[REMOVE ADS]

Tribute To Florence Ballard

This was posted to Youtube. I'm guessing this was shown at the Flo Ballard convention or was a keepsake. The video contains some of Mary's thoughts regarding Florence and then a montage of Supremes performances and clips, along with audio of "Good News" and Flo's version of "The Impossible Dream". Really nothing in the video that we diehards haven't seen before, but I'm guessing many of us haven't seen this particular tribute before, unless you attended the convention, or this has been floating around among fans for a long time. It's new to me. Anyway, I always think these kinds of Flo videos are worth mentioning, considering how many "Flo Ballard Tragic Figure Victim of Diana Ross" vids I quickly bypass in my YT feed on the regular.

A couple months ago I mentioned in a thread my thoughts about Flo's "Impossible Dream". I didn't have any issue with the arrangement, although I think the song is better interpreted as a ballad. My issue was the cold feel of the track itself and also my opinion that Flo's vocal wasn't very good. I have my favorite Flo ABC cuts that I enjoy playing. The ones that I don't like or don't particularly care for, I never listen to them. Haven't listened to them in years. Of course, that includes "The Impossible Dream". I can't remember the last time I allowed myself to sit through it.

Watching this tribute, I sat through "The Impossible Dream" and am now forced to remix my opinion a bit. I still take no issue with the arrangement. I still think the track lacks any kind of warmth. But Flo's vocal isn't nearly as bad as I remember in my head. There are moments that don't flatter her skills. I think those are the moments when she's using her lower tone. I don't care for that. On the other hand, when she's singing in a higher tone, she sounds good, a bit more like the old Florence. Still not knocking my socks off, but nowhere near as bad as I hear it in my head up until this moment.

Knowing this thread is about a video tribute for Florence I don't want to open the door to any negativity. Hopefully the thread offers up opportunities for us to talk about our love of Florence or why we love her, favorite moments, etc. But I thought I'd offer my amended opinion of her vocal on "Impossible Dream" up anyway, since it went from a negative to a positive, even if in a minimal way.

A friend of mine sent me this video back in the 90s but it was lacking Mary's intro and outro, as well as the end credits. Mary looks absolutely beautiful here and her love for Flo is so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Mary looks absolutely beautiful here and her love for Flo is so obvious.
    I agree 100 percent with both observations!

Did anyone in the forum attend the convention? I've always wondered what was presented other than photographs. Were there genuine Florence artifacts? Did people give speeches? I don't believe I've read much detail about the event, just seen photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I agree 100 percent with both observations!

Did anyone in the forum attend the convention? I've always wondered what was presented other than photographs. Were there genuine Florence artifacts? Did people give speeches? I don't believe I've read much detail about the event, just seen photographs.
    I recall seeing a photo of Mary and Flo's daughter Lisa in JET magazine. I think it was taken from this event.

I think one of my Diana friends but I don't remember him sharing too many details other than they played a tape of Flo's appearances on Ed Sullivan.

The story goes that Janie Bradford compiled the names for the group and Flo picked Supremes. Later it was represented that Berry Gordy compiled the names, I guess because he had to approve it. Later Mary, Barbara and Diana showed up a bit late and they were now The Supremes. Truth be known they could have been called the Sunrays but the contracts were dry and they were now The Supremes.

I recall seeing a photo of Mary and Flo's daughter Lisa in JET magazine. I think it was taken from this event.
    Yeah I've seen a couple of photos from the event with Mary, Turkessa, one or both of the boys and Lisa. I wonder why Flo's twins weren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    The story goes that Janie Bradford compiled the names for the group and Flo picked Supremes. Later it was represented that Berry Gordy compiled the names, I guess because he had to approve it. Later Mary, Barbara and Diana showed up a bit late and they were now The Supremes. Truth be known they could have been called the Sunrays but the contracts were dry and they were now The Supremes.
    Okay Cap, that was a bit random...

However, I've never heard Berry had anything to do with the names, other than desiring the name change from Primettes. I've never heard that Diana, Mary and Barbara were late, only that Flo was the only one at Hitsville the day the contracts were being drawn up. I just figured she was the only one hanging around that day.

I think it's pretty much accepted that Janie Bradford provided Florence with a list of names to choose from that day. Mary wrote that they all had lists [[whether they wrote them down or simply had favorites in their heads, only Diana could answer today) and I can imagine four teenage girls having a difficult time agreeing on what to call their group. That might explain why on the day the contracts were being drawn up, the group still didn't have a name, forcing Janie to come up with a list, which she provided to Florence.

And we all know Flo chose "Supremes". It's one of the few things all the principal players seem to have agreed on, that Flo named the group. And thankfully she had great taste in a name. Who knows what they might have been had Diana, Mary or Barbara had her way.

