[REMOVE ADS]

Women of Motown [[Geraldo - 1990)

A youtube video of a 1990 Geraldo show popped up in the feed while viewing other videos. The show's guests included Martha Reeves, Gladys Horton, Kim Weston, Mable John, Miss Raye, Janie Bradford, Sylvia Moy, and Syreeta with Maxine Powell also chiming in. Geraldo was never a favorite due to his quest for sensationalism many times bordering on distastefulness. The panel artfully dodged his traps designed to bring up salacious topics. It was nice to hear facts from the mouths of those who were there in the company's beginning and heyday. My apologies to anyone who may have previously posted this.

I had seen this before so I watched just the first few minutes this time to refresh my memory. Happy to see Martha get the star treatment by being allowed to make a grand entrance.

But help me remember something.......wasn't there another similar show one time in which that very dignified lady [[name escapes me at the moment) was included and she talked about how she helped the ladies learn social graces, manners, etc.? Whoever I am thinking of, she definitely was not on this panel.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I had seen this before so I watched just the first few minutes this time to refresh my memory. Happy to see Martha get the star treatment by being allowed to make a grand entrance.

But help me remember something.......wasn't there another similar show one time in which that very dignified lady [[name escapes me at the moment) was included and she talked about how she helped the ladies learn social graces, manners, etc.? Whoever I am thinking of, she definitely was not on this panel.
    You're speaking of Maxine Powell and she appears on this episode. She wasn't on the panel but Geraldo interviewed her from the audience.

Very interesting to watch. Would have preferred they edited some of Mable's religious sermon out of there and had more from some of the other ladies.

Thanks Reese........that is kind of coming back to me now.

I saw this...I enjoyed it....some VIP early ladies of the throne there.

On the Geraldo show, Miss Raye [Raynoma] was one of the main guests, and the conversation related to her book "The Untold Story Berry ,Me, & Motown" that was issued in 1990. Ray pulled no punches!
    Berry had the first edition pulled, a 2nd version was issued but slightly different.

Well worth a listen to Ray as there are not many tapes of her voice.
    Her original bio well worth a read.

Raynoma Mayberry Liles Gordy Singleton sadly passed away 11 November 2016.
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 07-17-2023 at 02:55 AM.