[REMOVE ADS]

Donna Summer "Another Place And Time [Deluxe Edition]" [2CD set 7/7/2023]

Description from Driven By The Music UK-
    Donna Summer gained prominence during the 1970s disco era, propelled by her incessant and creative driving force behind the genre's global popularity, rightly earning the title "Queen Of Disco" and becoming one of the most successful recording artists of the entire decade, now having sold more than 130 million records worldwide. Donna Summer was the first artist to have three consecutive No. 1 double-LPs on the US Billboard charts & became the first artist to achieve four No. 1 singles in a thirteen-month period.

Donna's '80s close-out album was 1989's 'ANOTHER PLACE AND TIME', which paired her with multi-hit making, multi-million-selling UK producers Stock Aitken Waterman. The album is widely regarded as the best album they produced, and which was heavily featured in the recent two-part TV documentary Stock Aitken Waterman: Legends of Pop.

The album's lead single 'This Time I Know It's For Real' was an uplifting, club floorfiller and radio-friendly hit, peaking at #3 in the UK [#7 on the US Billboard Hot 100], giving Donna her highest charting solo single for more than a decade.

Four further singles were released from the album including the two Top 20 hits, 'I Don't Wanna Get Hurt' and 'Love's About To Change My Heart', giving Donna back-to-back UK Top 10 hits for the first time since 1977, as well as remixed versions of 'When Love Takes Over You' and 'Breakaway'.

This version is packaged as a 2CD in seven-inch deluxe gatefold packaging, with 8-page booklet containing the lyrics and personal recollections by Mike Stock, Matt Aitken and Pete Waterman.

This new edition features two previously unreleased re-edits, as well as a brand new remix of 'In Another Place And Time', produced by legendary PWL mixmaster, Pete Hammond, alongside a selection of 7" versions, extended mixes and two further new re-edits.

Tracklist
    [CD1]
    1. I Don't Wanna Get Hurt
    2. When Love Takes Over You
    3. This Time I Know It's For Real
    4. The Only One
    5. In Another Place And Time
    6. Sentimental
    7. Whatever Your Heart Desires
    8. Breakaway
    9. If It Makes You Feel Good
    10. Love's About To Change My Heart

[CD2]
    1. In Another Place And Time [Pete Hammond Remix]
    2. This Time I Know It's For Real [7" Mix]
    3. I Don't Wanna Get Hurt [7" Remix]
    4. Love's About To Change My Heart [PWL 7" Mix]
    5. Breakaway [Power Radio Mix]
    6. When Love Takes Over You [Dave Ford 7"]
    7. This Time I Know It's For Real [Extended Remix]
    8. Love's About To Change My Heart [Extended Remix]
    9. I Don't Wanna Get Hurt [Phil Harding 12" Version]
    10. Breakaway [Remix - Full Version]
    11. Love's About To Change My Heart [Clivillés & Cole 12" Mix]
    12. This Time I Know It's For Real [Euphoric Club Mix]
    13. When Love Takes Over You [Club Takeover Mix]

Amazon US-
    Donna Summer - Another Place & Time - Deluxe Gatefold Digipak - Amazon.com Music

Amazon UK-
    Donna Summer: Another Place and Time [2CD Deluxe Gatefold Packaging] by Donna Summer: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl

I dont understand those Donna Summer releases, whats the use?
    If you have:

And:

They keep rehashing the same albums.

I guess there are fans who like the individual albums, and/or do not want to spend a major lump sum on a set.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Donna Summer gained prominence during the 1970s disco era, propelled by her incessant and creative driving force behind the genre's global popularity, rightly earning the title "Queen Of Disco" and becoming one of the most successful recording artists of the entire decade, now having sold more than 130 million records worldwide. Donna Summer was the first artist to have three consecutive No. 1 double-LPs on the US Billboard charts & became the first artist to achieve four No. 1 singles in a thirteen-month period.

Donna's '80s close-out album was 1989's 'ANOTHER PLACE AND TIME', which paired her with multi-hit making, multi-million-selling UK producers Stock Aitken Waterman. The album is widely regarded as the best album they produced, and which was heavily featured in the recent two-part TV documentary Stock Aitken Waterman: Legends of Pop.

The album's lead single 'This Time I Know It's For Real' was an uplifting, club floorfiller and radio-friendly hit, peaking at #3 in the UK [#7 on the US Billboard Hot 100], giving Donna her highest charting solo single for more than a decade.

Four further singles were released from the album including the two Top 20 hits, 'I Don't Wanna Get Hurt' and 'Love's About To Change My Heart', giving Donna back-to-back UK Top 10 hits for the first time since 1977, as well as remixed versions of 'When Love Takes Over You' and 'Breakaway'.

This version is packaged as a 2CD in seven-inch deluxe gatefold packaging, with 8-page booklet containing the lyrics and personal recollections by Mike Stock, Matt Aitken and Pete Waterman.

This new edition features two previously unreleased re-edits, as well as a brand new remix of 'In Another Place And Time', produced by legendary PWL mixmaster, Pete Hammond, alongside a selection of 7" versions, extended mixes and two further new re-edits.

