[REMOVE ADS]

4 tops changing times lp

I revisited this excellent lp and just wanted to share my thoughts and get other opinions on it.

The 4 Tops had rebounded nicely in 1970 with the Still Waters Run Deep lp, which is their second most successful studio album. It was a concept set by Frank Wilson and each song on that album had single potential. It was a slow burn success as the two singles culled from the album helped propel sales. Also, FM radio really took to the album. Frank Wilson had found a new sound and concept on the group. And they were once again Hot!

Likewise, the followup set, Changing Times, released in the fall of 1970 is another collection of funk and soul tracks on the group. The problem with it not achieving much success was that it was hurriedly issued while the Still Waters album was still selling big. Add to this, was the companion piece, The Magnificent 7 duets with the Supremes issued at the same time. This was simply too much product at a delicate time for the group. After a two year dry period, Still Waters brought the Tops back into the mainstream. At Motown they were tarnished by the huge success Norman Whitfield was having with The Temptations. The 4 Tops fell to B-level artists after HDH left. More care should have been given to the timing of these releases. This is especially true when considering that a first single off the album was not issued til nearly two months after the lp hit the streets.

Changing Times is another solid effort. Side A is chock full of single potential songs. Their Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head ranks up their with MacArthur Park in terms of production values and quality. Though Side B is not as potential, it is still enjoyable.

My only complaint was the selection of Just 7 Numbers as the first single. After the glorious productions of It's All In The Game and Still Water [[Love), this song just prods along with a clunky kind of sound. I think the title track should have been the first single. In These Changing Times is a gorgeous song, minus all the sound effects at the beginning. Another inspired Levi Stubbs vocal. Right Before My Eyes should have been the second single. Very upbeat and danceable. If both these tracks had been successful then maybe a remix of Just 7 Numbers with more instrumentation may have worked.

All in all, Changing Times is a great album, IMHO

I absolutely love this LP! My opinions on the Four Tops' music will always be biased, but I think the whole album is beautifully arranged, creatively produced, and expertly performed. I love Lawrence leading on "Try To Remember" and how hushed and introspective the entire track feels. I love the Bass / Horn spotlight in the middle of "Raindrops," the tambourine masterclass on "Right Before My Eyes," and the incredible bass/guitar interplay on "Sing A Song Of Yesterday."

I think the title track was a great single - and John Legend used it to great effect on his song "Each Day Gets Better" decades later. Sadly it's hard to see the rest of the album yielding something that is danceable and catchy enough for the average listener to hook into on first listen [[imagining hearing one of these tracks on the radio for the first time while driving, working, etc. - I'm trying to imagine if I would have any of the songs stuck in my head after it played only that first time). I think the album was wonderful creatively but I can see why it was a bit too different to compete commercially. There is so much rise and fall in the arrangement, so many mid to low tempo songs with time for exploration, so much experimentation in the instrumentation, and so many songs that have lyrics that scratch at a deeper and less predictable/repetitive surface that I can understand what happened.

Edit:: Thinking back, I think that the most traditionally "catchy" song of the bunch for me might be "I Almost Had Her" - but even that may have been a bit too experimental to have a chance taken on it for a single release and push. But I sure do love it.

But man.. The songs, Levi's singing, the Tops' harmonies, Jamerson's bass, the double-drums of Uriel/Pistol, the teamwork interplay of the Funks, the expansive strings and horns, and so much more make this one of my all time favorite albums as a whole.

Nice to see this album getting some attention. One of the first Tamla Motown albums I got [[actually my Mum bought it as a present for me - I was young once). Even now I listen to it from time to time, but of course either digitally or on CD. Sounds even better through headphones. Hearing the title song without the special effects seems a bit weird. The vocals are a joy - the Tops harmonies really excel. I like the album because it's different, but "Just Seven Numbers" never became a favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Likewise, the followup set, Changing Times, released in the fall of 1970 is another collection of funk and soul tracks on the group. The problem with it not achieving much success was that it was hurriedly issued while the Still Waters album was still selling big. Add to this, was the companion piece, The Magnificent 7 duets with the Supremes issued at the same time. This was simply too much product at a delicate time for the group. After a two year dry period, Still Waters brought the Tops back into the mainstream. At Motown they were tarnished by the huge success Norman Whitfield was having with The Temptations. The 4 Tops fell to B-level artists after HDH left. More care should have been given to the timing of these releases. This is especially true when considering that a first single off the album was not issued til nearly two months after the lp hit the streets.
    While I've never listened to Four Tops' Changing Times LP, I do agree with you about the timing of Motown's LP releases during this time. As you already mentioned, Changing Times had to compete not only with Still Waters Run Deep but also with their The Magnificent 7 album with The Supremes. It was the beginning of a tough decade for Motown Records [and many of their best known acts].

