[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye: Movie Star

In the last week I've watched Marvin Gaye featuring in two dramatic roles and he's actually not half bad. I'm sure many of you know this already but he has a major role in "Chrome and Hot Leather" - a 1971 film which doesn't really live up to that suggestive title - and a more minor role in "The Ballad of Andy Crocker" from 1969 alongside Lee Majors.

He plays a soldier in both of them but while he's much more involved in the latter film which has lots of action sequences and an especially silly/funny scene where he's supposed to be learning how to ride a motor bike in about five minutes, I think he's better in the earlier one. He's only in it briefly at the start with a reprise towards the end, but as a Vietnam vet helping his friend Andy who's struggling to reintegrate he actually shows a bit of range. I think he could have done a bit more on film, given the chance. I'm surprised he didn't turn up in Trouble Man or any of the 70s films with Black leads and stories. Neither of these films is amazing but they're both better than The Wiz, in my humble opinion!

I obtained these via archive.org but both seem to be on YouTube for anyone interested. Note* TBOAC has the wrong aspect ratio on YT but it's also free on Tubi if you're in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKf1ufPAd90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLBCeeiq4Os

Many thanks for these links and the Tubi tip! I've never actually seen either one all the way through...these'll be some of my weekend lounging picks.

“He’s not half bad” perfectly sums up his acting ability.

Not half bad, a good way to say it. He showed promise though, had a very relaxed screen presence. I remember in an interview he said the one thing he didn't like about film making is all the standing around waiting for a shot. Gaye was never known for patience.

When Smokey Robinson made a small screen tv appearance, his acting was stiff and amateurish, on the other hand.