[REMOVE ADS]

Diana performs "Last time I saw him"

It was 1979 when she taped the Muppet Show. Any reason why she choose such an oldie?
    It wasn't even a hit in UK and it wasn't in her act anymore.
    Same with "Love Hangover" instead of performing something from The Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    It was 1979 when she taped the Muppet Show. Any reason why she choose such an oldie?

I would imagine it was the producers of the show who chose the song.

it would be interesting to learn more about the why/when/how of this performance. the song is very much a "band" song. sure her lead is perfect and very enjoyable on it. but the star of the song is the dixieland band behind her. the band/orchestra on the muppets were key characters within the structure of the program - Rolf the dog, Floyd, Janice, Zoot, Animal. and music was always a big part of the experience too. maybe someone thought they should do one of her songs that could easily accommodate the band muppets.

and actually NONE of the tunes that show were current. Love Hangover was 4 or 5 years old, Last Time and Reach out and touch. she was riding high on upside down, i'm coming out, the boss. but none of those were selected

i will also say that the wonderfully insane and odd aspect that we all know and love as "the muppets" was played out beautifully in the LH segment. WTF is going on there?!?!?! but it works. you have Diana in a gold jumpsuit prancing around a runway and then this fever-dream psychedelic bird descends and joins her dancing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39dGQdq4JX4

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it would be interesting to learn more about the why/when/how of this performance. the song is very much a "band" song. sure her lead is perfect and very enjoyable on it. but the star of the song is the dixieland band behind her. the band/orchestra on the muppets were key characters within the structure of the program - Rolf the dog, Floyd, Janice, Zoot, Animal. and music was always a big part of the experience too. maybe someone thought they should do one of her songs that could easily accommodate the band muppets.

and actually NONE of the tunes that show were current. Love Hangover was 4 or 5 years old, Last Time and Reach out and touch. she was riding high on upside down, i'm coming out, the boss. but none of those were selected

i will also say that the wonderfully insane and odd aspect that we all know and love as "the muppets" was played out beautifully in the LH segment. WTF is going on there?!?!?! but it works. you have Diana in a gold jumpsuit prancing around a runway and then this fever-dream psychedelic bird descends and joins her dancing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39dGQdq4JX4
    The Muppet Show was recorded February 1980. The diana album would not be released until May that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The Muppet Show was recorded February 1980. The diana album would not be released until May that year.
    oh that's right! my mistake. and while The Boss is amazing, it wasn't a mega hit and so i can see them maybe not including it in the show.

This episode is one of the ones I would choose to show someone who questioned why I love Diana. Not for the acting moments, but for her singing "Last Time" with just Floyd on the guitar, and then the break in "Reach Out and Touch" when the other Muppets start joining her onstage and she's just-a-singing. Good grief does the lady have a beautiful voice!

Sylvester has a version of "You Are My Friend" with the Weather Girls. He makes this statement about their singing, that they don't need the jewelry and clothes and hair, because they can flat out sing. I can't help but wonder if Diana would have fallen into Sylvester's list of singers who needed those things to be effective. I think some people do think that, and Diana is sometimes partly to blame for it. But the truth is that in my book, Diana could've been dressed like Moms Mabley without a musician in the house and only a microphone in her hand and she was genuinely an impressive singer. She does not get the praise for her voice that she deserves and no one will change my mind on that.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    This episode is one of the ones I would choose to show someone who questioned why I love Diana. Not for the acting moments, but for her singing "Last Time" with just Floyd on the guitar, and then the break in "Reach Out and Touch" when the other Muppets start joining her onstage and she's just-a-singing. Good grief does the lady have a beautiful voice!

Sylvester has a version of "You Are My Friend" with the Weather Girls. He makes this statement about their singing, that they don't need the jewelry and clothes and hair, because they can flat out sing. I can't help but wonder if Diana would have fallen into Sylvester's list of singers who needed those things to be effective. I think some people do think that, and Diana is sometimes partly to blame for it. But the truth is that in my book, Diana could've been dressed like Moms Mabley without a musician in the house and only a microphone in her hand and she was genuinely an impressive singer. She does not get the praise for her voice that she deserves and no one will change my mind on that.
    i think the reason of the glamour side of DR and of the Sups is because that was an inherent part of who each of them was. mary i think had said that when there were young girls and making those dresses and buying those Woolworth's pearls, she felt every bit as glamorous as she did later dripping in diamonds and Bob Mackie. the girls had a level of sophistication at ages 17 and all that was truly different from the Marvelettes, martha, etc.

if Diana had never gone into show business, she would have gone into the fashion industry. maybe as a model, maybe as a high-end designer, maybe as a career in a company in NYC.

so the whole aspect of her amazing clothes and sequins and all wasn't a foil to make up for lack of singing. it was just part of the core of diana and therefore whether it was diana the singer, diana the housewife, diana the mid-management employee working for a dept store like Hudson's or Macy's, there would have been a glamour component

At least since Baby Love Diana's voice has been sophisticated.
    Her way of being is sophisticated, the feelings she expresses are just as sophisticated. Glamor is an integral part of her personality and if she didn't have it, it wouldn't be Diana anymore.

