[REMOVE ADS]

A Manhattan Penthouse?

On Facebook, I was reading an article "Milestones: Florence Ballard" which, in my opinion, was a pretty thorough, yet brief, insight into Flo's early life up until her death.

One line; however, caught my eye "With no royalties coming, Florence was forced out of her Manhattan penthouse just as she gave birth to twins..."

I had always believed she had always lived in Detroit. Did her husband, Tommy Chapman, move her to New York after her exit from the Supremes?

One more thing. The article, in reference to the Primettes/Supremes' early days, made reference to 'Diane Earle' who later "morphed into Diane Ross." Again, I was familiar with the name "Ernestine"; however, not with "Earle." And I didn't know Mary Wilson paid for Florence's funeral...at least that's what the article said.

According to Tony Turner, once Flo signed with ABC, she and Tommy moved to NYC and took an apartment when the recording sessions began. This must have been sometime around March 1968 as he remembers going over to Flo's place to watch the group's FOREVER CAME TODAY appearance on Ed Sullivan.

I've also seen the "Earle" thing, usually in writings from Europe. I've always assumed it was incorrect.

Re Flo's funeral, according to Jet magazine, Motown paid for it.
    Last edited by reese; 02-23-2023 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    According to Tony Turner, once Flo signed with ABC, she and Tommy moved to NYC and took an apartment when the recording sessions began. This must have been sometime around March 1968 as he remembers going over to Flo's place to watch the group's FOREVER CAME TODAY appearance on Ed Sullivan.

I've also seen the "Earle" thing, usually in writings from Europe. I've always assumed it was incorrect.

Re Flo's funeral, according to Jet magazine, Motown paid for it.
    Thanks, Reese. I pulled out Turner's book "All That Glittered" which I haven't looked at since the early 90s and I do see that he mentions Tommy and Florence's apartment/ penthouse located on Sutton Place. Turner's description of the place was that it was indeed lavish. I just researched that it is indeed in Manhattan.
    Last edited by jobucats; 02-24-2023 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    On Facebook, I was reading an article "Milestones: Florence Ballard" which, in my opinion, was a pretty thorough, yet brief, insight into Flo's early life up until her death.

One line; however, caught my eye "With no royalties coming, Florence was forced out of her Manhattan penthouse just as she gave birth to twins..."

I had always believed she had always lived in Detroit. Did her husband, Tommy Chapman, move her to New York after her exit from the Supremes?

One more thing. The article, in reference to the Primettes/Supremes' early days, made reference to 'Diane Earle' who later "morphed into Diane Ross." Again, I was familiar with the name "Ernestine"; however, not with "Earle." And I didn't know Mary Wilson paid for Florence's funeral...at least that's what the article said.
    i believe motown paid for the funeral

There are photos of Flo and Tommy inside and outside the penthouse, from an article on Florence, I think in Ebony.