[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Of course. Why not?? The classics before Diana [[Ella, Peggy, Sarah, Lena ...) all recorded for years when there voices were not in near-as-good condition as Diana's currently is. I'm with After You -

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    the Symphony album is apparently on hold. the first few including Elvis , did really well but, since they have not faired as well .
    It's a dreadful and artistically barren idea and pretty much the only Diana lp I would definitely not purchase.

I would have to agree, in regards to the idea of a symphony album. I would imagine that if this project was truly in the cards, it would have likely been delayed or axed altogether due to the sales of the Motown Philharmonic album that came out last year. I am guessing it didn't make a big splash, sales-wise. I think this type of concept only works well for songs that did not have a symphonic sound to begin with, or if a slightly different/enhanced arrangement is adopted. When I heard "I Hear A Symphony" on the Motown Philharmonic album, I barely heard any difference between that version and the original recording, despite the instrumentation being new. In fact, I liked the original better, as some elements on the mix of this new version were a bit too distracting for my taste [ie. the hand claps]. I have similar feelings on the Carpenters Philharmonic album. I think Richard Carpenter wanted the arrangements to sound as close as possible to the original recordings, which made most of the new versions kind of redundant, in my opinion.
    Last edited by carlo; 07-07-2023 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    the Symphony album is apparently on hold. the first few including Elvis , did really well but, since they have not faired as well .
    The Elvis cds were brilliant, especially the Burning Love cut. I played it hundreds of times. A new generation discovered Elvis via these releases.

basically if she is to continue to record anything, i think it should be something of some personal meaning. to throw a few brainstorms out there:

isn't Rhonda in the music industry? same with evan and of course his wife? what about material recorded with them?

or expand that into a "friends and family" theme and get Smokey, Patti, Stevie and others to join in on things. perhaps something of the American Songbook that we've been mentioning. or favorite tunes that she's loved through the years

i also like the idea of a "greatest hits" album but taking the tunes into totally new directions. maybe working with the Hollands again to do a slow burn, jazz version of My World, have Evan product a modern take on one of her classics. like It's My Turn

Also i like the idea of not doing a full album but appearing on things like the movie tune Turn Up The Sunshine

Diana Ross ought to select and sing some choice popular Latin tunes in Spanish and Evan could play them as background music at his Mexican restaurant and then sell the exclusive CD at the counter by the cash register.

An album of lesser known Billie Holiday songs would be my pick. You would think with her B.H performances garnering special mention in concert, a jazz recording would be a natural.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 07-11-2023 at 01:39 PM.