Tracklist
    [CD1]
    4. The Only One
    6. Sentimental
    8. Breakaway

[CD2]

Amazon US-
    Donna Summer - Another Place & Time - Deluxe Gatefold Digipak - Amazon.com Music

Amazon UK-
    Donna Summer: Another Place and Time [2CD Deluxe Gatefold Packaging] by Donna Summer: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl
    Interesting, Eddie. The UK certainly seems to best the USA in terms of these wonderful expanded sets. There are also big expandeds of Belinda Carlisle and Bananarama who I would not think would garner sufficient sales to encourage this kind of release. That said ... the cover art of AP&T always creeped me out! I wonder if it would fly as a new release today?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Interesting, Eddie. The UK certainly seems to best the USA in terms of these wonderful expanded sets. There are also big expandeds of Belinda Carlisle and Bananarama who I would not think would garner sufficient sales to encourage this kind of release. That said ... the cover art of AP&T always creeped me out! I wonder if it would fly as a new release today?
    Yeah, what was the point of the Geisha-looking pancake make up, and the hat that looks like it was part of a costume left over from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" film franchise? I always found the cover very unappealing. I wasn't listening to Summer any longer by the time the album came out, so I'm not familiar with it at all except for the singles.

I think the Donna Summer Estate has done a crappy job of celebrating her legacy. There is quite a bit of unreleased music by Donna circulating on the web in poor quality demos and such. Why oh why haven't they released that unreleased material? Or for that matter, why not an good compilation of her one-off singles and special guest recordings over the years [[duets, movie themes, etc...)? Just does not make sense to me how they sit on these tracks...

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post

Tracklist
    [CD1]
    4. The Only One
    6. Sentimental
    8. Breakaway

[CD2]

Amazon US-

Amazon UK-
    OMG Donna Summer in a costume with a modified skin tone. Cancel crowd: delete her entire catalogue immediately!!!!!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-24-2023 at 04:03 PM.

They have already released this album as a stand-alone CD three times in the past several years [excluding this latest version], in addition to the box sets that Jack mentioned above...

Donna Summer - Another Place And Time - 2 CD [2014]

https://www.discogs.com/release/6377...Place-And-Time

Donna Summer - Another Place And Time - 1 CD [2015]

https://www.discogs.com/release/7084...Place-And-Time

Donna Summer - Another Place And Time - 3 CD [2017]

https://www.discogs.com/release/1342...Place-And-Time

Then there was also the Another Place And Time 12" Mixes vinyl box set issued several years ago for Record Store Day, the two disc vinyl issued in 2017 for the 30th anniversary, and the single disc vinyl released in 2021. In addition to this latest 2 CD release coming out this year, there's also a picture disc vinyl being released, plus a 2 disc vinyl half-speed mastered version. All are reissues of this same album/material.

I'm all for preserving and celebrating an artist's legacy, but to me, this qualifies as the definition of 'milking it'. As a hardcore Donna fan, I think it's shameful. The estate/her family have acknowledged that there are unreleased songs in their vault but they said there are supposedly a small and infinite amount of them, and they basically don't want to release them all at once [at this point, we haven't gotten any unreleased music, since her passing]. They could at least work on releasing a compilation of her rare recordings that appeared on various soundtracks and compilations, similar to the bonus disc that they included in the Encore box set referenced above by Jack.

I think this repetitive campaign is boring and frustrating. This latest 2 CD has nothing new, other than a couple of revised 7" edits and a new remix by Pete Hammond. They recently put out anniversary releases for the 1982 Donna Summer album, with a picture disc that came out last year for Record Store Day, which was meant to be a re-creation of the original picture disc from '82. Instead of using the original gorgeous photo of Donna that was used for the b-side of the original disc, they slapped a generic tracklisting on it instead, as the picture. Cheap and lazy.

I'll leave this release for the casual fans to buy. I can only hope it does well, but hard to say when they've shamelessly reissued the same stuff over and over.

I'm anxiously waiting for the documentary to go up on streaming next month!
    Last edited by carlo; 04-24-2023 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    They have already released this album as a stand-alone CD three times in the past several years [excluding this latest version], in addition to the box sets that Jack mentioned above...

Donna Summer - Another Place And Time - 2 CD [2014]

https://www.discogs.com/release/6377...Place-And-Time

Donna Summer - Another Place And Time - 1 CD [2015]

https://www.discogs.com/release/7084...Place-And-Time

Donna Summer - Another Place And Time - 3 CD [2017]

https://www.discogs.com/release/1342...Place-And-Time

Then there was also the Another Place And Time 12" Mixes vinyl box set issued several years ago for Record Store Day, the two disc vinyl issued in 2017 for the 30th anniversary, and the single disc vinyl released in 2021. In addition to this latest 2 CD release coming out this year, there's also a picture disc vinyl being released, plus a 2 disc vinyl half-speed mastered version. All are reissues of this same album/material.

I'm all for preserving and celebrating an artist's legacy, but to me, this qualifies as the definition of 'milking it'. As a hardcore Donna fan, I think it's shameful. The estate/her family have acknowledged that there are unreleased songs in their vault but they said there are supposedly a small and infinite amount of them, and they basically don't want to release them all at once [at this point, we haven't gotten any unreleased music, since her passing]. They could at least work on releasing a compilation of her rare recordings that appeared on various soundtracks and compilations, similar to the bonus disc that they included in the Encore box set referenced above by Jack.

I think this repetitive campaign is boring and frustrating. This latest 2 CD has nothing new, other than a couple of revised 7" edits and a new remix by Pete Hammond. They recently put out anniversary releases for the 1982 Donna Summer album, with a picture disc that came out last year for Record Store Day, which was meant to be a re-creation of the original picture disc from '82. Instead of using the original gorgeous photo of Donna that was used for the b-side of the original disc, they slapped a generic tracklisting on it instead, as the picture. Cheap and lazy.

I'll leave this release for the casual fans to buy. I can only hope it does well, but hard to say when they've shamelessly reissued the same stuff over and over.

I'm anxiously waiting for the documentary to go up on streaming next month!
    With the exception of Donna Summer's Box Set, I didn't know about all the reissues for this album. And I have to agree with you that this is the very definition of 'milking it'. Anyways, I'm looking forward to the HBO Doc on Donna next month too.