're into the summer - didn't the Sullivan show only do new episodes during the traditional tv season? weren't the summer episodes reruns?

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I'm deceased.

I wonder if the discrepancy is the result of scheduled appearances that never materialized? For instance, the Sullivan show records might show that the group was scheduled to appear and, for whatever reason, when that didn't happen, the record doesn't reflect that the group did not, in fact, appear. So when a researcher goes strolling through the record, they see 20 scheduled appearances instead of 15, relay it to Ed who puts it in the telegram. And maybe the 16 mentioned on the dvd is a typo. I'm just guessing here.

I've been through all the Ed Sullivan sites that list guests and 15 appearances is correct as Reese, Carlo and others have said. 14 with Diana & 1 with Jean. Just realised that 'Reflections' is also missing from the hits I already mentioned!

27/12/64 Come See About Me
    10/10/65 You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You
    20/02/66 My World Is Empty Without You / Somewhere
    01/05/66 Love is Like An Itching in My Heart / More
    25/09/66 You Can't Hurry Love / Symphony Medley
    04/12/66 My Favourite Things / Hits Medley
    07/05/67 The Happening / Thoroughly Modern Millie/Second Hand Rose/Mame [[medley)
    19/11/67 In And Out of Love / Hits Medley with the Tempts / Greensleeves/Thou Swell [[medley)
    24/03/68 Forever Came Today / Fats Waller Medley
    05/05/68 Always / Irving Berlin Medley
    29/09/68 I'm the Greatest Star / Love Child
    05/01/69 Love Child / I'm Livin' in Shame / Medley: I Get a Kick Out of You/I've Got You Under My Skin
    11/05/69 The Impossible Dream / You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You / No Matter What Sign You Are
    21/12/69 Hits Medley / Someday We'll Be Together
    15/02/70 Medley: If My Friends Could See Me Now/Nothing Can Stop Us Now / Up the Ladder to the Roof

people have said that Ed was very mad with motown in 1970. Ed loved the idea that the Sups had their final tv appearance with Diana on his show. and that the new group debuted on his show. apparently he also wanted Diana to debut on his show. but i've heard that berry didn't want over exposure for her so she basically did NO tv at first but then appeared on Mike Douglas. this would have pissed Ed off and so he didn't do much more with motown. although there wasn't much time left for his show anyway.

the Temps still did Just My Imagination in 71. GKATP did If I Was Your Woman.

so i don't know if any of this bad blood is true or not. but another interesting component to discuss. if nothing else it's odd that neither DR or the Sups appeared on the show after Feb 70.

people have said that Ed was very mad with motown in 1970. Ed loved the idea that the Sups had their final tv appearance with Diana on his show. and that the new group debuted on his show. apparently he also wanted Diana to debut on his show. but i've heard that berry didn't want over exposure for her so she basically did NO tv at first but then appeared on Mike Douglas. this would have pissed Ed off and so he didn't do much more with motown. although there wasn't much time left for his show anyway.

the Temps still did Just My Imagination in 71. GKATP did If I Was Your Woman.

so i don't know if any of this bad blood is true or not. but another interesting component to discuss. if nothing else it's odd that neither DR or the Sups appeared on the show after Feb 70.
    Diana's sole tv appearance that first year was on the Merv Griffin show and she didn't do that until AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH was already #1.

I remember reading there was some disappointment from Ed about Diana not appearing on his show. It could be true but it doesn't seem to affect the booking of other Motown acts since the Tops, the Tempts, the Pips, and the J5 still appeared on his show during the rest of its run.

Someone also mentioned the possibility of a Supremes/Tops joint appearance but I can't remember where I read that.

I do know that during one 70s Tempts appearance on his show, Mike Douglas said he was hurt that Ed Sullivan said that the Supremes and Tempts first TV appearance together was on his show. Melvin confirmed that their first joint appearance was on Mike Douglas.
    Last edited by reese; 08-10-2023 at 06:43 PM.

Diana's sole tv appearance that first year was on the Merv Griffin show and she didn't do that until AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH was already #1.

