[REMOVE ADS]

Ain’t No Mountain, Alternate version.

Can anyone clarify the details of the alternate slower version of ‘Ain’t No Mountain High Enough’ by Marvin and Tammi. I had always believed that the alternate version was produced by Bristol and Fuqua and pitched against the Ashford and Simpson version with the latter being chosen for release.
    However, on the Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell Complete Duets CD, both versions are credited to Ashford and Simpson and a further solo version by Tammi [[same arrangement as the releases duet version) is produced by Bristol and Fuqua. Surely this is a mis-print!

Do you mean the alternate version of AIN'T NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING?

The notes for THE COMPLETE MOTOWN SINGLES , VOL. 8: 1968, say that Bristol and Fuqua produced the slower version but it was mistakenly credited to A&S in the notes for THE COMPLETE DUETS cd.
    Last edited by reese; 07-29-2023 at 01:03 PM.

According to DFTMC all originally released Marvin and Tammi versions were produced by Harvey Fuqua and Johnny Bristol. The album "United" also lists them as producers. Same for the Tammi Terrell solo track [[which would make sense as it's basically the same track). The song only appears twice on the "Complete Duets" with no alternate take.

Are you thinking of "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing"?

Valerie Simpson has acknowledged that their first production was Marvin and Tammi's Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing.

A&S were lured to Motown by BG as songwriters and worked their way up to producers. My only complaint with all this is that BG was so involved in movies in the early 70s that he did not nurture A&S during that period and they left for another label. Had he done so he would have had three big sellers: Valerie Simpson solo, Nick Ashford solo and Ashford and Simpson together. He splintered the Jacksons into successful solo artists [[except for Jackie) and the same could have happened for A&S.

Remember Me was to be Valerie Simpson's solo debut. Gordy insisted on giving it to Ross. Shoe Shoe Shine by the Dynamic Superiors is a gorgeous production and should have been Top Ten but Motown sat on it. Just think how Bourgie Bourgie or I'm Every Woman could have done for Motown artists. I can see Every Woman being No. 1 for Ross or Thelma Houston.

The Alternate version of Ain't No Mountain High Enough that was produced by Bristol and Fuqua can only be found on a Motown CD called The Love Songs of MOTOWN released in 2003.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by noel181; 07-29-2023 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Not necessary information

That looks to be an interesting CD. What's alternate about the alternate mix of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    That looks to be an interesting CD. What's alternate about the alternate mix of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"?
    I don't know if this applies to the cd mentioned in noel181's post. But there is a version of ANMHE on which Tammi and Marvin can be heard singing together on the last verse, the lines "If you ever need a helping hand, I'll be there on the double just as fast as I can."

I first heard this version on the soundtrack of the Julia Roberts film STEPMOM. I think it is also on the UK2fer cd of UNITED / YOU'RE ALL I NEED.

I have listened to the original and the version on Love Songs but can't hear the difference. It states Alternate Mix On CD. Also has The Temptations My Girl Extended Stereo Mix, Four Tops Baby I Need Your Loving Extended Stereo Mix, Martha & The Vandellas My Baby Loves Me Extended Stereo Mix. 12 Tracks Compilation Produced by Harry Weinger. Digitally Remastered by Ellen Fitton.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't know if this applies to the cd mentioned in noel181's post. But there is a version of ANMHE on which Tammi and Marvin can be heard singing together on the last verse, the lines "If you ever need a helping hand, I'll be there on the double just as fast as I can."

I first heard this version on the soundtrack of the Julia Roberts film STEPMOM. I think it is also on the UK2fer cd of UNITED / YOU'RE ALL I NEED.
    This wonderful video includes the double vocal in the last verse but also an overlay of Tammi oohing at 1:50.

https://youtu.be/IC5PL0XImjw

There are at least three different stereo mixes of ANMHE.

The [[probably) original mix has Tammi left of centre, Marvin right of centre, and the two drum tracks panned hard right.

The Motown Box mix additionally separates the two drum tracks, with the kick drum and rim shots panned left and the later overdubbed 'main' drum track dead centre.

The mix on The Complete Duets has both vocals centred and the drum tracks separated but in a different way to The Motown Box​.
    Last edited by Sotosound; 07-29-2023 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Do you mean the alternate version of AIN'T NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING?

The notes for THE COMPLETE MOTOWN SINGLES , VOL. 8: 1968, say that Bristol and Fuqua produced the slower version but it was mistakenly credited to A&S in the notes for THE COMPLETE DUETS cd.
    Yes, I did mean ‘Ain’t Nothing Like The Real Thing’, my mistake this time!

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Yes, I did mean ‘Ain’t Nothing Like The Real Thing’, my mistake this time!
    Almost a Diana and Marvin duet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    There are at least three different stereo mixes of ANMHE.

The [[probably) original mix has Tammi left of centre, Marvin right of centre, and the two drum tracks panned hard right.

The Motown Box mix additionally separates the two drum tracks, with the kick drum and rim shots panned left and the later overdubbed 'main' drum track dead centre.

The mix on The Complete Duets has both vocals centred and the drum tracks separated but in a different way to The Motown Box​.
    Amazing - how do you remember all this? I don't have such a keen ear for detail sadly.

I know it "Ain't no Mountain" however Tammi's solo collection "Come On And See Me" has a great version, but its not Marvin & I can't figure out who the male artist is with Tammi?

Any Joy?

Attachment 20953
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 07-30-2023 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Amazing - how do you remember all this? I don't have such a keen ear for detail sadly.
    I was listening to the mixes as I typed out my post.

It sounds like the Originals on Tammi's version