[REMOVE ADS]

Marv Johnson question re early record store in Detroit

I was listening to a broadcast by Marv Johnson and he told the story about how he was working at the Prince and Adams Record Shop in Detroit where he first met Berry Gordy. This was prior to the 3-D Record Mart. I have never seen anything in print about this PARS nor have I seen any photos of it.

Does anyone have any knowledge about the establishment? Where was it located - who owned it - when did it start and shut down?

Thanks for any help on this.

From a website called "Detroit Yes"...

"An article about Motown in Detroit Scope magazine mentions a spot called Prince Adams Record Mart on 12th and Hazelwood".

You're awesome. Thanks a million. I am certain that the building no longer exists because of the riots. Interesting tidbit of history. Appreciate this information.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I was listening to a broadcast by Marv Johnson and he told the story about how he was working at the Prince and Adams Record Shop in Detroit where he first met Berry Gordy. This was prior to the 3-D Record Mart. I have never seen anything in print about this PARS nor have I seen any photos of it.

Does anyone have any knowledge about the establishment? Where was it located - who owned it - when did it start and shut down?

Thanks for any help on this.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes, the Prince Adams Record Mart was on 12th Street and Hazelwood, not so far from Correc-Tone's first studio. I was told that it was also the home of Prince-Adams Records [[which I think was owned by the shop's owner, R. Adams [[can't remember his first name, -Robert rings a bell). I was told he partnered with Sam Motley in that label, and Rudy Robinson was the A&R man, producer, songwriter, and who also put out a record on his own band). I've got their other record, a nice funky organ instrumental [[surely that's Rudy playing), also with a nice sax solo, "Red Pepper" [[which I think must be some type of iteration of Robinson and his band):

It was a regional hit in several places around The US. It sold enough in Detroit to get Jubilee/Josies' Jay-Gee Records to distribute it nationally.

That record was out in 1963, so, I guess the record shop was around from at least 1958 [[when Marv Johnson started working there) to at least 1963, or maybe 1964, or possibly till the riots in '67? And possibly it started before 1958.
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-28-2023 at 05:28 AM.

I don't have anything to input regarding this store but I do have a semi-related question/idea.

Yesterday I was roaming around in a town about an hour from my home and I stumbled upon one of the absolute best record shops I have ever seen. It was small-town USA for sure, and considering how brick and mortar stores have become obsolete over the last couple of decades I was astonished to find such a great store still functioning in such a small town.

So my question is this.......is there a forum on here or could we start one in which each of us would input the name and location of favorite stores that still exist, so as to create sort of a data base or travel guide that we could each consult when we know we are traveling to a certain area? I plan to spread the word as much as I can about this one, through my Facebook friends, but would such an idea of national or even international scope catch on here on SDF?

There are several large empty lots at Hazelwood and 12th, which is now called Rosa Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    There are several large empty lots at Hazelwood and 12th, which is now called Rosa Parks.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  21.1 KB
    I'm sure that the building in which Prince Adams was located was gutted during the 1967 riot. I know that that lot has been empty for a lot of years.