[REMOVE ADS]

The Weather Girls & Martha Wash–Carry On 1982-1992, 4CD set [6/23/2023-Cherry Red]

Info from Cherry Red UK-

Extensive 4CD box set showcasing the entire Columbia Records catalogue of 80s disco/soul duo The Weather Girls plus Martha Wash’s glorious solo RCA debut.
    • 58 tracks, this first-of-its-kind box set spans all three of the duo’s Columbia albums plus Martha’s hugely successful solo debut, plus a massive 22 bonus tracks including rare single edits, extended versions, club mixes and more – many appearing for the first time on CD.
    • Featuring five US Top 30 dance hits, including the duo’s 1982 global smash debut ‘It’s Raining Men’ and Martha’s solo #1 club monsters ‘Carry On’ and ‘Give It To You’.

DISC ONE
    SUCCESS [Expanded Edition]
    1. Success
    2. Hungry For Love
    3. Dear Santa [Bring Me A Man This Christmas]
    4. Hope
    5. It’s Raining Men
    6. I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair
    Bonus Tracks
    7. Ladies Hot Line
    8. Hope [Long Version]
    9. It’s Raining Men [12″ Vocal Version]
    10. Success [Larger Than Life Remix]
    11. I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair [12″ Vocal Version]
    12. It’s Raining Men [7” Vocal Version]
    13. Dear Santa [Bring Me A Man This Christmas] [Pt. 1]
    14. It’s Raining Men / I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair [Special Version]

DISC TWO
    BIG GIRLS DON’T CRY [Expanded Edition]
    1. Lock Me Up
    2. Big Girls Don’t Cry
    3. Well-A-Wiggy
    4. No One Can Love You More Than Me
    5. Down On The Corner
    6. March
    7. Laughter In The Rain
    8. You Can Do It
    Bonus Tracks
    9. Well-A-Wiggy [Extended Version]
    10. No One Can Love You More Than Me [Extended Mix]
    *11. Well-A-Wiggy [Dub Version]
    *12. No One Can Love You More Than Me [Single Version]

DISC THREE
    THE WEATHER GIRLS [Expanded Edition]
    1. Land Of The Believer
    2. Love’s On The Way
    3. Why Can’t We Show Our Love
    4. Opposite Directions
    5. Love You Like A Train
    6. Worth My Weight In Love
    7. Burn Me!
    8. Something For Nothing
    Bonus Tracks
    *9. The Land Of … [F.F. Believe In Beats Mix]
    *10. Love You Like A Train [Choo-Choo Mix] [12″ Version]
    *11. Land Of The Believer [Single Version]
    *12. Love You Like A Train [7″ Version]
    *13. Love You Like A Train [7″ Instrumental]
    *14. Love You Like A Train [Dub Mix]

DISC FOUR
    MARTHA WASH [Expanded Edition]
    1. Someone Who Believes In You [Prelude]
    2. So Whatcha Gonna Do
    3. Give It To You
    4. Runaround
    5. Now That You’re Gone
    6. Things We Do For Love
    7. Just Us [Dancin’]
    8 Leave A Light On
    9. Carry On
    10. Someone Who Believes In You
    11. Hold On [Part I]
    12. Hold On [Part II]
    13. When It’s My Heart
    14. Just Us [Singin’]
    Bonus Tracks
    15. Carry On [Masters At Work 12″ Dance Mix]
    16. Give It To You [Maurice’s 12″ Mix]
    17. Runaround [Tee’s 12″ Mix]
    18. Give It To You [Top 40 Version]

* first appearance on CD
    The Weather Girls & Martha Wash - Carry On: The Deluxe Edition 1982-1992, 4CD Deluxe Edition - Cherry Red Records

Now that this concept is catching on, let's see who else we can "catch up" on. Let's see: The four Hodges, James and Smith LPs would make a nice CD set; I personally would LOVE to see a complete Denise LaSalle Malaco anthology; Melba Moore could use a more complete set that the double that we got a few years ago; Maxine Nightingale has been pretty much ignored in the CD era; and I am sure I could think of others if I put my mine to it. So keep up the good work out there. There are MANY MORE vaults that can be mined!

Nice!! I like that they included her awesome solo album as well. I might get this set.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    There are MANY MORE vaults that can be mined!
    I hear Ya Dave. Here's one that I'd like to see; a complete Rufus & Chaka Khan albums collection. As you say, "Keep 'Em Coming".

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I hear Ya Dave. Here's one that I'd like to see; a complete Rufus & Chaka Khan albums collection. As you say, "Keep 'Em Coming".
    They released a 5 CD set as part of the "Original Album Classics" series, but it was missing Stompin' at the Savoy and Camouflage. Thankfully those came out recently as well, on separate CD's. I think they may be all out of print now, so it may be a good idea to bring them out again as a new collection, per your suggestion.
    Last edited by carlo; 04-06-2023 at 10:05 PM.

Saw them in New York at either The Bottom Line or the Blue Note when they were still the Two Tons Of Fun. Those TTOF tracks are much better although the 12-inch of No One Can Love You More Than Me is a great dance mix.
    Last edited by jack020; 04-07-2023 at 10:02 AM.

Since we're throwing out suggestions, I'd like Cissy Houston's Columbia album, "Step Aside for a Lady," to see reissue, perhaps grouped with the Warning - Danger tracks.

Unidisc released an Expanded "The Classic Redd" {Sharon Redd} compilation not long ago. It would be great to have a complete Sharon Redd on Prelude set.

Vaneese Thomas is still on my Wanted list.

