[REMOVE ADS]

Paul Riser-Arranger Extraordinaire & Song Writer?

I believe it's safe to say that Paul Riser was an outstanding force behind many of the instrumental arrangements for Motown especially for those strings on "My Girl" and for his backing arrangement of "Papa Was a Rolling Stone." For the latter, he was awarded a Grammy.

Later on, he also worked with R Kelly and arranged the Grammy award winning song, "I Believe I Can Fly." The partial discography lists some amazing work that he has done.

Through Wikipedia I am learning that he played, uncredited, trombone on some of the early Motown recordings. It says that he considered the Diana Ross track of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" to be his favorite arrangement.

Another interesting tidbit was that he was a co-writer for "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted." Are there other Motown songs out there that you know of that were written/co-written by him?

jobucats,
    I talked with Paul last year and brought two 45's [[Papa and Broken Hearted) for him to sign as I was certain he would be at the Motown event I was attending in Detroit. At any rate, I told him that "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" was one of my favorite songs and one that IMO epitomizes the "Motown Sound", it would certainly be in my top 10. We chatted for a bit, then Paul stepped away to go inside, when he abruptly turned around and leaned into me and said, "I want you to know I didn't write anything on Broken Hearted, I only wrote the music for it. I just wanted to be up front about that." Paul is certainly the kind of man that gives credit where credit is, or isn't due. He is so approachable and friendly, it was an honor to meet and talk with him.
    Darin

Name:  WBOTBH Auto.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  Paul Darin.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  92.5 KB

Stunning Picture! With Paul Riser well done.

[QUOTE=DWSheffer;770369]jobucats,
    I talked with Paul last year and brought two 45's [[Papa and Broken Hearted) for him to sign as I was certain he would be at the Motown event I was attending in Detroit. At any rate, I told him that "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" was one of my favorite songs and one that IMO epitomizes the "Motown Sound", it would certainly be in my top 10. We chatted for a bit, then Paul stepped away to go inside, when he abruptly turned around and leaned into me and said, "I want you to know I didn't write anything on Broken Hearted, I only wrote the music for it. I just wanted to be up front about that." Paul is certainly the kind of man that gives credit where credit is, or isn't due. He is so approachable and friendly, it was an honor to meet and talk with him.
    Darin

] Davin, Although I have only read short clips about Mr. Riser over the years, for some strange reason, I had always accessed that not only was he brilliant but he was what we from the NC country would call "good people." Thank you for sharing the photo and your experience of meeting this gifted and significant cornerstone of Motown. I am assuming that by saying he didn't write anything on Brokenhearted except the music that he meant he arranged the music. From what you were able to gather, is he still pretty active in arranging/composing/teaching? Also from reading the Wikipedia bio, he attended Cass Technical High School where Diana Ross attended. Being that they were born a year apart, it might be likely that they knew each other before Motown? I believe I read somewhere that Cass High School was supposedly a bar above the other high schools in the area.

Ralph went to Cass so he would know a bit about the musical heritage. Mike Terry, Ivy Jo Hunter Joe Messina and Ray Parker went to Cass Tech.
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 07-27-2023 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Ralph went to Cass so he would know a bit about the musical heritage. Mike Terry, Ivy Jo Hunter Joe Messina and Ray Parker went to Cass Tech.
    Thanks, MIKEW-UK!!!

I did go to Cass but was not involved in any music programs. I thought I was studying to be an aeronautical engineer.

Paul Riser is shown as a joint writer on "Tomorrow's Tears" by Jimmy Ruffin.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I did go to Cass but was not involved in any music programs. I thought I was studying to be an aeronautical engineer.
    Ralph, Were there any pre-requisites students needed in order to attend Cass? Am I correct that Lily Tomlinson attended there as well as James?, the host of Actors Studio?

jobucats, I guess a reasonable grade point average was necessary for admission to Cass Tech. Apparently I had that.
    I always understood that Lily Tomlin went to Redford High.

I'm aware that Paul has volunteered time for the Hitsville Next program that the Motown Museum puts on looking for and mentoring new talent. Other than that, I'm not aware of how busy Mr. Riser keeps himself these days.

He was quite prolific as he is credited with the following:
    "I have Someone [[Who Loves Me Too)" Marvelettes
    "Smile" Isley Bros.
    "Too Far Gone To Save Myself" Martha & the Vandellas.
    "Testifying For Love" Martha & the Vandellas.
    "Let Love Live [[A Little Bit Longer)" Velvelettes.
    "Ain`t No Lovin`" Stevie Wonder.
    "Anything You Want Me To Do" Stevie Wonder.
    "Don`t Know Why I Love You" Jackson 5.& Stevie Wonder.
    "I Gotta Have A Song" Stevie Wonder.
    "Mister Moon" Stevie Wonder.
    "Something To Say" Stevie Wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    He was quite prolific as he is credited with the following:
    "I have Someone [[Who Loves Me Too)" Marvelettes
    "Smile" Isley Bros.
    "Too Far Gone To Save Myself" Martha & the Vandellas.
    "Testifying For Love" Martha & the Vandellas.
    "Let Love Live [[A Little Bit Longer)" Velvelettes.
    "Ain`t No Lovin`" Stevie Wonder.
    "Anything You Want Me To Do" Stevie Wonder.
    "Don`t Know Why I Love You" Jackson 5.& Stevie Wonder.
    "I Gotta Have A Song" Stevie Wonder.
    "Mister Moon" Stevie Wonder.
    "Something To Say" Stevie Wonder.
    Roger, thank you for that list!

My pleasure jobucats.

Dale Warren, the great arranger / orchestrator and Donald Byrd also went to Cass Tech.

Here is a great interview with Paul Riser. He does mention entry requirements for Cass. What comes through is the tremendous[[unique) focus on and tuition of classical music disciplines.

https://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/...na-work-it-out

Paul Riser is also credited as arranger of David Ruffin's "Don't Stop Loving Me" and as co-writer of Earl Van Dyke's "6 By 6".

And co-writer of It Takes A Man To Teach A Woman by P.J. Patti Jerome on VIP.

See under Ollie McLaughlin post

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Dale Warren, the great arranger / orchestrator and Donald Byrd also went to Cass Tech.

Here is a great interview with Paul Riser. He does mention entry requirements for Cass. What comes through is the tremendous[[unique) focus on and tuition of classical music disciplines.

https://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/...na-work-it-out
    MikeW-UK THANK YOU SO MUCH for providing that link. I've just begun watching it, and I am seeing that he's always been a disciplined and focused musician. So far the most interesting comment that he made was his disdain, as a youngster, he had for r&b music. I plan to watch more of this later. Also, I found another interview.

jobucats, thanks for letting me know! So glad you are enjoying it. Mckinley Jackson is another absolute favourite of mine. His work at Motown and especially at Invictus is peerless. Most definitely he was a major part of Lamont Dozier's success and don't overlook the superb albums he did on ABC / Dunhill with Richard Popcorn Wylie, Clarence Carter, Freda Payne, Angelo Bond, and of course Lamont Dozier.

Not a lot of footage out here of Mckinley performing, but here he is playing the most incredible trombone solo on Finders Keepers with Chairmen of The Board and the cream of famous soul musicians. Just click on Youtube button to watch.