[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross 76 LP Differences

Diana's "Hangover" album isn't a particular fav of mine, although it contains some great stuff. The expanded edition contains an alternate version disk. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention, but what's different about most of these from the original album? I also haven't played the alternates much, so admittedly this could be a case of me answering my own question if I wasn't being lazy and listened to the originals and the alternates back to back. But I'm going for lazy.

Because I'm such a huge fan of "I Thought It Took A Little Time", I'm aware of the various differences in the versions of that song. [[My fav version is the one from To Love Again.)

a lot of the differences are different vocal takes. some have slightly longer edits and fades. while none of the differences are groundbreaking, they are more noticeable than, say, the differences between the Stereo and Mono WDOLG album.

overall i like DR 76 and appreciate the variety of songs and styles. the varieties work better here than on Last Time. But i can see how some find it too disjointed.

i've done some MAJOR "producer role playing" and totally redid her mid70s albums. I did go ahead with the To The Baby project and then added a few new tracks to TMITM to make up for the baby songs being pulled.

then for LTISH i ditched the Gaudio tracks and made it mostly Masser and Miller [[and again, no baby songs). because of To The Baby and my preference for not overlapping albums, i would hold on the release of LTISH until AFTER the duets album with Marvin. by that time, Sorry Doesn't and Together would have been recorded so you could add them here. makes for a more cohesive album to focus the producers and stick with that light-hearted country vibe

then for DR76 songs like Smile have already been used. and you have the more rock-oriented numbers from Gaudio. those i think fit pretty well with the disco and hard-edged songs here. so a revised album could be:

Theme from Mahogany
    I thought it took a little time
    Stone liberty
    Love Hangover

When will i come home to you
    One love in my lifetime
    Ain't nothing but a maybe
    after you
    You're good my child

or if you pull Mahogany and After You out for a full Mahogany soundtrack, you could easily use Harmony, To Love Again [[although that might have fit on Mahogany or the revised LTISH), I heard a love song.

I like the DR '76 LP....my fav solo LPS are #1..Baby It's Me, then [[gasp!) Ross '78, the Debut, and then DR '76...everything else has enjoyable moments... at least a few [[2-3) favs on each of the remaining Motown first wave LPS....same with the RCA LPS...I like a few tracks on each one...I think SWEPT AWAY [[the LP version) may just be my fav DR solo track...then Remember Me, Lovin' Livin' & Givin' [[ROSS LP version only...the other mixes do nothing for me) , To Love Again...and I Loves You Porgy...hon. mention....Don't Explain...

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I like the DR '76 LP....my fav solo LPS are #1..Baby It's Me, then [[gasp!) Ross '78, the Debut, and then DR '76...everything else has enjoyable moments... at least a few [[2-3) favs on each of the remaining Motown first wave LPS....same with the RCA LPS...I like a few tracks on each one...I think SWEPT AWAY [[the LP version) may just be my fav DR solo track...then Remember Me, Lovin' Livin' & Givin' [[ROSS LP version only...the other mixes do nothing for me) , To Love Again...and I Loves You Porgy...hon. mention....Don't Explain...
    interesting that Ross 78 is so high! lol what about it, as an entire album, puts it at this spot on your list?

I just love the LP.....LL&G' is one of my fav disco songs, I love the other 2 disco cuts as well, and the ballards [[Never Say, Sorry) are great....To Love Again is just simply a beautiful song/ great lyric / vocal / wonderful continental style instrumental arrangement...only song I don't like is Together....
    Not liking only 1 song? that means it's a great Lp for me...its not odd for me to intensely dislike 1 song on a LP...
    there are probably 15 LP's I can say I love every song on....Floy Joy and High Energy are 2...Suzi Quatro's '74 glam LP QUATRO, Connie Francis sings Les Reed, Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here, Donna Summer Love Trilogy and Four Seasons of Love, Rosanne Cash-Kings Record Shop...I would have to dig thru my classic rock LPS for the others...
    the long list of LPS I love very much but hate only 1 song on are top headed by Supremes- Touch, and the classics Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, Bruce's Born To Run, Heart's '85 S/T....

I would be interested in hearing which track from each of those albums you don’t like, gman.

Love Diana Ross 76, my first Diana solo album, filled with great trax.
    Since Blue was canned.unacceptable ,imo. I welcomed her lovely vocal of Smile.
    The only song I didn't love ,kiss me now.
    To me ,this would have fit on Last Time I Saw him lp better than this.
    I would have perhaps replaced it with To Love Again.

Last time I saw him needed a complete overhaul. I would have used sorry doesn't always make it right also on Last Time.
    But I feel DR 76 is a classic Ross album.i think I would have called it Love Hangover.