[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Simply Singing

In a thread a few weeks ago, I mentioned how I think Diana's reliance on glitz, glamour and razzle dazzle entertainment- as fantastic as it was- distracted from the pure singing ability she possessed. I saw a Patti Labelle clip the other day where she said that today's singers relying on all the dancers and the light shows, etc, was about hiding the fact that without it, the singers can't sing. Or something to that effect. I agree. Obviously I don't put Diana in that category, but I do think it's a shame that a lot of people remember her for all the razzle dazzle but not necessarily the pure beauty of the voice. I think she upped her entertainment game with the Evening With show and it was full steam ahead. What got left behind was the pre-"Evening With" Diana. Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

-The Royal Albert Hall concert, where she opens with what I believe is my favorite live version of "Touch Me In the Morning".

-"Reach Out and Touch" from her Copenhagen show.

-"Big Mabel Murphy" from the Ceasar's Palace album, which I really hope we get an expanded edition someday. [[Yeah, yeah, we're still waiting on Reflections EE, yada, yada, yada)

Fantastic show, btw, which I know most of us have seen or have copies of. The whole show is great but I couldn't find just "Touch Me In the Morning", but she opens the show with it.

Here she is singing "Reach Out and Touch" in Copenhagen 1973 around the 5:13 mark. Simply beautiful. I see playback is disabled on anything but Youtube, so just click the YT link.

Outstanding vocal for this one. Like I said, just give the lady a mic. She didn't need all that extra stuff, although I recognize that entertainment was moving more in that direction and Diana just kind of moved with it. But I don't think she needed it to be an effective entertainer. She killed "Big Mable Murphy".

Pretty much the entire Stolen Moments show, but this in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Fantastic show, btw, which I know most of us have seen or have copies of. The whole show is great but I couldn't find just "Touch Me In the Morning", but she opens the show with it.

I remember her biting a member of the audience while performing “TMITM” a previous evening. Mercifully it never became part of the show.
    Diana appeared less emotionally connected to the material she was performing as the years progressed. Certainly upon leaving Motown for rca. It’s a real shame, because she had the chops as proved by her stunning version of “My Man” from HBO 79.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post

As mentioned in a review, this was a rare moment where she forgets about being Diana Ross and just connects to the song. I so wish there had been more of these moments.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Outstanding vocal for this one. Like I said, just give the lady a mic. She didn't need all that extra stuff, although I recognize that entertainment was moving more in that direction and Diana just kind of moved with it. But I don't think she needed it to be an effective entertainer. She killed "Big Mable Murphy".

that's always been a favorite of mine too.

her performance of My Man on Evening With is near perfect

another great is Corner of the Sky from Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I remember her biting a member of the audience while performing “TMITM” a previous evening. Mercifully it never became part of the show.
    That happened on the same tour, but in Paris. It's quite frightening the way the fan approached her, so her reaction is quite understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    That happened on the same tour, but in Paris. It's quite frightening the way the fan approached her, so her reaction is quite understandable.

I agree Jaap. The fan may have hugged and kissed her, but this was totally unacceptable, appearing more an assault then a demonstration of affection. She should have kneed him somewhere it would hurt as a painful lesson in social etiquette.

I agree. There's another video of her singing this acapella. I think it was the induction of Billie Holliday into the R&R HOF or some other hall. She sounded great.

After how well done and well received Stolen Moments was, why on earth she didn't decide to continue in that direction for her recording work, I'll never understand. The same with Mary Wilson. I can't imagine either of them didn't take note of how Natalie Cole transitioned and kept herself relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post

These were the days when entertainers were still pretty accessible. I imagine it's moments like these that changed how close in contact entertainers and fans could get. This is the first time I've seen this footage so clearly. I always saw a grainy video. It wasn't bad clarity, but not as clear as this. Here I can better see just how aggressive this dude was, not only the first time, but even as she was apologizing to him. What's interesting about this moment is that Diana seems genuinely bothered that she hurt him.

Here's one from the DRATS days with Ethel Waters. Diana sounds so comfortable with such a legend. Reminds me of what it might have sounded like with Diana singing along with her grandmother. They both sound so good and Diana doesn't have to do much with her voice. It's just bliss even in a simple way.

I love listening to "Stolen Moments". The singing is natural, breezy and free falling like jazz should be. Wish we had a follow-up with a small jazz combo. Oh my...

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I love listening to "Stolen Moments". The singing is natural, breezy and free falling like jazz should be. Wish we had a follow-up with a small jazz combo. Oh my...
    I'd like this kind of album from Diana at this point. Maybe a jazz version of songs from her catalog.

My man at Motown 60 was beyond AMAZING imo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6JU4HlrRLo

Forever Young live is a good example.

Forever Young live is a good example.

Yes yes yes I must agree with you. Thank you.

Fondly,

Roberta

I do think the last time I saw her ,she was was more concerned with the wardrobe then the music..
    I kept thinking as a individual kept coming on stage and bring her different capes and boas...just sing..make this lady get off stage.
    I also hoped she would have recorded a standards album but...