[REMOVE ADS]

Why did Ross name her kid Ross??

Was it ever explained??

Are there other examples of celebs or otherwise using their last name as their kid's first name?........ and again ...why?? for what purpose ?

And I would think the why would have a stronger explanation than, 'why not??'

I think I remember having read, or maybe was it in an interview, that it has something to do with Diana's delivery.Sorry I don't recall the exact source, but I think Diana said that if the labor would be difficult or painful she would name her son Ross [[apparently it was).
    But I am absolutely not sure of this and i would blame myself to spread wrong rumors.
    And anyway, if this is linked to the circumstances of her delivery, I suppose that it's a too personal question for any of us to know the truth about it [[and do we need to ? - I don't :-) )

Yeah…. Why not????? Although at one time, wasn’t her “who said that nothing good’s gonna last forever”, maybe, just maybe at that time she thought it would. So the child’s last name would be Naess. So IMO it’s obvious it was a nod to her family name.

My grandson has my surname as his first name.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I think I remember having read, or maybe was it in an interview, that it has something to do with Diana's delivery.Sorry I don't recall the exact source, but I think Diana said that if the labor would be difficult or painful she would name her son Ross [[apparently it was).
    But I am absolutely not sure of this and i would blame myself to spread wrong rumors.
    )
    The hell you say!!

gotta say it ..... how bizarre!!!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-06-2023 at 02:23 AM.

Likely to give her kid[[s) a foot in the door, which I'm sure has helped tremendously. Much like Tracee Joy Silberstein using Tracee Ellis Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Likely to give her kid[[s) a foot in the door, which I'm sure has helped tremendously. Much like Tracee Joy Silberstein using Tracee Ellis Ross.
    But did she? All her children changed their last names to Ross, perhaps for the reason of getting their foot in the door. If Ross had done that, he would have been Ross Ross. So he kept his dad's last name.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    But did she? All her children changed their last names to Ross, perhaps for the reason of getting their foot in the door. If Ross had done that, he would have been Ross Ross. So he kept his dad's last name.
    I just did a search and there was an explanation of why Diana named him Ross.
    It is believed that Diana Ross named her son Ross Naess after her father, Fred Ross Sr., who recently died. She wanted to honor her father’s memory and legacy by giving his name to her youngest son with Arne Naess Jr. Ross Naess has said that he is proud of his name and his family, and that he loves his mother very much. He also said that he would not mind being called Ross Ross if he changed his last name to match his siblings. He joked that it would be a catchy name for a rapper or a DJ.

It is believed that Diana Ross named her son Ross Naess after her father, Fred Ross Sr., who recently died. She wanted to honor her father’s memory and legacy by giving his name to her youngest son with Arne Naess Jr. Ross Naess has said that he is proud of his name and his family, and that he loves his mother very much. He also said that he would not mind being called Ross Ross if he changed his last name to match his siblings. He joked that it would be a catchy name for a rapper or a DJ.
    The boys were out of high school when Fred Ross Sr passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Was it ever explained??

Are there other examples of celebs or otherwise using their last name as their kid's first name?........ and again ...why?? for what purpose ?

And I would think the why would have a stronger explanation than, 'why not??'
    so we could call him the RossNess Monster

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    My grandson has my surname as his first name.
    It's a common practice. And it's especially useful in genealogy because some parents did give their children the mother's maiden name as a first name, sometimes the maiden or surnames of parents or grandparents.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    The boys were out of high school when Fred Ross Sr passed.
    So much for sources But I reread it and it seems that I misinterpreted it.

"According to some sources, Diana Ross named her son Ross Naess after her father, Fred Ross Sr., who died in 2007. She wanted to honor her father’s memory and legacy by giving his name to her youngest son with Arne Naess Jr. Ross Naess has said that he is proud of his name and his family,

So she named her son to honor her dad's memory, but her dad was not dead when she named him. I can understand that. Everyone who has a Jr. attached to their name is named to honor their dad even though their dad ,most usually, is not dead at the time

What did Deborah Cox name her son?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    What did Deborah Cox name her son?
    Dick ??

Name:  sarc emog.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  4.6 KB

!!!!he haw !!

If that were the reason, naming him Fred as opposed to a surname would have made for a more fitting tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    If that were the reason, naming him Fred as opposed to a surname would have made for a more fitting tribute.
    Mr. Ross already had a son named Fred, who may have also named his son Fred. Keep in mind, as much as Diana may have wanted to honor her father, she may not have wanted a son named Fred because she may not have particularly cared for her father's name. The surname Ross also carries a lot of heritage, which Diana was likely proud of. Truth be told, if I had a choice between being named Fred or Ross, I'm going with Ross.

Regarding names, I've always been confused about what Diana's middle name is. Sometimes I see it as Earle, other times as Ernestine. Anybody know which is correct?

And what about Mary? Anyone ever seen a middle name for her?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post

Regarding names, I've always been confused about what Diana's middle name is. Sometimes I see it as Earle, other times as Ernestine. Anybody know which is correct?

This has confused me as well. I never saw "Earle" entered into the discussion until I read some books from the UK. I think her full birth name is Diana Ernestine Ross, although I've never seen it confirmed.

I don't recall Mary mentioning having a middle name, only writing that her father named her "Mary" after one of his old girlfriends.

I grew up in Diana's generation, and many kids had two first names [[Billy Joe, Peggy Sue, Mary Ann etc.) I believe Diana's first name was Diane Ernestine and her middle name was Earle. This is a guess, not a fact.
    Last edited by milven; 08-06-2023 at 07:20 PM.

Let's try this one on for size:

It was also the era of splitting your last name to include both parents'. Perhaps that's what Diana wanted to do , divide the kid's last name into Naess-Ross or knowing Diana [lol] Ross-Naess, but Arne was having none of it.

Maybe this was Diana's clever way of dancing around it.

Regardless, to fully honor her new husband, she would've done better to have used his name first naming their child Arne Ross Naess. Maybe this is indicative of when the unraveling began ....

Mr. Ross already had a son named Fred, who may have also named his son Fred. Keep in mind, as much as Diana may have wanted to honor her father, she may not have wanted a son named Fred because she may not have particularly cared for her father's name. The surname Ross also carries a lot of heritage, which Diana was likely proud of. Truth be told, if I had a choice between being named Fred or Ross, I'm going with Ross.

I remember seeing her listed as Diane Earl on the the back cover of an album that chronicled the groups early years as back up singers.
    Diana apparently wanted her third daughter named Fred, but owing to a spelling error on the the birth certificate ended up as Chudney.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Diana apparently wanted her third daughter named Fred, but owing to a spelling error on the the birth certificate ended up as Chudney.
    !!! hee haw !!

[ there's gotta be a story with that one]

I don't know but it's weird he had that name. Like someone said, it would've been better to have the name Arne Ross-Naess.

Maybe she wanted to name him after one of her album titles? In that case he got off easy. He could have been named "Silk Electric Naess" or "Baby It's Me Naess"