[REMOVE ADS]

Phyllis Hyman Birthday Reminder

Thanks to a featured article today on Soul Tracks, we were reminded that July 6th would have been Phyllis' 74th birthday. Hard to believe that she has been gone now for 28 years.

Considering that some of her contemporaries [[Diana, Dionne, Patti, Gladys to name a few) are still out there fighting the good fight, it reminds you of just how much more she could have given us if she had not been overcome by her demons.

Definitely one of the music world's saddest stories........

Yes, still sad to think about the years she/we lost, but she gave us the best she could, while she was here with us. Always remembered, with love...

Tragic that such a distinctively talented and beautiful woman would be relegated to "cult artist" status. Every time I hear her voice I am reminded of how it was so unique and extraordinary. There has been no singer since that even sounds like her.

Phyllis had everything going for her -- looks, voice, a small but loyal group of fans who adored her. Sometimes in life, that just isn't enough. As Phyllis sang in one of her last-ever recordings, she "refused to be lonely". Sadly, that was that. Happy Birthday, Phyllis. We miss you more than you know.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Thanks to a featured article today on Soul Tracks, we were reminded that July 6th would have been Phyllis' 74th birthday. Hard to believe that she has been gone now for 28 years.

Considering that some of her contemporaries [[Diana, Dionne, Patti, Gladys to name a few) are still out there fighting the good fight, it reminds you of just how much more she could have given us if she had not been overcome by her demons.

Definitely one of the music world's saddest stories........
    Yes Indeed Dave; Phyllis Hyman's story is one of the saddest stories in Music [and a reminder of how Mental Illness can destroy even the most gifted individuals]. Happy Birthday in Paradise to Phyllis Hyman.

My Top 10 most played PH songs in 2023 so far:

1 No One Can Love You More
    2 Why Not Me
    3 When I Give My Love This Time
    4 Living All Alone
    5 Inside Your Love [[Boogie Boots Re-Edit)
    6 Somewhere In My Lifetime
    7 Hurry Up This Way Again
    8 The Answer Is You
    9 We Should Be Lovers [[Boogie Boots Re-Edit)
    10 I'm Truly Yours

I always preferred her torch songs such as What Ever Happened to Our Love, Give Me One Good Reason to Stay, Just Another Face in the Crowd, and of course I Refuse to be Lonely. But she could also be happy when she wanted to, such as You Sure Look Good to Me, Don't Wanna Change the World, and You Know How to Love Me. I will never understand why she failed to achieve mainstream success.

A few years back, I created a Phyllis Hyman "Very Best Of" CD compilation. Here's what I came up with:

1) Old Friend
    2) Loving You, Losing You
    3) I Don't Want To Lose You
    4) Let Somebody Love You
    5) I Refuse To Be Lonely
    6) Living In Confusion
    7) Whatever Happened To Our Love
    8) Tonight You And Me
    9) Somewhere In My Lifetime
    10) Can't We Fall In Love Again [[w/Michael Henderson)
    11) Falling Star
    12) Under Your Spell
    13) I Found Love
    14) Give Me One Good Reason To Stay
    15) The Kids
    16) Souvenirs

[[I can't believe I left out "You Know How To Love Me". It must have been due to a timing constraint.)

Too much Phyllis is never a bad thing!!!

Right on, David! Just imagine how richer our CD collections would be had Phyllis continued recording throughout all of these years!