[REMOVE ADS]

Miserable weather does not prevent Another home run tonight at Wolf Trap

The big news tonight is not diana ross’s performance. It is the miserable, thick, wall of wet heat we had to sit through at Wolf trap. I am born and raised dead center in the Midwest, and I know what humidity is. Never in my 800 years have I experienced humidity this wretched. The show started half an hour late, and I was sure it was because of the weather, and that she might not be up for it. as it turns out, the bus with the band got stuck in horrendous traffic.

She was phenomenal tonight, especially considering the circumstances. She was mopping her brows she was fanning herself, she only did an hour and 45 minutes. There was no string section tonight. and yes, she sang along to a tape for more today than yesterday, the Bos, thank you and why do fools. Love child again was live and wonderful.

The highlights tonight were many, but it was worth it during the traffic jam, and sitting in that godforsaken steam bath for 2 1/2 hours just to witness the artistry of God bless the child. I would not be exaggerating when I said, I have probably heard that live 100 times. Tonight was a completely different experience. She knew she killed it. She finish that song and was trying to hold back showing that she knew she killed it. However, eventually she could acknowledge it because she got the longest ovation. I can recall it went on and on and on and on, and she looked very humbled. It was quite a moment. He lives in you were stupendous and come see about me really rocked. She even breathed life into that tepid, sing a song arrangement for chain reaction. I wasn’t expecting a show as big as radio city, but I was disappointed that so many of those songs were not in.
    It’s hard to say that she’s never been better, because I guess she has. However, she’s making magic out there the lights of which I don’t think I’ve ever seen. Whatever she’s smoking, I want some!

I have been to a dozen or more shows at Wolf Trap and unless things have improved, the traffic can indeed be a mess. Can't recall any of my shows being especially hot or humid although they would have all been in warmer weather. Considering the current conditions in this part of the world, you are lucky you were able to SEE her because of all the smoke we are getting from those Canadian fires. Some stays the haze has been incredible.

Wow. Amazing that she was able to put on a show in what you so vividly described as a steam room. Diana is a stickler for starting her performances on time, and she arrives ahead of time just in case there are any unanticipated problems. Too bad the band wasn't able to do the same. Your description of her performance of God Bless The Child created a word picture for me.

Bless the audience and Diana for making a magic moment happen under those conditions

Glad you had a good time in spite of the weather conditions

Thanks for the detailed review. Hopefully the God Bless the Child performance will pop up on youtube.

Maybe the heat and humidity was good for her vocal cords. Aren’t some singers notorious for not wanting venues being too cold with air conditioning?

I'm so happy to hear that Diana gave another memorable performance. Sorry to hear about the climate and traffic ...

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Maybe the heat and humidity was good for her vocal cords. Aren’t some singers notorious for not wanting venues being too cold with air conditioning?
    If I'm not mistaken, Wolf Trap is an outdoor venue.

“God Bless The Child’ from the “LSTB” soundtrack is my ultimate Diana Ross vocal performance, so am now chomping at the bit to here this.
    For me it was one of the few highlights from her concert in Central Park, and has always been a song that she appears to pour her heart into.
    Sure hope someone recorded it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    “God Bless The Child’ from the “LSTB” soundtrack is my ultimate Diana Ross vocal performance, so am now chomping at the bit to here this.
    For me it was one of the few highlights from her concert in Central Park, and has always been a song that she appears to pour her heart into.
    Sure hope someone recorded it.
    here ya go
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-03-2023 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    here ya go
    Boog, you are a treasure. What a terrific concert it was.
    Allowing for lip- synching in places, “Upside Down” to name but one, it’s as if the clock has been turned back twenty years. Not only does her. voice sound more vibrant, she also looks younger. Loving the more relaxed pace of it all.
    It Would be interesting to know just which of her vocals are live as opposed to pre-recorded.
    Loving her wonderful rendition of “God Bless The Child” which Is def live, while “Don’t Explain” sounds better then ever.
    Ta for posting.

The "main stage" at Wolf Trap is indeed an outdoor venue. There are seats for maybe 2,000-3,000 [[My estimate) that are under a shaded canopy but then I think several thousand more can camp out on grass beyond that. [[Keep in mind I have not been in 15 years or more so things could have changed.) There is also a smaller indoor venue called The Barns at Wolf Trap, which I imagine seats less than 1,000.

The first time I saw her lip-synch, I was horrified and disheartened. I couldn’t believe it. A couple weeks later, we caught a few more shows, and I was speaking to a couple members of the band. They told me diana was having terrible trouble with her voice. It began just a few days before the tour. Her doctor ordered her to use her voice as little as possible, which explains why she didn’t speak throughout the entire show. They didn’t admit to me that she had done any lip-synching, but they did say that she was doing everything possible to save her voice, and that she barely said anything even at Soundcheck all the sudden my bubble was burst because I realized she was human after all. Now I’m so grateful to see her. I don’t care what she does. She’s so wonderful right now, I wouldn’t change a thing!
    And thank you for the kind words, I think you it was the worst night I’ve ever experienced in weather before, certainly the most miserable and moist night I could ever remember. And if we were miserable, watching a show, I can only imagine what it was like for her.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 07-03-2023 at 09:40 PM.