[REMOVE ADS]

The Marvelettes "In Full Bloom" revisited

So many Marvelettes fans over the years have professed undying love for this lp. Admittedly I didn't get the album until years after the group disbanded in one of those $1 out record bins. Upon first listen I didn't like the album, and over the years my opinion never changed.

Earlier this week I had a day off and had pulled out the Marvelettes box set. I decided to put on my headphones and listen to this entire lp from start to finish to see if my opinions have changed, because often in time, they do.

I wish I could say my opinion did change, but again the lp just seems sub-standard with no real direction. The only cuts worthy of listening to more than once is Seeing Is Believing and the glorious Clay McMurray-produced That's How Heartaches Are Made. Motown really dropped the ball on that one.

From the liner notes I see that the cuts on this lp were mostly meant for other artists. Some for Ross, some for Jimmy Ruffin, etc, and on Side B there are tracks dating back to the mid 60s where Benny Benjamin is audible. From the rather cheap packaging of the album [[especially the backside) it is obvious to me that this was a contract breaker for Motown. Wanda was in the throes of deep mental illness and the group just couldn't be counted on, and on some cuts she seems a bit shrill. I think by the time this lp was issued, in the fall of 1969, any bookings the group had were around Detroit. In fact, I didn't even know this lp was issued in 1969 as Motown gave it no promotion or distribution. Same was true of Martha's Sugar n Spice lp. They were released around the same time and just sort of thrown out there.

The main takeaway I get from In Full Bloom was the Marvelettes were finished.

I know I'll get attacked by die-hard fans, and I love the Marvelettes. The two lps prior to In Full Bloom I never tire of and I think the Return of the Marvelettes is another lost gem. But this lp just wreaks of filler tracks rejected by other artists. It was an unworthy release and didn't serve the group or Motown well.

I don't think I've listened to this album in its entirety since Marc Taylor's book on the Marvelettes was published or maybe when the FOREVER MORE collection was released..

For me, the group hit their peak with the pink album and SOPHISTICATED SOUL. IN FULL BLOOM was never one of my favorites although I do like SEEING IS BELIEVING, I HAVE SOMEONE [WHO LOVES ME TOO] and my absolute favorite THAT'S HOW HEARTACHES ARE MADE.

I've always loved this album. That's How Heartaches Are Made is also my top favourite. Going through the tracklist, I don't think there's a single song on it that I don't like. I also love Sunshine Days, The Truth's Outside My Door and Everybody Knows [great lead vocal from Ann Bogan on that one]. Love the additional support provided by The Andantes throughout this album. The cover is beautiful too.

I’ve listened to this album a couple of times after hearing other members’ positive comments, and I have to say, much like you Bayou, I can't quite get into it. Certainly not bad, but nothing in particular stood out to me.

I can't really remember any of the tracks other than "That's How Heartaches Are Made", which is nice, but even that’s not necessarily amongst my favourite Marvelettes tracks. I’m more partial even to The Return Of The Marvelettes, with its more uptempo, full-on production style.

I should give it another listen and try and get into it again!

when "Thats How Heartaches Are Made" was released as a single there was an article in BILLBOARD Magazine and Barney Ales said Motown was really going to promote this great record....as we know that did not happen. I LOVE the Marvelettes & bought "In Full Bloom" upon its release. I already had the 45 of "Heartaches", yes besides Seeing & Uptown it was a disappointment. Now Marthas Sugar & Spice is a GREAT LP.I liked Uptown because I knew it was Wanda, Kat & Ann on there.

I like "In Full Bloom," but they missed some excellent new songs. I made my own "In Full Bloom" playlist that may have been more contemporary.

1. Seeing Is Believing
    2. Sunshine Days
    3. Breakthru [I've Got My Freedom]
    4. That's How Heartaches Are Made
    5. The Truth's Outside My Door
    6. Uptown
    7. Love Is Good
    8. Now Is The Time For Love
    9. Everybody Knows [But You]
    10. I Can't Wait Till Summer Comes
    11. Love Silent, Love Deep
    12. Caught You Puttin' The Game On Love

Best Motown album ever is all I need to say about it. If you don't like it fine as we can't all like the same thing.

I just thought that That's How Heartaches Are Made which was released and successful by Baby Washington in 1963 was one of Jeanette's better releases. Often time when a song is rereleased by another artist later in the game that unless it is superior to the other most people would avoid buying it. Baby's release was Sue 783. If you are able give a listen to her version.

I love the album. My only criticism of it is that some of the songs tend to sound alike. I was surprised when I learned much of the material had been in the can a while because it has kind of a “one note“ feel to it. It’s definitely the most cohesive of all the Marvelettes albums.

