[REMOVE ADS]

Peronality: The lloyd price musical

There is a Lloyd Price Musical currently playing in Chicago. I'd like to see this. Maybe with good reviews, it will make its way to Broadway or Off-Broadway.

You might not know his name, but you know his music: “Personality”, “Lawdy Miss Clawdy”, “Stagger Lee”. From humble beginnings in Louisiana, Lloyd Price overcame incredible obstacles on his way to a revolutionary career. He was the first teenager to sell over a million records. His songs shattered the racial divide in music. His tunes were recorded by Elvis, Aretha, Little Richard, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Amy Winehouse and more. Lloyd Price was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 — this musical celebrates his life and legacy.

“Sheldon Epps’ production goes big; an ensemble large enough to fill the stage, huge talent, and lots of high energy dance numbers from Edgar Godineaux. Personality is a fantastic new musical that will keep Lloyd’s life and music on our minds for decades to come

https://www.fineartsbuilding.com/events/personality/

https://www.personalitymusical.com/

Here is a short clip from the new musical. The interviewer tells the actor playing Lloyd that she never heard of Lloyd Price and asks if he had heard of him before taking on this part. Tssshh

No lip-syncing in this Lloyd Price live performance on Ed Sullivan

Nice! I've always loved Lloyd Price's work so it's great to see that there's a musical based on his life. Thanks for the news Milven.

OK, that's Motown, Tina, the Tempts, the Supremes [[Dream Girls), Carol King & Lloyd Price sorted.
    We now need shows on Otis Redding, Nina Simone & Jackie Wilson ... Attachment 20825

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    OK, that's Motown, Tina, the Tempts, the Supremes [[Dream Girls), Carol King & Lloyd Price sorted.
    We now need shows on Otis Redding, Nina Simone & Jackie Wilson ... Attachment 20825
    A Nina Simone musical played off-Broadway last year, LITTLE GIRL BLUE.

There was a Jackie Wilson musical that I saw twenty years ago at the Apollo in NYC. It was a touring show that also originated in Chicago. Melba Moore played Jackie's mother. I wish they did more plays like this that eventually wind up on Broadway.

Sam Cooke needs one too. His life story is fascinating. And what about Marvin? Actually, there was musical about Marvin, but it couldn't use any of his music, so the musical featured other people's music of the era. They should have just made it a play without music. I think there is another Marvin musical in the works and it would be nice if that one gets finalized and released. Also saw a Dinah Washington musical off Broadway which was outstanding. Love musicals like these

https://jecaryous.com/theater/marvin-gaye-the-musical/

I went to see the musical about Doris Troy's life [[Mama I Want To Sing) twice in London. I was her guest, so got backstage & everything. I was sat amongst the celebs who were also guests of the show. One night shortly after my visit, Stevie Wonder was one of the celebs at the show.

When I was a little kid, I had Lloyd Price's "Personality" on an ABC Paramount 45 which I liked, and especially "Stagger Lee" which I loved!!!