Lulu's "Independence" album is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. There are a few tracks from that album era which have yet to be released digitally.

The most recent Loleatta Holloway reissues have been rather brickwalled with some bonus tracks poorly sourced. It would be great to have Loleatta's Gold Mind recordings together from master tapes, dynamically remastered, particularly the hard to find 7" remixes {e.g. "Seconds," "We're Getting Stronger," "Catch Me on the Rebound" etc.}.

I'm pretty sure Unidisc have the rights for most of the Prelude material. Prices on Unidisc have shot up over here in the UK, no idea why.
    I'd love to see the Ritchie Family early stuff from Marlin/Mercury.
    I think I'll probably go for this Weather Girls release. I don't have any of their stuff and was looking at the "Big Girls" album back end of last year. One purchase could cover it in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    They released a 5 CD set as part of the "Original Album Classics" series, but it was missing Stompin' at the Savoy and Camouflage. Thankfully those came out recently as well, on separate CD's. I think they may be all out of print now, so it may be a good idea to bring them out again as a new collection, per your suggestion.
    It was a 6 cd set containing Rufus, Rags to Rufus, Rufusized, Rufus feat. Chaka Khan, Ask Rufus and Streetplayer, but it did indeed omit Stompin and Camouflage.

Didn't know about this set before so thanks Carlo for the information. I looked up the Classic Album Selection compilation on Discogs.com and it's also missing their Masterjam LP [featuring the hit "Do You Love What you Feel"] along with Camouflage & Stompin' At The Savoy so it's not complete. I also found this single disc best of that came out in the UK in 1997 [and it's a big improvement over the 'best of' that came out in the US].

Rufus & Chaka Khan – Tell Me Something Good [1997, CD] - Discogs

Thanks Bluebrock...you're right that the Rufus set was 6 CD's, not 5

You're welcome, Motown Eddie! Funny enough, I don't think I had ever noticed that it was missing their Masterjam album! I don't think I have that album on CD...here I thought my collection was complete, haha! I'm glad you alerted me to that

Is this the compilation you had found? I've never seen this one before...

Rufus & Chaka Khan - Tell Me Something Good

Url: https://www.discogs.com/release/1368...Something-Good

Edit: Just ordered Masterjam on CD...phew!
    Last edited by carlo; 04-08-2023 at 08:23 AM.

Not only those two, but the group’s two “Chaka-less” albums, Numbers and Seal in Red, are missing. They always get short shrift because of her absence, but I’d love to see them resurface.

Is this the compilation you had found? I've never seen this one before...

Rufus & Chaka Khan - Tell Me Something Good

Url: https://www.discogs.com/release/1368...Something-Good
    Yes, that's the one. I didn't know about Rufus & Chaka Khan's Tell Me Something Good collection myself until recently. And at 17 tracks, it's a much better compilation than the Very Best of Rufus with Chaka Khan LP that came out in 1982, only had 10 tracks and reissued on CD in 1996 without any liner notes or additional songs.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 04-08-2023 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Not only those two, but the group’s two “Chaka-less” albums, Numbers and Seal in Red, are missing. They always get short shrift because of her absence, but I’d love to see them resurface.
    I had a feeling someone was gonna call me out for not mentioning those albums lol. Yes, you're right, sansradio. I have a preference for the Chaka era myself but that's just me

I had a feeling someone was gonna call me out for not mentioning those albums lol. Yes, you're right, sansradio. I have a preference for the Chaka era myself but that's just me
    Oh, stop! I wasn't calling you out, just putting some meat on your observation.

I, too, am more of a Chaka-head. Numbers is particularly well-regarded among critics, though; I remember one of my brothers owning it on vinyl. And at least Seal in Red is available on Apple Music.

Yes, that's the one. I didn't know about Rufus & Chaka Khan's Tell Me Something Good collection myself until recently. And at 17 tracks, it's a much better compilation than the Very Best of Rufus with Chaka Khan LP that came out in 1982, only had 10 tracks and reissued on CD in 1996 without any liner notes or additional songs.
    Not to mention that THE VERY BEST OF... cd has a skip or weird edit during the intro of ONCE YOU GET STARTED, something I didn't even notice until I read about it in ICE magazine.

Note: I believe it was corrected in future pressings.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Oh, stop! I wasn't calling you out, just putting some meat on your observation.

I, too, am more of a Chaka-head. Numbers is particularly well-regarded among critics, though; I remember one of my brothers owning it on vinyl. And at least Seal in Red is available on Apple Music.
    ETA: And oops—I totally spaced on 1981’s Party ‘Til You’re Broke, which is long out of print as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Not to mention that THE VERY BEST OF... cd has a skip or weird edit during the intro of ONCE YOU GET STARTED, something I didn't even notice until I read about it in ICE magazine.

Note: I believe it was corrected in future pressings.
    I was the one who wrote to ICE Magazine to complain about the glitch on "Once You Get Started" from the Very Best of Rufus and Chaka CD back in 1996. Someone from MCA Records said they would look into it and correct the glitch for future pressings. I didn't bother to ask for a corrected copy since I already had the correct version of the song on the Rufusized CD.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 04-13-2023 at 10:31 AM.

I was the one who wrote to ICE Magazine to complain about the glitch on "Once You Get Started" from the Very Best of Rufus and Chaka CD back in 1996.
    I LOVED ICE Magazine. I was very sorry when they closed down.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I LOVED ICE Magazine. I was very sorry when they closed down.
    Same Here! ICE Magazine was Great for keeping up with new releases & reissues on CD. Also a wonderful place for people to report discrepancies that pop up on CD releases.