[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hey, Boogie, I've been wanting to run something past you. 1,682 forum members viewed "Van's Artists [[A-M)", but only 655 forum members viewed "Van's Artists [[N-Z)". How could that be? Are people allergic to the second half of the alphabet?

There's one artist in particular in the second half [[N-Z) who I was hoping people would pick up on and comment on, and that artist Is Sharon Ridley. Her album is titled "Stay Awhile With Me" and it's beautiful. Did you check it out already? If not, would you please? I'm anxious to hear what you think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Gee, I had no idea that Van's "African Symphony" had such a far-reaching effect, Boogie. Concert bands, marching bands, drum & bugle corps.... I don't know when the above videos were recorded, but I'm guessing they were long since his untimely death. I really wish Van had lived long enough to enjoy the multiple fruits of his labor. I also never realized until lately how much I love his "African Symphony" and also his "Night Walk":

https://youtu.be/sSz9UkDstwE

What a phenomenal talent he was!
    Hey Gary, I just stumbled upon another one.... this one from Rinder and Lewis ....I trust you know of them??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Hey Gary, I just stumbled upon another one.... this one from Rinder and Lewis ....I trust you know of them??

Hi Boogie! I know that Rinder & Lewis produced Saint Tropez [[above), but not really familiar with their other productions. I do have a Best Of CD by Saint Tropez [[subtitled "Fill My Life With Love"), although "African Symphony" isn't on it. The above version is okay, but I still think Van's original version remains the best of them all.

I think your observation is correct Gary . A pretty pedestrian cover. Disappointing.

So one night Rinder and Lewis go to Studio One in Hollywood cause they'd heard that it was causing a raucous and they see all these gays boys packed in there going nuts over this music called disco and they say, "we can do this sh*t" and right away they go about putting out some of the best and also some of the most gawd awful productions on some little hole in the wall Los Angeles label that Liberace was on. ....

#1 [I think]Disco: added: I checked : #6

As I understand it there came a day when the two had a serious falling out and from then on couldn't stand each other and wouldn't talk even if bumping into each other at the Pavilion supermarket.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-16-2023 at 01:16 PM.

I hate to disappoint you, Boogie, but I was never a fan of their music. I have "Cocomotion" in my CD collection, but only because it's part of a Various Artists collection. There isn't much to it. It's about as soulful.as a door-knob!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I hate to disappoint you, Boogie, but I was never a fan of their music. I have "Cocomotion" in my CD collection, but only because it's part of a Various Artists collection. There isn't much to it. It's about as soulful.as a door-knob!
    That's OK. It either resonates for you or it doesn't. So it doesn't disappoint me, I don't expect everyone to like everything.
    Yes, lots of disco was soulful, but plenty wasn't.

More Rinder and Lewis to consider :

my favorite:

Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-21-2023 at 01:21 AM.