[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves talks about Her Beginnings at Motown As A Secretary

Roberta's First Lady of Motown, Miss Martha Reeves, was asked in this interview, if it was true that she started at Motown as a secretary. Martha gave an eight minute answer to the question, and it was interesting. Martha is also raising money for her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The interviewer had to interrupt Martha's answer so that she could get the the Hollywood Walk of Fame plug in for Martha, which was the primary purpose of the interview

Thank you dear Milven. The most eloquent lady to ever grace the Hitsville Studio. Theres nobody more loyal and loving and proud to talk about Motown Records. I hope she made lots of money at the Autograph fair for the star the TRUE First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves truly deserves.

Thank you again.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Roberta,

Yes indeed....the most eloquent lady ever to grace the Hitsville Studio.

And..... with by far the most recall in detail of what actually went on there.

Before it is too late, someone really should record Martha on a spoken word anthology of all her memories - maybe with a working title something like "Come And Get Martha Reeves' Memories Of Motown".....

Martha could then add to them, as and when the memories come to her mind.

Given time, one memory can cause others to be released from our minds....and very often ones we had long forgotten....

And I am fairly certain Martha has very many memories of Motown's heyday which she has not already shared....

Hey, westgrandboulevard, I really like that title, "Come And Get Martha Reeves' Memories of Motown".

Well, thank you Motony.....

Or, maybe it could be something like....

"Come And Get These Memories -

Martha Reeves: The First Leading Lady,
    remembers Motown's heyday"

[well, that might keep Claudette happy......]

Not to fully retire from the stage until she herself wishes, but there may come a time when Martha, while always quite willing, does begin to find extended tours, or even putting on a full show, increasingly more difficult at times to undertake.

Sharing her thoughts in speech with an audience has always seemed to come as naturally to Martha, as singing. She has given countless interviews, but they are scattered across the internet.

Perhaps a book to accompany, with many photos to trace her career, with and without The Vandellas, and which could be signed on certain occasions - perhaps personal appearances, with Q&A sessions. Maybe accompanied by Lois and/or Delphine, or even any other ladies of The Vandellas, if Martha so wished.

Martha is good with communications, and it is well-documented [and once again in this clip] that she was a Motown secretary in the early days who, it just so happened, could also sing well....so recounting her show business history could be seen as a natural progression in her career, and to be approaching full circle...

Just an idea....but who knows, the result might prove very interesting to a large number of people, if someone would arrange it...
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 07-04-2023 at 10:58 AM.

oh well, yet another Motown untruth ....

[yes Martha is sharp as a tack and quite engaging ... and the interviewer was smart to just let her go and tell the story ......although maybe she was waiting for Martha to come up for air ....lol]
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-04-2023 at 02:39 PM.

It's great to to hear it from Martha, but it is even so much more from her Book "Dancing In the Street" which gives you a detailed history on how it all happened, how she grew up and came to Motown as secretary, and so much more just shy of 300 pages.

Get yourself her book , it's incredible! and gives you everything. [Ignore Amazon only one copy at £99]
    However there are at least 14 copies on Ebay both in the UK and the US. Some at £4 a copy. Grab One !!!!!!!!

Martha's bio issued in 1994 [29 years ago], whilst she will recall things these days, her original book will provide the full details.

Attachment 20908
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 07-05-2023 at 08:06 AM.

If you can't get the book, check out "Mickey Stevenson's" bio and especially the "Martha Reeves" pages.

Attachment 20909
    Attachment 20910

In an interview [[maybe Discoveries or Goldmine), Martha said that she was going to be writing another book. It sounded as if she wasn't totally pleased with the first one.

It's interesting and no doubt she may choose to write another book. However the original writer was "Mark Bego & Martha Reeves" in 1994 the completed book was issued. The Title of her book: "Dancing In The Street Confessions Of A Motown Diva"

Here is the Intro from Martha. She was completely open regarding the original book with nothing to hide.
    Attachment 20911
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 07-05-2023 at 08:25 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    It's great to to hear it from Martha, but it is even so much more from her Book "Dancing In the Street" which gives you a detailed history on how it all happened, how she grew up and came to Motown as secretary, and so much more just shy of 300 pages.

