[REMOVE ADS]

I Hear A Symphony Medley: premiering on Ed Sullivan Official YouTube

The Supremes' performance of the I Hear A Symphony medley is premiering tomorrow evening on the official Ed Sullivan YouTube channel. Looking forward to finally seeing this performance in clear quality.

https://youtu.be/CcQ4ePbJLjk

Last edited by carlo; 02-25-2023 at 12:31 PM.

I hope it is the whole thing. When they aired the show in syndication, some of the songs were edited out. But I think their YouTube channel has been including mostly full performances.

Hey Reese, it seems that the Ed Sullivan YouTube channel cut off the performance and didn't include "Without A Song". Lame! I've noticed they've been chopping up a lot of the medleys for other acts and then eventually posting the entire medley... maybe to increase their views on videos? Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Hey Reese, it seems that the Ed Sullivan YouTube channel cut off the performance and didn't include "Without A Song". Lame! I've noticed they've been chopping up a lot of the medleys for other acts and then eventually posting the entire medley... maybe to increase their views on videos? Sigh.
    After I posted, I visited the site and noticed they only listed three songs of the medley so I figured that I was right. But I hoped I was wrong.

I have seen the chopping up. There was a Pips clip that was only a short bit of HEY JUDE but then they posted the entire performance of HEY JUDE along with GRAPEVINE. Maybe they'll do the same with this one.
    Last edited by reese; 02-26-2023 at 09:33 PM.

Gets no better than "Everything Is Good About You" still my #1 requested Supremes song in 30 years of doing radio. "There's No Stopping Us Now" is a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    Gets no better than "Everything Is Good About You" still my #1 requested Supremes song in 30 years of doing radio. "There's No Stopping Us Now" is a close second.
    Wow. Very interesting. Love both songs.

by this time the Symphony medley was in their live act. but it included Unchained Melody. for the tv performance, i think they opted to swap out UM for Everything is Good About You. it fits marvelously with the rest of the songs other than it wouldn't have the recognition of UM. for the TOTT album they also cut UM. Also they start with Symphony here and the live version on stage didn't

what's truly odd though is that they've been shortening this medley in these clips for years now. and it still is. Without A Song was supposed to be the final number. but they keep editing it out for some reason. it can't be because of royalties, given the age of that song

What a pity, Without A Song is my favorite part of the medley. A medley I think stayed in the act way too long lol.

I take it that between You Can't Hurry Love, where Diana's earring fell off and she caught it without a hitch, and this medley, the errant earring was handed to a stage hand along with Mary and Flo's tambourines?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I take it that between You Can't Hurry Love, where Diana's earring fell off and she caught it without a hitch, and this medley, the errant earring was handed to a stage hand along with Mary and Flo's tambourines?
    if you look closely at the bows at the end of YCHL, Diana tosses the misbehaving earring off to stage left lol

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    wow ,thx 4 sharing. any requests 4 Going Down for Third Time.....my fav

These are 2 of my favorite songs by Diana Ross and The Supremes. "EIGAY" and "TNSUN" are both awesome."TNSUN", even with the horn blimp rocks."TNSUN" is my nametag. ha! ha! Always wondered if this audio error was the reason it was not released as a song single. Was the album cut done on just a few takes? Thanks.
    Last edited by TNSUN; 03-02-2023 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    These are 2 of my favorite songs by Diana Ross and The Supremes. "EIGAY" and "TNSUN" are both awesome."TNSUN", even with the horn blimp rocks."TNSUN" is my nametag. ha! ha! Always wondered if this audio error was the reason it was not released as a song single. Was the album cut done on just a few takes? Thanks.
    That lttle horn thing always irks me when I play that record but no matter. It is a great recording nonetheless.

I doubt that is the reason why it wasn't a single. By then, they had the technology to edit that mistake out if they really cared about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I had wondered what your username stood for TNSUN!!! It's a great one too.

Have you heard Tina Charles' version? Very nice stuff...