[REMOVE ADS]

Another Fake Obit.......El Debarge This Time

You guys might recall a few weeks ago when I posted something about having read about Angie Stone's alleged "death." I just didn't know at the time that it was a scam.

Anyway we worked through that, to the point that Angie herself came on board and spoke on her own behalf. Soon after that, I saw another one and this time it was a gospel singer whose name escapes me at the moment. I didn't bring that one up on here because I had learned what was going on.

So now here today [[20th) the new "victim" is El Debarge. As soon as I heard the same voice on the alleged "announcement" I recognized it and just turned it off.

As I mentioned back during Angie's story, I can't imagine what the goal is here. But I also have to wonder what can be done to stop it. Surely there is some way to trace it and force them legally to stop spreading such garbage. Right????

Am I correct that you are taking about the YT channel that posts 'sad news' about deaths that have never happened? If so I have tried in vain to get it closed down.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    You guys might recall a few weeks ago when I posted something about having read about Angie Stone's alleged "death." I just didn't know at the time that it was a scam.

Anyway we worked through that, to the point that Angie herself came on board and spoke on her own behalf. Soon after that, I saw another one and this time it was a gospel singer whose name escapes me at the moment. I didn't bring that one up on here because I had learned what was going on.

So now here today [[20th) the new "victim" is El Debarge. As soon as I heard the same voice on the alleged "announcement" I recognized it and just turned it off.

As I mentioned back during Angie's story, I can't imagine what the goal is here. But I also have to wonder what can be done to stop it. Surely there is some way to trace it and force them legally to stop spreading such garbage. Right????
    It's called karma. Sit back and, as the kids say, let it do what it do.

Every time I go on YouTube and do a search for my favorites, these death videos come up. The sad thing is many people don't know they aren't true.

My aunt called me a few weeks ago and asked did I have something to tell her. I had no idea what she was talking about. Then she said "Didn't you hear [insert name here] died? My girlfriend called and told me." I asked did her girlfriend get this news from YouTube and she said she did. She was very relieved when I told her it wasn't true.

I gather such videos are click bait but it seems like YouTube shouldn't allow them to be posted.
    Last edited by reese; 07-21-2023 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

I gather such videos are click bait but it seems like YouTube shouldn't allow them to be posted.
    These folk post these tantalizing title videos because they know they'll get enough clicks to make some money from the crowd similar to those who send their money to televangelists who are begging for funds to buy a private jet. It doesn't matter that the video's content is bogus or not because these YouTubers can always claim, as does a popular cable news outlet, that they are operating under the umbrella of entertainment.