In a thread a few weeks ago, I mentioned how I think Diana's reliance on glitz, glamour and razzle dazzle entertainment- as fantastic as it was- distracted from the pure singing ability she possessed. I saw a Patti Labelle clip the other day where she said that today's singers relying on all the dancers and the light shows, etc, was about hiding the fact that without it, the singers can't sing. Or something to that effect. I agree. Obviously I don't put Diana in that category, but I do think it's a shame that a lot of people remember her for all the razzle dazzle but not necessarily the pure beauty of the voice. I think she upped her entertainment game with the Evening With show and it was full steam ahead. What got left behind was the pre-"Evening With" Diana. Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

-The Royal Albert Hall concert, where she opens with what I believe is my favorite live version of "Touch Me In the Morning".

-"Reach Out and Touch" from her Copenhagen show.

-"Big Mabel Murphy" from the Ceasar's Palace album, which I really hope we get an expanded edition someday. [[Yeah, yeah, we're still waiting on Reflections EE, yada, yada, yada)