[REMOVE ADS]

Had ABC released a Florence Ballard album, what could the title have been?

.... what could the cover look like?

Taking into considerations of legal limitations, surely there should've have been a way to sell her ... and allude to who she was.

one title that comes to mind:
    "SO LONG DETROIT!" perhaps with a picture of a smiling Florence, arms raised, surrounded by baggage at the LA airport.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-18-2023 at 01:22 PM.

It was written somewhere that the album was supposed to be titled, "You Don't Have To". Perhaps this was written in Tony Turner's book? I remember it was the title of one of the chapters in someone's book.

This is one album I would love to see released on vinyl.
    Last edited by carlo; 04-18-2023 at 01:53 PM.

J. Randy wrote about the title being YOU DON'T HAVE TO as well. I think he mentioned it in his first Diana book [1985].

Some of Flo's recordings like STAY IN LOVE and FOREVER FAITHFUL might have made good album titles as well.
    Last edited by reese; 04-18-2023 at 01:57 PM.

I was under the impression that Ballard recorded two singles for ABC. That would be a total of four songs. wiki says an album by her was "shelved", meaning the idea of making of it was shelved or ... one had been recorded and it was then shelved??

The title of YOU DON'T HAVE TO seems quite lackadaisical.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-18-2023 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I was under the impression that Ballard recorded two singles for ABC. That would be a total of four songs. wiki says an album by her was "shelved", meaning the idea of making of it was shelved or ... one had been recorded and it was then shelved??

The title of YOU DON'T HAVE TO seems quite lackadaisical.
    She recorded 14 songs in total for ABC. After the two singles bombed, ABC decided not to release the album.

In 2001, the ABC recordings [along with four Flo leads as a Supreme] were released on the cd THE SUPREME FLORENCE BALLARD.

Wow it must have really been bad to not think, “well we can try to recoup something by releasing the album . There must be some degree of a fan base. And if they dont like it who cares, we’re done with her anyway.”

I wonder how well it sold in 2001. Obviously the word was out that it stunk.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-18-2023 at 05:30 PM.

Here are the facts, courtesy of the Florence Ballard Fan Club. February 1988 issue.

In 1968, Florence recorded an album for ABC Records with the proposed title YOU DON"T HAVE TO. As thousands of fans waited in anticipation of its release, the album became a hushed topic. As her solo career went into a decline, the album became an abandoned project, never to see the light of day. This year marks the 20th anniversary of this unreleased album which now sets in the vault at MCA. This album was the crowning act of Florence's solo career. Great effort and love went into its creation. It meant a lot to her.

However, sentiment alone will not get the album released. A massive letter writing campaign must be started. I am setting this process in action by appealing to each of you to ask at least five of your acquaintances to write to MCA requesting the release of Florence's album. In turn your acquaintances should ask at least five of their friends and associates to do to the same. Letters should be addressed to Mr. Andy McKaie, Special Markets and Products, MCA Records, Universal City, CA 91602.

In the next issue May 1988 the following was disseminated.

I [Alan White, President, FBFC] have been corresponding with Andy McKaie of MCA Records as a result of the letter writing campaign to gain the release of Florence's recordings. The letter writing campaign, McKaie say, was a success in one level in that he finally listened to the FB ABC tapes. He goes on to state, "Unfortunately the reason they were never released was quite apparent--the recordings are not very good. In fact, the recordings are quite disappointing on every level, and I would recommend against MCA releasing the collection in tact. At some point in the future a song may be culled for a 'rare soul' or similar compilation, but that's as far as I would take it."

Alan then states that as an aside, he might mention that he has heard seven songs from the ABC recordings and they sound just fine to him. Apparently they do not measure up to MCA's standards for whatever reason. Meanwhile he called off the letter writing campaign at McKaie's request. He stated that all writers were wonderful in the great support given to the letter writing campaign. It was great team work and definitely made a big statement to MCA.

Moving forward, we can all thank Paul Nixon from the UK as Universal Music Operations in 2001 released a Spectrum label CD entitled The Supreme Florence Ballard. 544 517 2. If you don't have this CD, search and you shall get it.
    Last edited by woodward; 04-18-2023 at 07:01 PM.

To piggy back off Andy McKaie's statement in the post above, Flo's track IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW I SAY IT did end up being released on the 1998 Hip-O cd SOULFUL DIVAS VOL. 1: POP 'N' SOUL SIRENS. Amongst the other artists included were Dionne Warwick, Martha Reeves, Maxine Brown, Patti Drew, Ketty Lester, and others.

Note: The cd was produced and compiled by noted writer David Nathan and executive produced by McKaie.

As I recall when the CD finally came out in 2001 a lot of Flo fans over at Yahoo groups were underwhelmed or disappointed in the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    As I recall when the CD finally came out in 2001 a lot of Flo fans over at Yahoo groups were underwhelmed or disappointed in the project.
    I don't remember it being "a lot" of fans disappointed. I seem to recall how glad most of us were to have it and enjoyed it for what it was, although most of us had our criticisms. Quite a few of us already had all the ABC tracks on a bootleg, along with alternates, so it wasn't much of a surprise when it was officially released that Flo's album was no Supremes A Go Go. Adding "Hey Baby" and "Heavenly Father" was the highlight for me from the set, since those were two songs I didn't previously have. While I had my criticisms of most of the productions, I still hold a few of the songs in high regard. Of my Supremes fandom years, acquiring both the bootleg and the official release of Flo's music are among the highlights for me.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    To piggy back off Andy McKaie's statement in the post above, Flo's track IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW I SAY IT did end up being released on the 1998 Hip-O cd SOULFUL DIVAS VOL. 1: POP 'N' SOUL SIRENS. Amongst the other artists included were Dionne Warwick, Martha Reeves, Maxine Brown, Patti Drew, Ketty Lester, and others.

