[REMOVE ADS]

Motown "Year By Year" series

I always discounted these CD's as I have nearly all the tracks elsewhere on studio albums and compilations but came across an alternative version on Youtube of The Temptations' "I Wish It Would Rain" from the 1968 CD.

Does anyone know what other "alternative versions" exist in this series?

I checked the tracklist on Discogs but it did not indicate that this was an alternative version.

Quote Originally Posted by Stax_of_Motown View Post
    I always discounted these CD's as I have nearly all the tracks elsewhere on studio albums and compilations but came across an alternative version on Youtube of The Temptations' "I Wish It Would Rain" from the 1968 CD.

I checked the tracklist on Discogs but it did not indicate that this was an alternative version.
    One of the CDs [[I think it's 1968) features a version of the Monitors' 'Step By Step' that includes an extra verse I hadn't heard before. I don't think the CDs will note that a mix is an alternate one. Would have been nice if the set had at least covered the entire decade, but I think I remember the releases were sporadic and kinda spotty.

Quote Originally Posted by Stax_of_Motown View Post

There was a thread on this topic earlier this year that should answer your questions.
    Motown Year By Year CDs [soulfuldetroit.com]

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    There was a thread on this topic earlier this year that should answer your questions.
    Motown Year By Year CDs [soulfuldetroit.com]
    Thanks for that, I did do a quick search beforehand but, as it only brought up totally unrelated posts on the first page, I assumed that the topic hadn't been discussed [[just re-checked the search and it appears on page 2).
    Might dip my toe in the water and try to get 1968 as a starter.
    Regards, Steve.

This is the thread that Motown Eddie was referring to : -

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ar-By-Year-CDs

Cheers

Paul

Paul: Thanks for locating this. In this thread I went on record about the sampler that I provided the information on. I dug out again my Yesterday-Today-Forever Issue #20 which included details on the series. The sampler was shown as I described it with a different series number 37463-1345-2. Unfortunately, the listing in YTF did not indicate that it was a promotional item only not available to the public. It appeared as a normal release with the 6 pictures on it. I apologize for not exploring further. The pictures on the front show 1964-1968-1973-1976-1980-1985. One song was included from each year but they were all previously released issues. No unreleased were included.
    Last edited by woodward; 07-01-2023 at 11:33 AM.