[REMOVE ADS]

Martha and the Vandellas reference on "Abbott Elementary"

I am currently watching the latest season of the comedy series, "Abbott Elementary". The janitor of the school asked one of the teachers, "Remember Martha and the Vandellas? I dumped Martha...and I'm pretty sure the Vandellas van-dalized my car!"

Cheesy joke but I was glad to hear them being mentioned.

Yes, it was nice to hear them mentioned in that episode. I think the only other time I've heard them referenced on TV was an episode of "The Golden Girls" when Blanche said her car was the noisiest thing to come out of Detroit since Martha and the Vandellas.

When Aretha appeared on Murphy Brown in 1991, Candice Bergen sat next to her and attempted to sing along to "Natural Woman".

After the first chorus, Aretha said to her "Listen, let's get one thing straight. I'm not Martha. And you ain't no Vandella. That's right. I'm a solo act."

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    When Aretha appeared on Murphy Brown in 1991, Candice Bergen sat next to her and attempted to sing along to "Natural Woman".

After the first chorus, Aretha said to her "Listen, let's get one thing straight. I'm not Martha. And you ain't no Vandella. That's right. I'm a solo act."
    That's an awesome episode. I forgot about the Martha and the Vandellas reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    Yes, it was nice to hear them mentioned in that episode. I think the only other time I've heard them referenced on TV was an episode of "The Golden Girls" when Blanche said her car was the noisiest thing to come out of Detroit since Martha and the Vandellas.
    There was another time on "Golden Girls" where MRATV were mentioned. The episode was titled, "Mixed Blessings". Dorothy's son announced he was engaged to an older black woman.

Sophia walks in and sees 3 Black older women:

Sophia: What's all the racket? Oh, Martha and the Vandellas are back.
    Dorothy: Ma!
    Greta: It's all right, Dorothy. I've got one at home just like her.
    Dorothy: You have one at home, too?
    Sophia: One at home? What am I, a cocker spaniel? Why don't you just give me an old sock to chew on?

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    There was another time on "Golden Girls" where MRATV were mentioned. The episode was titled, "Mixed Blessings". Dorothy's son announced he was engaged to an older black woman.

Sophia: One at home? What am I, a cocker spaniel? Why don't you just give me an old sock to chew on?
    I forgot that one too! I forget if it's that episode or the one where they hire a Black housekeeper and Sophia asks if The Supremes got back together.
    Last edited by Thornton; 06-23-2023 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post

Yes! Featuring the incredible Rosalind Cash as the prospective daughter-in-law with Virginia Capers of Lady Sings the Blues​ fame as her disapproving mother.