Note: The cd was produced and compiled by noted writer David Nathan and executive produced by McKaie.
    I remember that. That's actually the first time I heard "It Doesn't Matter". Can't remember what site it was on, but the album was for sale and they had snippets. I was underwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    J. Randy wrote about the title being YOU DON'T HAVE TO as well. I think he mentioned it in his first Diana book [1985].

Some of Flo's recordings like STAY IN LOVE and FOREVER FAITHFUL might have made good album titles as well.
    The track for "You Don't Have To" was actually cut but didn't receive vocals. I have the instrumental on bootleg. Weird that the one song without vocals was the intended album title, but then who knows if that's actually what the intended title was meant to be. Stay In Love and Forever Faithful and My Heart​ certainly seem like better options.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I remember that. That's actually the first time I heard "It Doesn't Matter". Can't remember what site it was on, but the album was for sale and they had snippets. I was underwhelmed.
    I found a copy of LOVE AIN'T LOVE on my first trip to Detroit in 1990. But I too didn't hear IT DOESN"T MATTER HOW I SAY IT until I bought the SOULFUL DIVAS cd. I can't say that I loved it. But it was Flo, so I was glad to finally have a copy.

The lead single is always a good choice for lp title.

Given how it all turned out, The Impossible Dream?

how about just simply HERE'S FLO!

I got the CD when it was released and thought it was OK, enjoyable....I am not a big fan of Florence's voice...I just don't find her sound / tone all that enjoyable...there are moments I enjoy where she was a featured lead...Good News, the clip of Eight Days A Week...love her line in A Breath Taking Guy.

I just thought of a good one :

Florence Ballard:
    FRONT AND CENTER
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-20-2023 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Taking into considerations of legal limitations, surely there should've have been a way to sell her ... and allude to who she was.
    Good question! I'd simply call the album Presenting Florence Ballard.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Given how it all turned out, The Impossible Dream?

No way. Lol

True, it would have made a good title, but I'd like to think that if the album had actually been packaged and released, "Dream" would not have made the final cut. While it's bouncy arrangement still could have worked for such a sentimental song, the track is missing any kind of warmth. And Flo's vocal isn't all that good until she lets go a little bit toward the end, but by then the bad taste is firmly in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Good question! I'd simply call the album Presenting Florence Ballard.
    That would have been a good one!

How about

COME SEE ABOUT ME !

"FLO, She Don't Know"

Flo Ballard: "The Boy I Love is a Romeo"

Track listing:

Side A:

Love Ain't Love
    Cupid
    A Fool in Love
    Just Like Romeo and Juliet
    Walk On By
    Do You Love Me?

Side B:

Back in His Arms Once Again
    Nothing Can Beat Our Love
    Adore You [[More and More)
    He's Sure the Boy I Love
    One Week From Today [[I Say I Do)
    The Boy I Love is a Romeo

…..Song Bird ….
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-21-2023 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    "FLO, She Don't Know"
    Lol, marybrewster, I was going to suggest the same title.

I will add that the back cover should say “That’s what you think!”

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Lol, marybrewster, I was going to suggest the same title.

I will add that the back cover should say “That’s what you think!”
    Bravo! That'd be fantastic, lol.

June 30th:

Quote for the Day:

"I didn't ever intend to get back into show business. I thought I'd make a few investments and just sort of stay at home and take care of Tommy and the kids.

But you know my fans get my telephone number somehow and they call me up and ask what I'm doing and why I don't sing again. So I decided to give it a try. If things don't work out I can always come back here and enjoy my house.

I'm sort of like a -well, like Richard Nixon you might say. Remember how everyone thought he was all washed up? They thought he was out of it - through. But Nixon didn't think it; he believed in Richard Nixon. Now look where he is today.

Same thing with me: I believe in Florence Ballard. I believe I can make it. Just because I'm not with The Supremes doesn't mean that I have to sit here in Detroit and dry up. I could have half a dozen flops and I'd still believe in me. I wonder if people know how many flops The Supremes had before we made it big?"

- Ebony magazine interview, 1969 -

On her Birthday, remembering Florence Ballard [Florence Glenda 'Blondie' Ballard, latterly Chapman; 1943-1976]; R&B, soul and pop singer; The Primettes; founding member of The Supremes....

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post

"I didn't ever intend to get back into show business. I thought I'd make a few investments and just sort of stay at home and take care of Tommy and the kids.

But you know my fans get my telephone number somehow and they call me up and ask what I'm doing and why I don't sing again. So I decided to give it a try.
    One never seems to lose that old Motown training. Keeping up appearances was always the name of the game. Saying "Motown tried to cheat me on my money and so it took about seven or eight months for my lawyer to get in their ass about paying what was due me and once that was complete, I was free to find another label" would have gone against that. Of course the gloves would come off a couple years later when she filed her lawsuit against the label and publicly aired some of the dirty laundry.

I believe her when she says she believed in herself, that's why it sucks so much that she turned her attention to her legal grievances [[although I don't neglect her right to fight for what was hers, be it Motown or the thieving lawyer) rather than forge ahead in her career. I imagine motherhood having her attention might also have turned her focus.