[REMOVE ADS]

Joe Hunter Band; 1960

A related question to the one on Benny Benjamin & other Motown musicians. . . .. Berry Gordy got his song writing start via Jackie Wilson. BG's songs boosted JW's career & led both to bigger & better things. BG now had some traction & so hired Benny Benjamin [[58) & James Jamerson [[59) to work on all Motown sessions [[Jamerson was touring behind Jackie Wilson ahead of joining Motown).
    Jackie W had become a massive star in 58/59/60 & so was out on the road a lot touring. As he was a big star, he was getting decent performance fees & so could afford his own backing band.
    In 58 initially that was the Joe Morris Band, but Joe [[the R&B trumpet player) passed suddenly at the age of just 36, so I guess his band fell apart when that happened. . . . . . . . SIDE ISSUE HERE ... Chris Colombo also called himself Joe Morris on some 1950's recordings, but at the time in qiestion he was leading the house band @ Atlantic City's famous CLUB HARLEM [[so I guess touring behind JW would have been out of the question).
    Next came the Anett Cobb Orchestra. I have no idea how many members of the orch there were, but at that time [[when Arnett recorded) his band was 5 strong -- and it included the likes of Ray Bryant & Ray Barretto. As Arnett was the only brass player in his band, I guess extra brass guys were added to the line up of his touring orchestra.
    Next up for Jackie W [[by 61) was the Joe Hunter Band. After that came the likes of the Hal Singer Band and Sil Austin's Band. Later in the 60's, shows would just be advertised as Jackie Wilson & orchestra.
    MY QUESTION ... does anyone know what the line-up of the Joe Hunter Band would have been in 1960 ? ... I guess it would have included other guys who ended up at Hitsville.
    ... It can't have included EVD though, as I believe he was touring as a member of [[Crazy) Chris Columbo's / Christopher Columbus group. EVD sounds to be playing the organ on Chris Colombo's 1962 45 track "You Can't Sit Down".
    Name:  JackieWilsonCarrsBch61.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  45.6 KB
    Last edited by jsmith; 08-01-2023 at 07:31 AM.

Many thanks -- I'll check it out.