[REMOVE ADS]

Phyllis Hyman Biography Is Back In Stock!!!

I'm finally getting around to reading my copy of "Strength Of A Woman: The Phyllis Hyman Story" by Jason A. Michael which I bought 3 years ago and paid a small, out-of-print fortune for. I just checked Amazon and was pleasantly surprised to see that it's back in print and back in stock for a reasonable $19.95 for the paperback version.

Strength Of A Woman: The Phyllis Hyman Story
    https://a.co/d/2cG8XUX

The book is very well written -- clearly by a true Phyllis Hyman fan. In fact, once you start reading, it's hard to put the book down.

My only complaint is that the book's print is small, and it's a faded gray rather than a bold, easy-to-read black print. [[Then, again, everything I pick up to read these days is like that. Maybe it's just me?)
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-15-2023 at 05:33 PM.

Glad you're finding it to be an engaging read, Philles. I also felt the same when I read it some years ago. I had sold my original copy some years back, thinking I wouldn't read it again, as I had found it to be quite sad, despite it being so insightful and well-researched. However, when I had seen it was back in print on Amazon back in February 2021, I ended up buying another copy. I figured it would be good to give some extra support to this heartfelt book. I had noticed that my new copy was printed on-demand by Amazon Canada, which was noted on one of the last pages of the book, so the font size and format was different than my original copy. This may be what you are noticing, Philles? It seems that Amazon tends to print a lot of books on-demand these days, especially the smaller publications. My Freda Payne autobiography was also printed on-demand by Amazon.

The print-on-demand is the new kid on the block. I have several, but here is one example of one that I have. I have The A&R Man by William Mickey Stevenson. This was ordered through Amazon and according to the back of the book it was made in the USA, Middletown, Delaware, June 2015. It was ordered though Amazon as I said and it was shipped to me from the Amazon warehouse or distribution center in Middletown, DE. The print is smaller than I would like it to be and it is not a dark shade. It's not the kind of book you read from beginning to end or your eyes would be dead. Another drawback on the POD is that there are never any color pictures in the actual book itself. Many have no pictures whatsoever. But this is the new thing on the horizon, especially for books that won't sell a million copies as some do when they are printed.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Glad you're finding it to be an engaging read, Philles. I also felt the same when I read it some years ago. I had sold my original copy some years back, thinking I wouldn't read it again, as I had found it to be quite sad, despite it being so insightful and well-researched. However, when I had seen it was back in print on Amazon back in February 2021, I ended up buying another copy. I figured it would be good to give some extra support to this heartfelt book. I had noticed that my new copy was printed on-demand by Amazon Canada, which was noted on one of the last pages of the book, so the font size and format was different than my original copy. This may be what you are noticing, Philles? It seems that Amazon tends to print a lot of books on-demand these days, especially the smaller publications. My Freda Payne autobiography was also printed on-demand by Amazon.
    Carlo, my copy is dated 2007 [[Second Edition). I don't see any mention of it being printed on demand. All I know is the amount I paid for it was highway robbery -- before it was recently reissued at a reasonable price.

Phyllis' story is such a sad one. What an unfortunate waste of talent! As we speak, I'm on page 173 out of 239. I keep wishing it would end so that I could get past the inevitable sad ending.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    The print-on-demand is the new kid on the block. I have several, but here is one example of one that I have. I have The A&R Man by William Mickey Stevenson. This was ordered through Amazon and according to the back of the book it was made in the USA, Middletown, Delaware, June 2015. It was ordered though Amazon as I said and it was shipped to me from the Amazon warehouse or distribution center in Middletown, DE. The print is smaller than I would like it to be and it is not a dark shade. It's not the kind of book you read from beginning to end or your eyes would be dead. Another drawback on the POD is that there are never any color pictures in the actual book itself. Many have no pictures whatsoever. But this is the new thing on the horizon, especially for books that won't sell a million copies as some do when they are printed.
    Yeah, Woodward, it's taking me a while to get through this book because of the small, hard-to-read, light-gray print. And, yes, the photos in my book are all black-and-white [[although they're high-quality).

You're right -- print-on-demand is the way of today. A few years ago, I decided to order an Expanded copy of Diana's first solo album CD from Amazon. I didn't realize it was copied on demand until it arrived. Something had gone wrong in the burning mode. "Reach Out And Touch", which should have been Track 1, was somehow placed at the end [[Track 12), causing "Now That There's You" [[which should have been Track 2) to become Track 1 -- causing the resulting tracklist to be off by one. Not a positive introduction to Copy On Demand, although I've gotta admit I've had no problems since then.