[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Triumphs Once Again At NYC's Radio City

Another Radio City performance and another sold-out, triumphal show by Diana Ross. New intro film, new musicians [the violinist, right?), new gowns, new [and shifting) set list... and The Voice is still superb. And I love that Diana seems so happy.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 06-30-2023 at 02:23 PM.

About how much of the show did she lipsynch or rely on a pre recorded vocal track to enhance her live vocal?

Where so happy to have her around

Yes triumphant is the word. A lengthy performance-no family members this time- just filled with song after song - a powerful night. And we saw her leave with Gayle King right after Dustin Hoffman.

Totally agree!!! I have seen Miss Ross perform since the 60's but last night was one for the books. All you nay-sayers out there should get away from your keyboards and go and see her. I have seen her at her best and yes at her worst but last night . . .

I saw video of Tyler Perry and Gayle King sitting together. Dustin Hoffman must be a friend of Diana’s or really loves her- maybe both. He has been seen at her shows since at least the early 80’s

Do we know who had Diana autograph his 'TY' lp? Was that one of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    About how much of the show did she lipsynch or rely on a pre recorded vocal track to enhance her live vocal?

I would think, since you are sometimes mentioning that she should change her, Setlist, that you would have at least one positive thing to say about that, or the additional musicians. However, your inquiry which might, for some, purposefully, or not, dull the gloss of a superb evening, will get a disappointing answer. I don’t care how much she does, either, because her performance still pales anyone else. I’m not going to answer the question. I’m going to let you look at the videos so that you can see for yourself and not take someone’s word that you might feel would be diana ross positive. She blew it out of the park, and it wasn’t even in the park!
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 06-30-2023 at 03:06 PM.

I was certainly not expecting what we got: without question, the best show I have ever seen at radio city, and I’ve seen at least a dozen. And it was certainly the longest.

A full horn section, strings, electric violin for he lives in you. Four background singers.

it was the same Setlist with a few changes:

OUT

MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY
    My world is empty without you
    Baby love
    Stop in the name of love
    It’s my house

IN
    Come see about me
    Reflections
    He lives in you
    Touch me in the morning
    Endless live
    God bless the Child
    If the world just dance
    I still believe
    Tomorrow
    Thank you
    I’m still waiting
    Mirror mirror
    Chain reaction

Depending on who you ask, she was on stage from a minimum of two hours and 17 minutes - 2 hours and 29 minutes. These times do not include the video.

And no, spreadinglove, she did not do turn me over.

The city of New York also presented her with a Diana Ross Boulevard street sign

This show seems to have been fantastic!!! Fully loaded stage.

Now this is what live sounds like!!
    [either that or someone suggested that her prerecordings shouldn't sound so sterile and perfect.] No I 'll say she's beautifully live and sounds invested !!

Don't know the lyrics at 1:42" gone is the bloom .....walk with a dream ....the end of tomorrow"??

"we need a spotlight on Michael on guitar: ---good for her to care
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-30-2023 at 03:22 PM.

Seems like a perfectly rational question to me SL. From the response it received i would imagine quite a lot lol. Not that it matters of course.

My nephew just sent me this real nice review. https://www.nj.com/entertainment/202...-believes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Seems like a perfectly rational question to me SL. From the response it received i would imagine quite a lot lol. Not that it matters of course.
    let me be more clear. It is certainly a perfectly rational question. She relies on both at times. My point was that was his only response to a show that had many improvements that SL calls for. And I recommend it to look at the videos to see just how little, amazingly, those activities occurred. And I do mean amazingly, since she sang before double her usual shows. And her voice was getting tired, but she just worked through it. I loved the fact that she acknowledged her voice, which sometimes struggle on a high note, and she just work with it. Accepted it and went on. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more appreciative audience.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    let me be more clear. It is certainly a perfectly rational question. She relies on both at times. My point was that was his only response to a show that had many improvements that SL calls for. And I recommend it to look at the videos to see just how little, amazingly, those activities occurred. And I do mean amazingly, since she sang before double her usual shows. And her voice was getting tired, but she just worked through it. I loved the fact that she acknowledged her voice, which sometimes struggle on a high note, and she just work with it. Accepted it and went on. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more appreciative audience.
    I did complement the set list and changes made. In this thread: Look at this set list [[soulfuldetroit.com)

As The Temptations once sang: "Take a Look Around".

I did complement the set list and changes made. In this thread: Look at this set list [[soulfuldetroit.com)

As The Temptations once sang: "Take a Look Around".
    and so you have! I apologize, I didn’t even notice that thread.

Great performance.https://youtu.be/K4ST-R-q-FE Seems like the new and exciting set is in preparation for The European Tour.

Another thrilling review of Diana Ross' great concert in NYC! https://www.nj.com/entertainment/202...-believes.html

From one review we know she did somme suden changes in her setlist... I always love when she when she does what she want to do.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/AMGJvpDgkfk

so glad she remains loyal to this song .....her best ........imo

Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-01-2023 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/AMGJvpDgkfk

so glad she remains loyal to this song .....her best ........imo

I always thought it sounded better when performed live at a slightly faster pace. The same for “Mirror Mirror”.
    ”Chain Reaction” on the other hand is just a little to breezy imo.

This is great. She’s really still got it. Could someone with a technical ear help? On TMITM, is the keyboardist/pianist of key in the first few measures, around measure 5 or so? Or is it distortion from the hall?

Edit: third watch - he’s def not in key with DR. Either a half step up or down, but I can’t tell.
    Last edited by thanxal; 07-01-2023 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Additional material

Another Stellar Review

Great review of the Diana Ross Concert at Radio City Music Hall in NYC!
    https://www.popdust.com/its-her-hous...662084282.html

What is this “Diana Ross Blvd” all about?

Happy she is still with us at 79. We have lost so many artists from the Motown family. Certainly sad that Mary Wilson and Flo Ballard are no longer with us and that Cindy is ill. Celebrate Miss Ross along with Scherrie Payne & Susaye Greene still out there performing. Enjoy them while they are still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Happy she is still with us at 79. We have lost so many artists from the Motown family. Certainly sad that Mary Wilson and Flo Ballard are no longer with us and that Cindy is ill. Celebrate Miss Ross along with Scherrie Payne & Susaye Greene still out there performing. Enjoy them while they are still with us.
    I'm happy I saw her at the Hollywood Bowl last August [a birthday present!] because I really don't know how many more chances we have. Her performance and the audience response and enthusiasm far exceeded my expectations.

Looks like a huge success for an older lady; well done

Not bad at all for an old lady nearing 80 years of age. This should have been Glastonbury.
    I hope she’s in this kind of form when she performs at the Royal Albert Hall UK later in the year. Fingers crossed.