Okay Cap, that was a bit random...

However, I've never heard Berry had anything to do with the names, other than desiring the name change from Primettes. I've never heard that Diana, Mary and Barbara were late, only that Flo was the only one at Hitsville the day the contracts were being drawn up. I just figured she was the only one hanging around that day.

I think it's pretty much accepted that Janie Bradford provided Florence with a list of names to choose from that day. Mary wrote that they all had lists [[whether they wrote them down or simply had favorites in their heads, only Diana could answer today) and I can imagine four teenage girls having a difficult time agreeing on what to call their group. That might explain why on the day the contracts were being drawn up, the group still didn't have a name, forcing Janie to come up with a list, which she provided to Florence.

And we all know Flo chose "Supremes". It's one of the few things all the principal players seem to have agreed on, that Flo named the group. And thankfully she had great taste in a name. Who knows what they might have been had Diana, Mary or Barbara had her way.
    Agree, i never heard that Berry was involved in the actual list of names offered. Diana has since tried to downplay the fact that Florence herself chose the name by saying she wasn’t sure if it were true.

Yeah I've seen a couple of photos from the event with Mary, Turkessa, one or both of the boys and Lisa. I wonder why Flo's twins weren't there.
    My guess is if this convention was in 1987, and the twins were born in 1972, the would have been 15 at the time. Still in high school?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    My guess is if this convention was in 1987, and the twins were born in 1972, the would have been 15 at the time. Still in high school?
    The twins were born in 1968. Maybe they just couldn't make it.

The twins were born in 1968. Maybe they just couldn't make it.
    Thanks. Maybe they were working.

Thanks. Maybe they were working.
    Or maybe just weren't interested. Although Flo's children have attended various events over the years, they seem to have kept a low profile.

Or maybe just weren't interested. Although Flo's children have attended various events over the years, they seem to have kept a low profile.
    I noticed that Lisa was the only one present at the Supremes' Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. I think she was the only one present at the Hollywood Walk of Fame induction as well. Maybe she was the only one who schedule allowed her to attend.

In 1990, when Mary was on our promo tour for SUPREME FAITH, she came to Boston for a book signing, which I attended. She was actually accompanied by Flo's daughter Michelle and her baby. It turned out that when Mary did an earlier talk show taping, Michelle had been flown in as a surprise guest.

why would anyone think the children of Florence Ballard would want to go anywhere within a thousand feet of anything Motown??
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-04-2023 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    why would anyone think the children of Florence Ballard would want to go anywhere within a thousand feet of anything Motown??
    i would guess that they share some pride with Flo's achievements. her successes and fame were something to be proud of. but at the same time, her fame and infamy create a more complex story. and given what i know about their personal lives [[which i'll admit isn't much), i guess that were a bit shy about the publicity and notoriety of their mother.

they were so young when Flo died, that they probably don't have much memory of their Mother and Motown. it's possible the family, post Flo's death, reinforced the ideas that Gordy/Motown helped bring about Flo's demise. but their own personal worlds just never really included motown or wealth. they were so young and the fame, riches, publicity was long gone by then. So they themselves never really were in that world but were in the world that the Ballard family was in. which was a lower income detroit family.

from what little i've gathered, the girls did maintain a relationship with both D and M.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

they were so young when Flo died, that they probably don't have much memory of their Mother
    yes they only got to know their mother at her lowest worst ...... I imagine from what they witnessed of her and then what they endured after her death, their sentiments were/are not that kind of Motown ....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-04-2023 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    yes they only got to know their mother at her lowest worst ...... I imagine from what they witnessed of her and then what they endured after her death, their sentiments were/are not that kind of Motown ....
    and odds are they were young enough that they didn't even notice Flo's problems. to them, she was just mommy.

Mary Wilson always spoke of Florence, even until the end when she was trying to get her on a US Postage Stamp. What happened to Florence caused her to be mistrustful and maybe for good reason because look what happened to her professionally. Her daughters stay out of the spotlight much like Mary's children do, only Diana's children have chosen the spotlight with the exception of Chudney and Ross. Flo's children have been at Mary's shows and I have heard them call Mary and Diana Auntie, so that love of each other is still there.
    As much as I love Florence's voice, I have always preferred Diana's and Mary's vocals so I agree with Ran about the Impossible Dream. Florence had a powerful voice, though, not necessarily perfected. It took time, many of Diana's early recordings were way too nasal and whiny sounding and it took Mary many years to overcome lack of confidence to strengthen her vocal abilities. I think Florence would have been able to become much stronger with more time and lead singing.