I remember reading there was some disappointment from Ed about Diana not appearing on his show. It could be true but it doesn't seem to affect the booking of other Motown acts since the Tops, the Tempts, the Pips, and the J5 still appeared on his show during the rest of its run.

Someone also mentioned the possibility of a Supremes/Tops joint appearance but I can't remember where I read that.

I do know that during one 70s Tempts appearance on his show, Mike Douglas said he was hurt that Ed Sullivan said that the Supremes and Tempts first TV appearance together was on his show. Melvin confirmed that their first joint appearance was on Mike Douglas.
    that's right - i thought it was Mike but it was Merv. lol as i was typing it, i was kinda like "mike douglas?!?! berry REALLY went with that show first??? " lol Merv was a bit bigger but still not Sullivan

it's a shame motown never was able to really coordinate tours and tv appearances for any of the sup duets. seems like a no brainer, especially considering how huge these acts were.

Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin were really two different audiences. Mike Douglas was an afternoon talk show while Merv Griffin appeared early evening. Mike Douglas had a steady and loyal afternoon audience. That's why he was able to get some big names to appear.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin were really two different audiences. Mike Douglas was an afternoon talk show while Merv Griffin appeared early evening. Mike Douglas had a steady and loyal afternoon audience. That's why he was able to get some big names to appear.
    Where I lived, the two shows aired in the same timeslot, 4-5:30. I liked Merv but I was partial to Mike, who seemed to have more acts that I liked.

Could the discrepancies be due to how you count them? For instance, if they sing 3 songs on one show, is that 3 appearances or 1 appearance?

I seem to remember [[when I edited the episodes we did for PBS syndication) we had a longer cut of one of their medley's that included "Everything Is Good About You"?

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    I seem to remember [[when I edited the episodes we did for PBS syndication) we had a longer cut of one of their medley's that included "Everything Is Good About You"?
    That is the appearance from 1966 where they did YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE and a medley of songs from the I HEAR A SYMPHONY album. On some versions I've seen, EVERYTHING... and other songs get edited out.
    Last edited by reese; 08-12-2023 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Could the discrepancies be due to how you count them? For instance, if they sing 3 songs on one show, is that 3 appearances or 1 appearance?
    I would count it as one appearance if they sang multiple songs in the same episode.
    Last edited by reese; 08-12-2023 at 03:49 PM.

I would count it as one appearance if they sang multiple songs in the same episode.
    correct - i tried that approach myself and you get way more than 20

and yes, the original version of the Symphony medley was Symphony, Stranger in Paradise, Wonderful Wonderful, Everything is Good About You, Without a Song.

interesting that this is such a completely different medley lineup versus the one in their live act of With a Song in My Heart, Stranger in Paradise, Wonderful Wonderful, Unchained Melody, Without a Song

correct - i tried that approach myself and you get way more than 20
    That's pretty much how I landed on 24 initially.

Thank you to all who have taken the time to put in their input.

To clarify my initial question, I was looking for the number of times that the Supremes, with Diana Ross, were featured on the Ed Sullivan show. Another way to ask is: On how many DIFFERENT DATES did the Supremes, with Diana Ross, appear on the show?

To me, coming onto the stage at different times on the same date did not bump up their number of appearances. Singing more than one song, whether it was in a medley or sung right after another song, did not bump up their number of appearances. Diana Ross showing up in the audience did not bump up the number of the Supremes appearances. That is an interesting fact, however.

So I am going with Reese's answer, minus the Supremes performance with Jean Terrell.
    Again, I have enjoyed reading the response, and I have learned a lot.

I guess it’s time to send a little reminder:

http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/

All performances of Diana Ross with Supremes on the Ed Sullivan show are referenced here with all information you might need.
    I guess the mistakes in most biographies, books, DVD etc. are partly due to taking account of some off season rebroadcasts.
    After their first hits, the Supremes were booked in the Ed Sullivan show by seasons. I mean, for example, they were booked by contract for 3 appearances for the 1965-66 season and some appearances dates on contract planned months and months in advance were moved due to schedules constraints.

And yes, Reese is correct with his list 😊