Even with her dripping makeup and wig, no lights and no musicians, she was the epitome of glamour and gave one of the most sincere performances of her life.

And the next day, with makeup, wig, lights and musicians she was the same Diana giving one of the most unbearable performances of her career.

She is in a class by herself

i think the reason of the glamour side of DR and of the Sups is because that was an inherent part of who each of them was. mary i think had said that when there were young girls and making those dresses and buying those Woolworth's pearls, she felt every bit as glamorous as she did later dripping in diamonds and Bob Mackie. the girls had a level of sophistication at ages 17 and all that was truly different from the Marvelettes, martha, etc.

if Diana had never gone into show business, she would have gone into the fashion industry. maybe as a model, maybe as a high-end designer, maybe as a career in a company in NYC.

so the whole aspect of her amazing clothes and sequins and all wasn't a foil to make up for lack of singing. it was just part of the core of diana and therefore whether it was diana the singer, diana the housewife, diana the mid-management employee working for a dept store like Hudson's or Macy's, there would have been a glamour component
    No question. But Diana didn't need glitz and glamour to be a great entertainer. She had the goods in her voice. So if she walked onto a stage in jeans and t shirt, sat on a stool and sang "Touch Me In the Morning" or "A Simple Thing Like Cry", I think she was capable of captivating as many people as she did when she's being DIANA ROSS. A lot of the artists over the last 20 or so years have all these dancers and pyrotechnics and everything is just big and over the top, and IMO it's often because if you took those things away you're left with someone that really doesn't have any talent at all, or even if they are talented, they lack the charisma and stage presence necessary to captivate on their own. That wasn't Diana, but I think because she did get to a point where she relied on all the extras, it was easy for people to forget that they were witnesses one of the greatest voices of our time.

I imagine one of the reasons why she did The Muppet Show was to please her daughters. So that may be why she wasn't focused on promoting her latest product but to perform and have fun and please her daughters and by extension all the children and families who would watch the show.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    No question. But Diana didn't need glitz and glamour to be a great entertainer. She had the goods in her voice. So if she walked onto a stage in jeans and t shirt, sat on a stool and sang "Touch Me In the Morning" or "A Simple Thing Like Cry", I think she was capable of captivating as many people as she did when she's being DIANA ROSS. A lot of the artists over the last 20 or so years have all these dancers and pyrotechnics and everything is just big and over the top, and IMO it's often because if you took those things away you're left with someone that really doesn't have any talent at all, or even if they are talented, they lack the charisma and stage presence necessary to captivate on their own. That wasn't Diana, but I think because she did get to a point where she relied on all the extras, it was easy for people to forget that they were witnesses one of the greatest voices of our time.
    true she didn't need it. and the proof is the strength of her sales from albums that are remarkably NOT all stereotypical glamorour

diana 80. slicked hair, a white t, jeans.

DR76 is another interesting one. its amazing glam but no sparkle. no jewelry, no gowns. just the stunning glamorous high fashion look of her face

The Boss - wildly sophisticated but she's in a simple blouse that's tied and skirt.

DR70 - her debut album cover! good heavens

then there's WO - eek lol

It was nice having a combination of the two. I loved the minimal makeup, jeans and T-shirt look of “diana”, but also the glam and simple chic she displayed when promoting the “Take Me Higher” album.
    Never was overly keen on the very heavy makeup, long hair, sparkly dress look. She didn’t need it.

Good Lord, the woman opens her mouth to sing, and easily and instantly out comes the most beautiful sounds. This truly amazes me.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 04-01-2023 at 05:45 PM.

She really had fun doing these songs. Crowd pleasing songs. Love them all!

Similarly, during the AMA, she opened the show with "Eaten Alive" when it was already a 6-month-old flop, and the following year "Touch by Touch" out of necessity to do it.

So, it's very likely that Diana has cravings that have nothing to do with record sales and promotion.

Similarly, during the AMA, she opened the show with "Eaten Alive" when it was already a 6-month-old flop, and the following year "Touch by Touch" out of necessity to do it.

