[REMOVE ADS]

Al B. Sure's Producer Kyle West Discusses Working with Diana

Kyle begins discussing Diana @ TC 4:45.

Diana was in a good place during this time. Nice to hear from someone who did enjoy working with her.

Most people who have worked with Diana have nothing but good things to say. Unfortunately on this forum people only like to bring up Gary Katz and that Gibb brother.

Thanks Reese. This is a great find!

Oh there will be nothing to talk about now

Thanks so much for sharing, reese! Never knew what Kyle looked like. I wore out those first 2 Al B. albums!

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Most people who have worked with Diana have nothing but good things to say. Unfortunately on this forum people only like to bring up Gary Katz and that Gibb brother.
    Suzanne de Passé said Diana was the biggest pain in the ass she had ever worked with and she’s worked with quite a few.
    In fairness to Diana, i think it all depends on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Suzanne de Passé said Diana was the biggest pain in the ass she had ever worked with and she’s worked with quite a few.
    In fairness to Diana, i think it all depends on the day.
    Like many aspects in life, there is always two sides to a situation. Perhaps SdP could have off days too?

I will admit that NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO was not one of my faves but I was happy that it did well.

I bought Al B. Sure's album just because Diana was on it. Later, when the song itself was released, I bought the cassingle, cd single, as well as the 45. I think I might have bought a 12" as well. Just the completist in me, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Oh there will be nothing to talk about now
    Sure there is!
    For the second time recently, first by Ray Parker Jr., its being brought out that the primary goal of later day Diana Ross when recording, wasn't a concern about the music itself, but how little time she could possibly spend in the studio making it.
    Maybe she learned that from dueting with Lionel and their ENDLESS LOVE experience?

[And yes very good of her that she smiled and behaved.]

Great story!

Diana is as human as the rest of us. True, there are some artists you'll be hard pressed to find a bad word about. They were always professional, always nice. Then there are others who may have always been nightmares, usually substance abuse related. I imagine most are like Diana...it all depends on the day, the time period, the cast of characters, etc, on whether the experience was a good one or bad one. But when you're as legendary as Diana, coupled with her race and gender, the popular stories tend to skew toward the negative. But that's why it's always good to try one's best to be on their best behavior. Don't give folks something to talk about. Diana clearly didn't always subscribe to that motto.

i think Diana has always had strong respect for professionals. people that are highly talented at their roles whether it's a director, producer, musician or whatever. if they bring their A-game, she will most likely be respectful, prompt, have her portion as ready as possible.

i did chuckle that he said they were late and she was already there. i wonder if their tardiness get on her nerves a bit lol. he then laughs on Day 2 they were there early! lol

he also mentioned that she specifically asked "do you need anything else, is that all? anything other things? speak now or forever hold your peace" lol Like other busy people, she probably hates having her time wasted. if a producer is disorganized and unprepared, she'll probably be upset. or if they don't have things clearly planned out for what they need from her and then later say "oh hey - can you come by again quickly..."

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Sure there is!
    For the second time recently, first by Ray Parker Jr., its being brought out that the primary goal of later day Diana Ross when recording, wasn't a concern about the music itself, but how little time she could possibly spend in the studio making it.
    Maybe she learned that from dueting with Lionel and their ENDLESS LOVE experience?

[And yes very good of her that she smiled and behaved.]
    i didn't get the feeling this time that she was trying to cut things short or minimize her work. i think she knew she was only doing a part of this track. it's not quite a full duet. like Endless Love. so probably just wanted to ensure they had what they needed and that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i didn't get the feeling this time that she was trying to cut things short or minimize her work. i think she knew she was only doing a part of this track. it's not quite a full duet. like Endless Love. so probably just wanted to ensure they had what they needed and that was it.
    well he made it clear that she was giving them two shots at it and that was it .....you better have what you need or else too bad !! .....

but at least she was smiling when she said it!!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-12-2023 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Like many aspects in life, there is always two sides to a situation. Perhaps SdP could have off days too?
    I expect so, but Suzanne said Diana was easily the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I will admit that NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO was not one of my faves but I was happy that it did well.

I bought Al B. Sure's album just because Diana was on it. Later, when the song itself was released, I bought the cassingle, cd single, as well as the 45. I think I might have bought a 12" as well. Just the completist in me, I guess.
    I loved the 12” with all the different remixes. Originally i preferred the version that was featured on the Al B.Sure album, thinking the remix on “FBTP” quite diluted. I have since come to enjoy both.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I really liked that recording. It was exactly the kind of sound I wished Ross had explored more fully at the time.

Fun interview. The professionals love working with Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I really liked that recording. It was exactly the kind of sound I wished Ross had explored more fully at the time.
    I do too! This is the music that my friends and myself really liked. Very good current R&B music.