[REMOVE ADS]

The TAMLA label is back

The relaunch of the Tamla label has been announced by Capitol Records

https://allhiphop.com/news/capitol-r...ith-new-focus/

And Adam White blogs about it.

https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrand...T16%3A47%3A22Z

Wow. This is great news. Now let's hope they get all the branding correct. Universal has been sloppy with branding on some of its resurrected labels, particularly Decca.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Wow. This is great news. Now let's hope they get all the branding correct. Universal has been sloppy with branding on some of its resurrected labels, particularly Decca.
    Did you read about the acts they plan on having on the new TALMA?

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Did you read about the acts they plan on having on the new TALMA?
    From Adam White blog above, it may be gospel inspired music. No new Tamla artists have been identified, but the Tamla relaunch will be through Capital's Christian Music Group. So that may be a hint as to the kind of music they will release.

The blog was interesting and I scrolled down and found some interesting comments to the blog and rebirth of Tamla.

I had forgotten that Capital is now part of Universal.

When I was a kid, there were five major record companies and probably hundreds of independents. The five major record labels were Columbia, RCA Victor, Decca, Capitol and Mercury. The major independent labels were bought and distributed by these major labels and the the major labels started merging with each other.

Columbia and RCA are now Sony Music and Decca, Capital and Mercury are now Universal.

I guess the last step is for Sony Music and Universal to merge and then we will have one giant record company

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    From Adam White blog above, it may be gospel inspired music. No new Tamla artists have been identified, but the Tamla relaunch will be through Capital's Christian Music Group. So that may be a hint as to the kind of music they will release.

The blog was interesting and I scrolled down and found some interesting comments to the blog and rebirth of Tamla.

I had forgotten that Capital is now part of Universal.

When I was a kid, there were five major record companies and probably hundreds of independents. The five major record labels were Columbia, RCA Victor, Decca, Capitol and Mercury. The major independent labels were bought and distributed by these major labels and the the major labels started merging with each other.

Columbia and RCA are now Sony Music and Decca, Capital and Mercury are now Universal.

I guess the last step is for Sony Music and Universal to merge and then we will have one giant record company
    Yeah I had read that blog the day it came out and I think I'm just too old to get excited. In my mind, I'll always want "TAMLA" to stand for that 60's era Motown. Because the music will have no connection to that, it's kind of like there's not much significance in a relaunch. I don't think people will go around asking "have you heard the new TAMLA record?" Nobody really even says that about Motown anymore.

And I'm not speaking for everyone. That's just me thinking in print.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Yeah I had read that blog the day it came out and I think I'm just too old to get excited. In my mind, I'll always want "TAMLA" to stand for that 60's era Motown. Because the music will have no connection to that, it's kind of like there's not much significance in a relaunch. I don't think people will go around asking "have you heard the new TAMLA record?" Nobody really even says that about Motown anymore.

And I'm not speaking for everyone. That's just me thinking in print.
    I'm with you, WaitingWatching. Tamla is/was a Motown label. It should remain under the mighty Motown umbrella where it belongs. Reassigning it to any other record company cheapens it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I'm with you, WaitingWatching. Tamla is/was a Motown label. It should remain under the mighty Motown umbrella where it belongs. Reassigning it to any other record company cheapens it.
    You nailed it: "cheapens it." It's like these companies that buy up trademarks of defunct retailers and put out junk under those brand names hoping to trade on the good reputation of those old brands. Yuck.

My understanding is that they intend to feature singers and singing groups that were influenced by Gospel but will be aimed directly at the pop market.