[REMOVE ADS]

The Ed Sullivan Show: A look back after 75 years

Otis Williams of the Temptations is interviewed briefly about appearing on the show.

Thanks for sharing this interesting interview and show. It was noted that the Temptations appeared on the show for a total of 6 times. There was a shot of the Supremes but only one. The narrative mentioned that Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, and Michael Jackson also made appearances on the show. Does anyone know how many times Marvin, Stevie, and Michael appeared? Does anyone know of others who were not mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Thanks for sharing this interesting interview and show. It was noted that the Temptations appeared on the show for a total of 6 times. There was a shot of the Supremes but only one. The narrative mentioned that Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, and Michael Jackson also made appearances on the show. Does anyone know how many times Marvin, Stevie, and Michael appeared? Does anyone know of others who were not mentioned?
    Stevie Wonder was the first Motown act to appear on the show in May of 1964, and appeared again in 1968.

Marvin Gaye appeared once.

The Jackson 5 appeared twice.

Gladys Knight and the Pips appeared four times, including the final live episode.

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles appeared twice.

Martha and the Vandellas appeared once.

The Four Tops appeared four times.

The Supremes appeared 15 times.
    Last edited by reese; 06-19-2023 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

Otis Williams of the Temptations is interviewed briefly about appearing on the show.

Reese, we watched it, too, and enjoyed it very much. Thanks for the amazing compillation!!!
    Last edited by 9A; 06-19-2023 at 04:35 PM.

Stevie Wonder was the first Motown act to appear on the show in May of 1964, and appeared again in 1968.

Gladys Knight and the Pips appeared four times, including the final live episode.

Great information Reese. Thank you. Do you have any knowledge of any videos of Martha & the Vandellas on the show? I'd love to see that if it is available.

if you get ME-TV, they show old Ed Sullivans on Sunday night at 10PM & I have seen Martha & the Vandellas on it wearing yellow gowns doing Dancing In The Street.Very toned down performance IMHO. Their initial outfits were not approved by the Ed Sullivan people from what I remember Martha telling me.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Great information Reese. Thank you. Do you have any knowledge of any videos of Martha & the Vandellas on the show? I'd love to see that if it is available.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    if you get ME-TV, they show old Ed Sullivans on Sunday night at 10PM & I have seen Martha & the Vandellas on it wearing yellow gowns doing Dancing In The Street.Very toned down performance IMHO. Their initial outfits were not approved by the Ed Sullivan people from what I remember Martha telling me.
    I remember seeing a rehearsal photo of the group wearing a different outfit for the show. It was full-length but not as elegant as the yellow dresses.

Amazon still has DVD's available of:

The Best Of The Supremes On The Ed Sullivan Show.
    https://a.co/d/3piYERJ

The Best Of The Temptations On The Ed Sullivan Show.
    https://a.co/d/8HQ8hbF

And eBay has:

The Best Of Motown [[Various Artists) Gold On The Ed Sullivan Show.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motown-Gold...-127632-2357-0

All 3 DVD's are fun and excellent!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 06-19-2023 at 10:38 PM.

Funny that Stevie only appeared twice, with such a long gap in between.

The Detroit Free Press says that that Supremes performed 17 times on the show. DFP only mentions "Come See About Me" through "Someday" so I don't know if that includes the "new" Supremes and "Ladder".