So, it's very likely that Diana has cravings that have nothing to do with record sales and promotion.
    Or she didn't want to be bothered to learn to take the time to learn, rehearse, and perform a new number.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Or she didn't want to be bothered to learn to take the time to learn, rehearse, and perform a new number.
    In defense of selecting Touch By Touch, there wasn’t a new number to promote in January of 1987. Beyond this, it was quite an entertaining performance and show opener!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    In defense of selecting Touch By Touch, there wasn’t a new number to promote in January of 1987. Beyond this, it was quite an entertaining performance and show opener!
    the RHRAB album and tv show released in May 87. Dirty Looks was released in April. sort of a shame Dirty wasn't ready in time for this awards show. DL was a pretty strong song and this type of national performance could have helped it.

it is odd that more than 18 months had passed between the release of EA and RHRAB. be interesting to hear if anyone knows what all was going on behind the scenes. i know by this time her relationship with RCA was essentially over. but she still had a commitment to release another album. maybe she didn't want to invest in another since she knew she was doing the tv special and could just pass off a soundtrack as her final lp.

the RHRAB album and tv show released in May 87. Dirty Looks was released in April. sort of a shame Dirty wasn't ready in time for this awards show. DL was a pretty strong song and this type of national performance could have helped it.

it is odd that more than 18 months had passed between the release of EA and RHRAB. be interesting to hear if anyone knows what all was going on behind the scenes. i know by this time her relationship with RCA was essentially over. but she still had a commitment to release another album. maybe she didn't want to invest in another since she knew she was doing the tv special and could just pass off a soundtrack as her final lp.
    She had also gotten married and was expecting her first son. And then in very little time, she became pregnant again.
    Last edited by reese; 04-03-2023 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    She had also gotten married and was expecting her first son. And then in very little time, she became pregnant again.
    i knew she got married but when did the first boy appear? i thought it was AFTER she left RCA. in the gap between Red Hot and Workin

i knew she got married but when did the first boy appear? i thought it was AFTER she left RCA. in the gap between Red Hot and Workin
    Ross was born in October of 1987. So she was probably pregnant for a good part of the time she was working on RHRAB. Evan followed in August of 1988.

In addition to the above, there was also the never-released Harold Arlen album which was recorded between EA and RHRAB.
    Last edited by reese; 04-04-2023 at 10:22 AM.

Ross was born in October of 1987. So she was probably pregnant for a good part of the time she was working on RHRAB. Evan followed in August of 1988.

In addition to the above, there was also the never-released Harold Arlen album which was recorded between EA and RHRAB.
    i knew about the Arlen album but wasn't sure of its timing. i thought it was a little earlier - perhaps between SA and EA.

wonder if there was any real work after EA? she would have continued to have received songs and submissions from writers and producers. was she already thinking "i'm out of here" with the failure of the EA set [[at least in the US)? was she looking at another producer or two to explore options with but those didn't really materialize? was the canning of the Arlen album the inspiration for doing RHRAB tv special and the retrospective approach?

i knew about the Arlen album but wasn't sure of its timing. i thought it was a little earlier - perhaps between SA and EA.

wonder if there was any real work after EA? she would have continued to have received songs and submissions from writers and producers. was she already thinking "i'm out of here" with the failure of the EA set [[at least in the US)? was she looking at another producer or two to explore options with but those didn't really materialize? was the canning of the Arlen album the inspiration for doing RHRAB tv special and the retrospective approach?
    In the notes for the recent cd reissue of RHRAB, it says the Arlen album was recorded in 1986. Joseph Joubert mentioned that he had done an arrangement for OVER THE RAINBOW and his work on that led to him doing arrangements for RHRAB.

Maybe the relative failure of EA [in the US] led Diana to believe that it was the wrong time for the Arlen project. Besides Pia Zadora's album with the London Philharmonic, and Linda Ronstadt's albums with Nelson Riddle, I don't think the wave of standard albums had really begun yet. I should add Babs' THE BROADWAY ALBUM to the list as well. Maybe Diana didn't want to be seen as a copycat.
    Last edited by reese; 04-04-2023 at 12:42 PM.

In the notes for the recent cd reissue of RHRAB, it says the Arlen album was recorded in 1986. Joseph Joubert mentioned that he had done an arrangement for OVER THE RAINBOW and his work on that led to him doing arrangements for RHRAB.

Maybe the relative failure of EA [in the US] led Diana to believe that it was the wrong time for the Arlen project. Besides Pia Zadora's album with the London Philharmonic, and Linda Ronstadt's albums with Nelson Riddle, I don't think the wave of standard albums had really begun yet. I should add Babs' THE BROADWAY ALBUM to the list as well. Maybe Diana didn't want to be seen as a copycat.
    well and she was still valiantly trying to hold onto a big pop career. Babs had always been sort of in/sort of out of the overall pop market. DR was definitely still trying to hit it big on billboard top 40 and a standards album certainly wouldn't do that.