Get yourself her book , it's incredible! and gives you everything. [Ignore Amazon only one copy at £99]
    However there are at least 14 copies on Ebay both in the UK and the US. Some at £4 a copy. Grab One !!!!!!!!

Martha's bio issued in 1994 [29 years ago], whilst she will recall things these days, her original book will provide the full details.

Attachment 20908
    Yes, indeed.....

If anyone reading this thread is likely to be in Martha's company in the near future, and does not yet have her book, do make sure you get yourself a copy, and take it with you, for her to sign.

You are then very likely to receive a special response from Martha in conversation.

While she is always happy to sign CDs, vinyl records and memorabilia, the fact that you have her book resonates even more...no doubt because the book is understandably predominantly about Martha, and her life, more than Motown in general, and the other artists there at the time. A very personal account...so you will confirm yourself to Martha as someone who is in receipt of very personal feelings she has shared.

Martha is a warm, caring lady who clearly does wish to feel herself up close and personal with people, and always hopes for a positive response from them. We know that feelings of disappointment have sometimes hit her hard in her life.....so there is always a sense of wishing her well. And that there is far more to her as a human being, even more than her records which have become so familiar to us over decades.

For anyone who has yet to meet Martha in person, there is a real sense of a special human being, who has lived a rich and full life, standing right there, before you. Go along, if you can....

I know Martha is a caring warm lady, I met her twice in the UK. She was proud of her book. Have you even read her book? Have you even read "Mickey Stevensons" book and the wonderful content that Mickey gave to Martha.

She is one of my favourite Motown artists and an incredible person, she shared her life that was difficult throughout the 9T's and the 2000's which has made her the incredible woman she is now.

There will or maybe parts of her book that she may want to change, and there is nothing wrong with her wanting to do that, even that Martha has not even mentioned that she wasn't happy with her bio.

With it being twenty nine years since the book was published globally no doubt things may change.

Throughout the last 29 years It makes me wonder just how many years you had any interest in Martha ? I'm proud of her of what she has achieved over the many years and what she is doing now.

It is obvious that you know nothing about Martha, and her life over the last twenty nine years.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    I know Martha is a caring warm lady, I met her twice in the UK. She was proud of her book. Have you even read her book? Have you even read "Mickey Stevensons" book and the wonderful content that Mickey gave to Martha.

She is one of my favourite Motown artists and an incredible person, she shared her life that was difficult throughout the 9T's and the 2000's which has made her the incredible woman she is now.

There will or maybe parts of her book that she may want to change, and there is nothing wrong with her wanting to do that, even that Martha has not even mentioned that she wasn't happy with her bio.

With it being twenty nine years since the book was published globally no doubt things may change.

Throughout the last 29 years It makes me wonder just how many years you had any interest in Martha ? I'm proud of her of what she has achieved over the many years and what she is doing now.

It is obvious that you know nothing about Martha, and her life over the last twenty nine years.
    That is a puzzling response, as my post was made to add complete agreement with your earlier one.

So absolutely no criticism or dissension intended.

Yes, of course, I do have Martha's book. I have met her several times, following shows, we are not personal friends, and she signed my copy on one occasion.

I remember doing my homework to her records in the early 60s......first record I ever bought was 'Heat Wave''...almost exactly sixty years ago......and, just like many others, have followed her career ever since.

Thank you for that, what you sent was exactly the opposite, there is no secret In Martha's book, you even referenced the need of a book.

That is why that its likely anyone that has never been aware of Martha's bio could then obtain her book, there is nothing wrong with that. I'm just one of many over the course of the last 30 years that met with Martha, but she will never even remember me and or many others.

I would also welcome anything that Martha may decide going forward be it a new book or anything else. Either way we all will never forget Martha.

Thank You.
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 07-05-2023 at 01:03 PM.

July 18th:

A very Happy Birthday to Martha Rose Reeves...