[REMOVE ADS]

favorite Cindy story or memory

the sad posts about Cindy's current situation made me think we should also focus on her wonderful achievements, the joy she provided fans, her loving and warm personality and role within the Sups

so share some favorite things about Miss Birdsong!

were you fortunate enough to see the Sups back in the day and spoke with her backstage? or in concert maybe she winked at you! or is there a fav recorded moment?

i just adore her lead lines on Bridge Over Troubled Water. the way she whisper/sings "when darkness comes, ooh yeah"

Mary said in Sup Faith that she felt New Ways truly captured the 3 of them as three talented, unique singers is so perfectly displayed on Bridge. the 3-part harmonies as lush and gorgeous. All 3 are equally represented on leads on the verses and each woman shines in her own way. jean of course is fantastic. mary is her typical glorious smoky alto. and cindy [[who rarely was spotlighted) has this lovely sensual warmth.

Two of my favorite Cindy contributions to the Supremes:

On Life Beats, her voice stands out on the chorus to the song. It's one of my favorite vaulted recordings.

I like the humor she brings to many of those He's My Man TV performances, especially the bit where Scherrie goes for the big note on the first rendition of the chorus and Cindy has a look of "get a load of her" and then walks sassily away.

Ron Ely and The Supremes on a Jan. 12, 1968 episode of “Tarzan”

I hope they each thought back on this adventure with a smile

One of my favorite Cindy moments is "He's My Sunny Boy". Her voice is integral to the sunny vibe of the song, IMO.

Name:  10378931_10204090955255046_1163087319447277850_n.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  39.7 KB

This photo is another fav moment. How easy it would have been for either woman to shun the other. Flo because of bitterness at her replacement, and Cindy, because she was always in Florence's shadow. I think Cindy being Cindy is why a photo like this exists. She very well might be the nicest Supreme. Of course the other Supremes would have to vote on that.

I think Cindy wins "nicest Supreme", hands down. I can't really think of unsavory story, although I don't think Cindy had the best business sense. Makes me really wish she had written that biography. I remember in the late 90's, she had her own website and the book was "coming soon".

The only story I have to share is that years ago, I was in touch with Cindy's son David. We're about the same age, so it was easy to find a connection. I was always cautious when talking to him, as I didn't want to seem to fan-girl over his Mom. At one point, I suggested that Cindy get on social media; that she had legions of fans loving her and wondering what she's up to. I want to say this was maybe around Motown 45, when Cindy was still, well, Cindy.

David replied that he had been encouraging her to get more "active", but that she wasn't very computer savvy and didn't really have a lot of interest in the internet. She still loved meeting her fans face to face, and enjoyed telling stories about all her travels, with all of the wonderful friends she'd met over the years. Like Mary, and Scherrie, she loved being a Supreme, and loved the connection it brought her.

David and I fell out of touch after a while, but I'm certainly thinking of him and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I think Cindy wins "nicest Supreme", hands down. I can't really think of unsavory story, although I don't think Cindy had the best business sense. Makes me really wish she had written that biography. I remember in the late 90's, she had her own website and the book was "coming soon".

The only story I have to share is that years ago, I was in touch with Cindy's son David. We're about the same age, so it was easy to find a connection. I was always cautious when talking to him, as I didn't want to seem to fan-girl over his Mom. At one point, I suggested that Cindy get on social media; that she had legions of fans loving her and wondering what she's up to. I want to say this was maybe around Motown 45, when Cindy was still, well, Cindy.

David replied that he had been encouraging her to get more "active", but that she wasn't very computer savvy and didn't really have a lot of interest in the internet. She still loved meeting her fans face to face, and enjoyed telling stories about all her travels, with all of the wonderful friends she'd met over the years. Like Mary, and Scherrie, she loved being a Supreme, and loved the connection it brought her.

David and I fell out of touch after a while, but I'm certainly thinking of him and his family.
    Love your story on Cindy's David. I've seen Cindy twice. Once at a mall in Los Angeles she was hosting an event and then when the 70's ladies did an autograph signing at the Arclight. I felt the most photos never captured Cindy's pure beauty that lady was Gorgeous!!!! and I must say Cindy was always my favorite Supreme. Loved the others but Cindy was my favorite. I really enjoyed her verse on "You Got What It Takes" and her adlib on Love Train Live in Japan. Wishing Cindy and her family all the best

I loved when Cindy stepped forward more after Jean joined.

She once told Randy Taraborrelli that when she joined the group in 1967, she inherited much of Flo's comic lines in the act. She said she tried doing them the way Flo did and the audience was cold. Eventually she found her own presentation and started getting laughs.

When Jean joined she was given more humor. At one point after the second or third number she welcomed the audience. When Jean and Mary interrupted her a couple times, she turned forward and flatly said, "Now you know this is a new setup, they're even letting me talk now." The audience howled. Later when she and Mary pretended to get in a squabble she responded, "uh uh Mary, you ain't gettin' rid of me too." More howling laughter.