I've always over looked this LP....
    I will give a spin or two to see what I've missed.

Click!

I hate to do this to you 'Changing Times' fans, but if you listen carefully [[play the CD wearing headphones), you'll hear that the between-tracks ticking clock effect was seemingly dubbed in from a Sound Effects LP or single, and there is a scratch/click on the record that was used. The flaw is on all the ticking clock audio segments. Once you've noticed it for the first time, you'll hear it every time you replay the album! Without fail! I can't help it - I notice these things!. Fave track for me is Vincent DiMirco's ''I Almost Had Her [[But She Got Away).

I have never heard this album in its entirety.

I guess I am in the minority...I like "Just 7 Numbers."

This is also one of my favorite album covers; the pictoral representation of the different generations is great, with the older gentleman's posture and facial expression seeming to say, "What's Going On?" Even his clothes point back to an earlier time.

Below is the YouTube playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaA3...IK9L_kS_Yt-9sD
    Last edited by lockhartgary; 07-31-2023 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Correct punctuation

I bought the 45 of "Just 7 Numbers" but not the LP. then I think the next 45 I bought by the Tops was "Keeper of the Castle" .

I love this album too, especially the title track, "Just Seven Numbers", "I Almost Had Her" and "Right Before My Eyes".

After reading this thread I decided to dip into the album on YouTube as I've never heard all of it. One question: who is responsible for the slightly fuzz lead guitar on Frank Wilson's productions from this era on the Tops and the Supremes?

And having listened.... what a strange hotch-potch it is

Anyone know who is responsible for the fuzz guitar lead, used by Frank Wilson on his productions from this era with the Tops and the Supremes

My guess would be Dennis Coffey on the fuzz guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Anyone know who is responsible for the fuzz guitar lead, used by Frank Wilson on his productions from this era with the Tops and the Supremes

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    And having listened.... what a strange hotch-potch it is
    You can say that again! I've been playing it a few times, and enjoying it, but as I've never been too keen on Motown doing outside covers [[ some great exceptions) I'm concentrating on the in house tunes.
    "Something's tearing at the edges of time", [[BTW who was Sharon Lucas?), "I almost had her), "Sing a song of yesterday" and "Right before my eyes" are standing out for me...I've been sleeping on these for over 50 years.....well "Right before my eyes" I liked previously .

IMO Motown post HDH fell into the trap of trying to have Levi "shouting" at his top range ALA "Bernadette" on many tracks. Nobody could replicate HDH's feel for the group.
    The Four Tops better tunes post HDH had Levi in a Mellow Mood...a great smooth singer when allowed to "Sing" and not SHOUT.....More "Yesterday's Dreams" would have worked ...for me at least.
    Last edited by snakepit; 08-01-2023 at 01:37 PM.

After reading this thread I went back to listen to this album again. I recall a couple years ago I took the time to listen to all the Tops albums from 68-72, until they left Motown. My observation with this particular album is that while I tend to love Frank Wilson's writing and production, this album just leaves me kind of empty. There are really no stand out songs or songs that were missed hit single opportunities. Levi's vocals are great as usual, but nothing groundbreaking or new. I think I heard the Andantes on just one or two tracks, but it's mostly the Tops. The album is a bit too mellow for me, none of the tracks are upbeat or danceable. I'm not sure who this album or singles would have appeal to, aside from diehard Top fans.

I think the fact that the LP only contains 9 tracks might not have helped it's chances.
    Many of the tracks on side 2 of the Four Tops "Lost & Found" CD would have been welcome on this LP.

Personally I do prefer the Tops in a mellow mood. I do agree that there are not really any stand out singles tracks but then why does there need to be? An album for its own sake is just as good. Mind you, I wonder how the Tops would have sounded on "Do I Love You [[Indeed I Do)".

I hated the ticking clock between tracks, they made making up compilation cassettes messy back in the day!

I also think that the revised 45 version of the title track was far more punchy than the IMO lame LP version.

I would have much preferred the album without the MOR songs and some Motown original songs instead.

As mysterysinger above mentioned, I would have loved to hear the Tops sing Do I Love You with the Funks playing the background track. They would have nailed it!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I love this album too, especially the title track, "Just Seven Numbers", "I Almost Had Her" and "Right Before My Eyes".
    Me too....

I'm afraid, apart from Just Seven Numbers, this album just doesn't do it for me. On the other hand their later Nature Planned It album, I absolutely love.

I'd not played this since the day I bought it! So I just skimmed through it just now. My opinion has not changed, it's a mess! Only tracks that I like are 'Just Seven Numbers' & Something's Tearing at the Edges of Time'. Don't think I'll ever be playing it again.

the cover is suitable as a dart board .....although hitting the bullseye might cause Lawrence Peyton a little discomfort