[REMOVE ADS]

Jackson 5 "After You Leave Girl" v Delfonics "You're Gone"

I was just listening to Jackson 5 "The Rare Pearls" whilst cleaning and the song "After You Leave Girl" had come on and stopped me in my tracks because It sounded very familiar.
    So I dug out the inlay booklet to look at the credits and it states Bobby Taylor as the writer, so that didn't help so i started googling the lyrics and then I had a lightbulb moment and remembered The Delfonics and lo and behold I'm now listening to "You're Gone"

Although not exactly the same song the chorus and lead up verses are near identical both lyrically and melodically but "You're Gone" is credited to Thom Bell & William Hart.

The Song was also recorded in 1968 and features on the La La Means I Love You album so clearly was written and recorded before J5.

What's the deal here then? How does Bobby Taylor claim the song as the sole writer?

https://youtu.be/XzF3koN3kEw

https://youtu.be/9djwaw0a5tQ
    Last edited by alexstassi; 04-25-2023 at 12:02 PM.

The only two things I can figure are:

1) Crediting Bobby is some kind of mistake. It happens.

2) Bobby wrote the song originally and it was first erroneously credited to Bell and Hart and by the time of Rare Pearls, credit was finally given to Bobby.