[REMOVE ADS]

Non-Motown - Motown? The Toys....

From my archives....please subscibe to my you tube pages as new uploads are going up weekly from my vaults...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrS_bjOo4YQ

Not Motown for me but still damned good. When DRATS covered the song I don't think they did it justice. The original phrasing and lead singer's distinctive voice make it The Toys or nothing. Great to see them in later years and Barbara still sounded fabulous.
    Toys 1 Motown 0.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Not Motown for me but still damned good. When DRATS covered the song I don't think they did it justice. The original phrasing and lead singer's distinctive voice make it The Toys or nothing. Great to see them in later years and Barbara still sounded fabulous.
    Toys 1 Motown 0.
    Yep, the Supremes version is cute just as "The Composer" was cute. This production might have benefited more with Diana singing in a slightly higher key to give it a tad more urgency. The Toys' version, with all the girls singing the words in harmony at the end, was a nice closing to the song; the Supremes' version provided the same Ooo's on every verse.

I've mentioned this before about my Supremes fans and I, back in the 60s, always thought Diana was singing the line, "See Berry on the hill" instead of the original "see there beyond the hill."

How cool was that! Which other girl was the orignal Toy?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    How cool was that! Which other girl was the orignal Toy?
    I believe her name is Barbara Parritt and she is wearing the sleeveless gown. If I'm not mistaken, in recent years she has also performed as part of the duo Johnnie and Joe.

The Toys were a better group then the material they were given & the name they were given.

Yup, Reece is right on "Johnnie" from Johnnie and Joe - we had them together for this special reunion.

I never completely understood the words until I heard the Diana's annunciation - it was like "a-ha" that's what Barbara was singing. Attack is pretty cool by them as well.

Barbara is a really great lady - sometime I'll post the tracks we used to make these, pretty cool, as she was on the soundtrack version.

The toys were a great group, and with some push they could've given the mighty supremes a run for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    From my archives....please subscibe to my you tube pages as new uploads are going up weekly from my vaults...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrS_bjOo4YQ
    The Toys' "A Lover's Concerto" is an All Time Classic! And as 'Non-Motown - Motown', the song was not only an inspiration for The Supremes' "I Hear A Symphony", the group released their cover of "Lover's Concerto" on the I Hear A Symphony LP. Thanks tjl for sharing the clip of The Toys performing the song live.

Last edited by lakeside; 06-25-2023 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Thanks Lakeside for posting the link to Barbara Harris' site. It's great to see that Ms. Harris of The Toys is doing well and is still recording new music.