[REMOVE ADS]

Kylie joins with Cher, Lulu and Diana Ross to secure UK Top 10 singles across five co

https://www.music-news.com/news/UK/1...cutive-decades
    Is this true five consecutive decade's

They're always counting her Supremes singles. Diana really just had top tens as a solo artist in four:
    1970s
    1980s
    1990s
    2000s

I don't know why the UK does that by the way [[Tina Turner is treated similar, i.e., the Ike & Tina stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    They're always counting her Supremes singles. Diana really just had top tens as a solo artist in four:
    1970s
    1980s
    1990s
    2000s

I don't know why the UK does that by the way [[Tina Turner is treated similar, i.e., the Ike & Tina stuff).
    The US does it too. I suspect it's only natural. She was one third of the Supremes and she was the lead voice on the songs so I think it should be counted. Had Mary left the Supremes and had major hits in the late 70s and throughout the 80s, 90s and into the 2000s, I would tack on her Supremes hits to her tally as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The US does it too. I suspect it's only natural. She was one third of the Supremes and she was the lead voice on the songs so I think it should be counted. Had Mary left the Supremes and had major hits in the late 70s and throughout the 80s, 90s and into the 2000s, I would tack on her Supremes hits to her tally as well.
    They all need to stop then lol

I notice in Diana's Billboard chart history, when you go to the Billboard 200, they count the albums where her name is in front of the Supremes' but not on the Billboard Hot 100. I don't know if the DRATS albums are retroactively added to her total or not. The same cannot be said for her singles. Just wanted to point that out lol

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think the 1960s should be counted, too. Although the article text itself states female solo artists, the article's title is about securing UK Top Ten singles per decade. Diana
    Ross, as the lead singer of all the Supremes [and Diana Ross & the Supremes] hits, certainly secured that decade.

In the same way, I would think Sir Paul McCartney might have secured 5 decades of UK Top Ten hits [although he wasn't lead singer on all the Beatles hits].

I think Tina Turner's Ike & Tina Turner hits should be counted, too, especially since River Deep Mountain High, such a major hit in the UK, was basically all Tina.

When someone leaves a successful group to go on to have a solo career the clock starts again. Prime examples are Robbie Williams, Gary Barlow, Paul McCartney, Dusty Springfield, Harry Styles, Cher, Smokey Robinson and many others.

Isn’t Diana Ross on the 60’s Supremes hits just as seminal and critical as she is in any duet with Lionel, Marvin, Rod, Ray etc?

Billboards method of tallying #1’s doesn’t really make sense to a listener.

The background on Aretha Franklin’s I Say A Little Prayer is as prominent as the background on any Supremes single.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Isn’t Diana Ross on the 60’s Supremes hits just as seminal and critical as she is in any duet with Lionel, Marvin, Rod, Ray etc?

The background on Aretha Franklin’s I Say A Little Prayer is as prominent as the background on any Supremes single.
    I very much agree, although Aretha wasn’t part of a group.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 11-03-2023 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I very much agree, although Aretha wasn’t part of a group.
    Yeah, the analogy doesn't make sense. Aretha's records were Aretha Franklin with background singers. The Supremes' records were a group of singers called Supremes. I don't think the average listener is confused by that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I think the 1960s should be counted, too. Although the article text itself states female solo artists, the article's title is about securing UK Top Ten singles per decade. Diana
    Ross, as the lead singer of all the Supremes [and Diana Ross & the Supremes] hits, certainly secured that decade.

In the same way, I would think Sir Paul McCartney might have secured 5 decades of UK Top Ten hits [although he wasn't lead singer on all the Beatles hits].

I think Tina Turner's Ike & Tina Turner hits should be counted, too, especially since River Deep Mountain High, such a major hit in the UK, was basically all Tina.
    Well in the UK they do the same to Tina. I don't know if they do it for Paul and I don't think they do it to Beyonce. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Why would it not make sense? Aretha was a solo artist from the jump. Diana's name didn't appear in front of the Supremes until 1967 and even with that, Billboard don't count em cause the Supremes were a group that Diana sang lead on. I mean if you want Diana counted for the Supremes, then Paul and John should be counted for the Beatles, MJ with the Jackson 5, and Beyonce with Destiny's Child.

And that's just not happening. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    When someone leaves a successful group to go on to have a solo career the clock starts again. Prime examples are Robbie Williams, Gary Barlow, Paul McCartney, Dusty Springfield, Harry Styles, Cher, Smokey Robinson and many others.
    Exactly this.