[REMOVE ADS]

Where are our heroes from the past that provided great music compilations for us?

I was giving some thought yesterday to some of our heroes from the past who were largely responsible and involved in the release of many previously unreleased Motown songs during their stints at Motown Records.

Some of these are as follows:

Amy Herot

Candace Bond

Dana Smart

John Matusek

Thane Tierney

Did miss anyone? I am not including current Universal personnel.

Does anyone ever hear from any of these or know what they are involved in today? We owe all of them a huge debt of gratitude for all the efforts that they put into getting our great Motown sounds released as they surely did.

Thanks.

George Solomon contributed a lot. I'm not sure if he is currently with Universal.

I believe that he is as he sporadically contributes something to the Motown Forum.

Add this name to the list; Harry Weinger. I've read somewhere on this forum that he's no longer with Universal/Motown but during the 1990's thru the 2000's, he guided many of the finest reissues from Motown's Catalog.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 07-04-2023 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Add this name to the list; Harry Weinger. I've read somewhere on this forum that he's no longer with Universal/Motown but during the 1990's thru the 2000's, he guided many of the finest reissues from Motown's Catalog.
    He has a LinkedIn page that states he's still with Universal.
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/harry-weinger-7273b11/

George Solomon is regularly on the Supremes forum; I’m sure he knows he’s appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    He has a LinkedIn page that states he's still with Universal.
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/harry-weinger-7273b11/
    Didn't know that; Thanks Lockhartgary!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Didn't know that; Thanks Lockhartgary!
    You are welcome.

I need to clarify my original initial posting on this topic. I was not interested in the current lineup. i. e. Harry, George, and Andy --- as far as I know all are still involved with Universal but I was gearing my posting to the three I just mentioned. The output of those mentioned in my original posting was monumental and we need to be thankful for their efforts and see what they are involved in today. Sorry it shifted into the current lineup. Hope this is helpful, sorry for the poor job I did initially.

I don't know where all these people went. I worked with a couple of them in the 1990s to get compilations out there. Some were discharged and rightfully so.

When Harry and Andy took over the catalog, things got done correctly and with love. I hope, now that we are coming out of the fog of covid, that they can resume.

But we have to understand that there is diminishing interest in this old music. We have been replaced as record buyers. Oldies music now is the 1990s. Until we get a movie or some type of showcase to renew interest, I doubt much will happen.

I hear ya, Bayou, but Motown is timeless. Harry and company have brought us so far in the Motown album reissues via CDs and downloads, I hate to see them stop now when all we're really lacking is four albums by The Originals, and three or four of Jr. Walker's last few albums.

Once the above reissues have been satisfied, I wouldn't mind a few more previously-unreleased volumes, but at this point, I really prefer completing The Originals' albums, if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I was giving some thought yesterday to some of our heroes from the past who were largely responsible and involved in the release of many previously unreleased Motown songs during their stints at Motown Records.

Some of these are as follows:

Amy Herot

Candace Bond

Dana Smart

John Matusek

Thane Tierney

Did miss anyone? I am not including current Universal personnel.

Does anyone ever hear from any of these or know what they are involved in today? We owe all of them a huge debt of gratitude for all the efforts that they put into getting our great Motown sounds released as they surely did.

Thanks.
    There was also Cary Mansfield - Looking Back-Mary Wells; Deliver-Marvelettes; Live Wire-Martha & the Vandellas.

I remember the release of those 3 sets fondly! They came out at approximately the same time in 1993 as part of Motown's new "Master Series". The sound quality was super! And it was thrilling to finally get a CD collection of each group's hits -- complete with the A & B sides intact.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-09-2023 at 07:58 PM.

I would add Willie Hutch and his excellent Motown albums. Very few are available. Yet Willie's sound is still quite contemporary and he is much sampled. I have never understood why so little has been re-released, given his influence and reputation.

[QUOTE=theboyfromxtown;768650]There was also Cary Mansfield - Looking Back-Mary Wells; Deliver-Marvelettes; Live Wire-Martha & the Vandellas.

I worked with Cary on all those issues. I was the only one who had the Vels There He Is [[At My Door). Cary was a great guy, hated that they let him go. Was no reason for it. He also put out the excellent Martha Reeves MCA lp.

Philles, I would hope these lps would at least come available as downloads. You have to understand the Jr Walker and Originals lps you mentioned, though excellent, sold nothing when they were first released so you have to understand total sales would probably amount to hundreds rather than thousands. Some of this stuff did better overseas. Like you, I'd love to see these and more Willie Hutch lps get out there

I believe that Cary Mansfield still works for Varese Sabande Records.