[REMOVE ADS]

Ohio lawmakers vote to allow guns in bars

How stupid is this?

COLUMBUS, Ohio- Ohio lawmakers have passed a proposal to allow people with concealed-carry permits to take firearms into facilities where alcohol is served as long as they don't drink.

Both the Republican led House and Senate voted in favor of this change.

Governor Kasich is also in support of the idea although he has said he wants to see the final details before deciding whether to sign it.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/14920331/o...w-guns-in-bars

Well then ..

Presumably "as long as they don't drink" means "as long as they don't drink alcoholic beverages", so if I ever happen to be in Ohio I shall have to watch out for what people are drinking and be careful what I say to people who seem a bit too sober!!

Roger

what is the benefit of doing this?

barman.what yer havin?

me.colt 45 please

barman.we aint got that

me.give me a luger and lime then!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    dont even ask for a couple of shots of red eye!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i walked in a bar,i was carrying some jumper leads.

the barman said shouted across "i hope you aint gonna start anything in here"
    Last edited by tamla617; 06-16-2011 at 05:26 PM.

OK so instead of having binge drinking, presumably Ohio will have binge shooting as well. Aren't the bar owners worried it will frighten away the drinkers & thus hit profits. Although why anyone would want to take a gun into a bar concealed or otherwise is beyond me.

As a Ohioan, this law is ridiculous. I'm a firm believer in the right to bare arms, but only in the strictest sense. I think people have the right to have guns in their houses and use them when necessary [[Castle Law, which I support), but not carry them into public. If I'm not carrying a gun, no one should be carrying a gun [[except police, etc.) Simple as that. This whole gun-bar issue smells like trouble....

My mother called me from Ohio with this story and my first thought was......this is the dumbest thing I have heard of in a long time! It is a known fact that the most violent, biggest shoot out in a bar in recent history occurred in Toledo, Ohio just 2 years ago! Oh sure, alcohol and firearms are a great mix! I think they are looking to build more prisons behind this new law.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Well then ..

Presumably "as long as they don't drink" means "as long as they don't drink alcoholic beverages", so if I ever happen to be in Ohio I shall have to watch out for what people are drinking and be careful what I say to people who seem a bit too sober!!

Roger
    The person carrying the gun is not suppose to drink. The other patrons that can drink [[and sometimes drink too much), will turn up as victims everytime....WATCH!

They've already done it here in Arizona. You don't even need a permit to carry a concealed weapon here. Establishments are still able to override the law if they desire.

I am happy to report that there have been no incidents that I am aware of concerning a shooting in a bar since it became law.

It is quite common to see people carry guns in this state. I am used to it.

However, all that sounds good and fuzzy, but make no mistake, most of these gun-totin' varmints tend to be right-wingers who tend to listen to right-wing alarmists. Some of them have fantasies and wanna be a hero and get the bad guy, and more than a few of them are paranoid and are just itchin' to get them a Muslim, or a street thug [[Black male).

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    They've already done it here in Arizona. You don't even need a permit to carry a concealed weapon here. Establishments are still able to override the law if they desire.

I am happy to report that there have been no incidents that I am aware of concerning a shooting in a bar since it became law.

It is quite common to see people carry guns in this state. I am used to it.

However, all that sounds good and fuzzy, but make no mistake, most of these gun-totin' varmints tend to be right-wingers who tend to listen to right-wing alarmists. Some of them have fantasies and wanna be a hero and get the bad guy, and more than a few of them are paranoid and are just itchin' to get them a Muslim, or a street thug [[Black male).
    Isn't that the State where Congresswoman Gabby Gifford and five shot earlier this year?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Isn't that the State where Congresswoman Gabby Gifford and five shot earlier this year?
    Yes, it is. And, you know what, it was so easy for him to get a gun here, but even if all the gun restrictions would have been in place, he still could have done the same thing.

Yes, it is. And, you know what, it was so easy for him to get a gun here, but even if all the gun restrictions would have been in place, he still could have done the same thing.
    I hear you! This is the problem. We have greater access to legal and illegal firearms in the U.S. than probably any other Western Country and it is a direct correlation to our crimes committed using a handgun and the murder rate.

marv
    i wouldnt bet on it.
    all the people that need guns.drug dealers,yardies [[west indies origin) east europeans we got 'em all here,we'll take anyone.
    taliban day trip/political asylum all got 'em with the pyrotechnic waistcoats.
    i watched a documentery last week a 14 year old had a mach 10[[a real room emptier), revolver and a ak47![[no rounds for the ak thank god) all in his "badroom" next to his xbox 360 and his parents 4 passports.thats 2 each,normal!come on in
    Last edited by tamla617; 06-17-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Next time you see one of those "God & guns, fear Obama" people, ask them why, if they trust in the Lord so much, why they are so fearful of everything.

soulster................................... spot on,
    i've met so many born agains that should wear wing mirrors.it would stop 'em worrying about their 6 o'clock.
    Last edited by tamla617; 06-17-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    soulster................................... spot on,
    i've met so many born agains that should wear wing mirrors.it would stop 'em worrying about their 6 o'clock.
    Uh...you lost me. Sounds to English. can you translate?

marv
    i wouldnt bet on it.
    all the people that need guns.drug dealers,yardies [[west indies origin) east europeans we got 'em all here,we'll take anyone.
    taliban day trip/political asylum all got 'em with the pyrotechnic waistcoats.
    i watched a documentery last week a 14 year old had a mach 10[[a real room emptier), revolver and a ak47![[no rounds for the ak thank god) all in his "badroom" next to his xbox 360 and his parents 4 passports.thats 2 each,normal!come on in
    Tamla, I can appreciate that there is crime in the U.K., but have you all had any Urban areas where the annual murder rate has reached 500-600 people? Detroit at the height of it's roughest years in the late 70's were averaging 700-750 murders a year!

Next time you see one of those "God & guns, fear Obama" people, ask them why, if they trust in the Lord so much, why they are so fearful of everything.
    They are the most frighten people on the Planet!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They are the most frighten people on the Planet!
    Yeah. They can't live without their guns and cling to the Second Amendment, even though they are probably all misinterpreting it.

marv
    there 600 murders a year here about 1% of the pop@60 million.that would equate to 25,000 in usa @pop250 million ish.
    link below gives a city by city,crime by crime per head of capita.cant find a murder figure for the usa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate
    Last edited by tamla617; 06-18-2011 at 02:28 PM.

marv
    there 600 murders a year here about 1% of the pop@60 million.that would equate to 25,000 in usa @pop250 million ish.
    link below gives a city by city,crime by crime per head of capita.cant find a murder figure for the usa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate
    There is something wrong with your mathematics here Mr Tamla617. Assuming there are 600 murders per year in the U.K. [[ population 60million ), that would equate to about 2,500 in a country with a population of 250million.

My understanding is that the population of the U.S. is now slightly above 300million, so a U.K. figure of 600 murders per year would be equivelent to about 3000 per year in the U.S. About an eighth of the figure you quote.

Roger

roger
    its all zero's,mill yons of 'em.i'm always confused about nothin'.i went for a phd at uni but i couldnt spell that on the application form.it should've been .001%

but its not as bad as the calculator followed by my mk 1 eyeball had me believe!

but ive just read there was just over 18,000 homicides in 2008 [[i did a zero count rog.) all types firearms,knives etc. link below.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm
    Last edited by tamla617; 06-19-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: zero miscount,decimal point reposition,and get my homework marked