I think most of the songs are beautiful and Wanda sounds great on it. I think it got decent reviews too. there was a fellow who used to publish books such as the best albums of the 1970s, 1960s, etc., And he particularly singled out this album in his 60s edition saying something like for once the hype on the album cover was actually true. The girls were really in their prime on this one. I’m not always in the mood for the album because it does tend to be more like a mood piece, than it is different songs with different vibes, but overall I think it’s a great album and I’ve come to really love it.
    Last edited by kenneth; 02-23-2023 at 05:43 PM.

Yes I love the album too - there are some true classics on here for me - and most of the songs are beautiful.

"Seeing Is Believing" - I love this one and the gentle strain in Wanda's voice in parts.
    "That's How Heartaches Are Made" is an absolute classic - best version of this song I think.
    "The Truth's Outside Your Door" is a great song by Janie Bradford and Raynard Miner. "Now Is The Time For Love" is a charming song - typical Dean, Weatherspoon tune and even Paul Petersen's pale version still has charm.
    The only disappointment is "Uptown" which could never eclipse The Crystals for me.

Hell no, The Crystals OWN "Uptown" I just meant I liked the fact it was the Marvelettes on it. I like "In Full Bloom" it just doesn't come close to the Pink LP or "Sophisticated Soul".IMHO.

My God I LOVE that there's a serious discussion about this album. I actually even like that there are disagreements /differences of opinion about it amongst everyone. I guess in this case I appreciate it if not everyone feels the same because it shows the album is taken seriously - one way or the other. It's wonderful whenever these threads come up on the Marvelettes.

you know back then I knew NOTHING about Wandas' personal problems, so I just could not understand why, Motown would give such a serious interview with BILLBOARD[[the record industry Bible) about really getting behind & promoting "Thats How Heartaches Are Made"& then it barely scraping the bottom of the HOT100 & not much better on the Soul Charts.

it didn't even make the Billboard SOUL Charts. The Baby Washington original made #10 Soul, #40 HOT100.in 1963.

While not on the same level as Pink Album or Sophisticated Soul, I think In Full Bloom is a solid effort. My favorites are:

Seeing is Believing
    Sunshine Days
    That's How Heartaches are Made
    Rainy Mourning
    Everybody Knows But You
    Too Many Tears, Too Many Times

I love The Marvelettes' "In Full Bloom" for both its musical content AND the front-cover photo. [[With that wig, I can't help but think how much Wanda looks like Diana, and I mean that as a totally-sincere compliment.)

My favorite tracks are Seeing Is Believing, Sunshine Days, That's How Heartaches Are Made, I Have Someone Who Loves Me, Too; At Last I See Love As It Really Is, Now Is The Time For Love, Too Many Tears, Too Many Times; Everybody Knows But You, and Love Silent, Love Deep.

I think the pairing of Wanda and The Andantes with Dean & Weatherspoon's songwriting & production style was brilliant. I wish we had been given another album's worth in the same vein.

I remember how desperately I wanted Motown to give "In Full Bloom" a CD release. It took a while -- and a LOT of begging! -- but our wish was finally granted!

Interesting thread. I will begin my comment by stating what I think is a pretty universal opinion............that the Pink album was The Marvelettes' best ever.

Then since they still had a hit single or two in them [[My Baby Must Be a Magician for example), Sophisticated Soul was also a strong album. Was Pink definitely better or was it a close race? Pretty close for me.

Next up of course was In Full Bloom and to give Motown full credit, at least the girls were getting an album per year. At the time I knew nothing about Wanda's personal issues so I was thrilled to have another album from them, especially since Sugar n Spice came out at roughly the same time and for me, it is one of Martha's top three albums of all time. But that is off topic.

OK, drum roll here..........I actually LOVED In Full Bloom at the time and still do. I found it to be full of great songs, and for me, Love Silent Love Deep is the highlight track, mainly because it was so different. But I liked several others also. I did pick up at the time that no hits came from the album but that did not change my opinion of it. And I thought the cover was spectacular.

So for me, IFB was perhaps a slight step down from its two predecessors but not by much. Therefore.......second drum roll.........Return was the disappointing album for me. First of all, why repeat tracks from In Full Bloom? As for new songs, the only ones on Return that I actually enjoyed were Our Lips and Fading Away.

So to summarize, Pink was the apex of their career for me and each succeeding album was a little bit less so. As for the earlier ones before the Greatest Hits album, I am not a fan of any of those because they sounded SOOOO immature. It was not until Wanda channeled her inner sexiness that they came into their own.

I have to agree with the general sentiments here [and respect that others just aren't as impressed with this album]. Years ago when I came across a vinyl copy of "In Full Bloom," I was so excited because it had some good songs on the album--and was considered pretty rare! [Oh, those long-ago days of going to record shows on Sunday mornings and flipping through box after box--stall after stall--to see what Motown goodies you might find!]

I think they missed releasing a single before THHAM--and that would be "Sunshine Days" b/w "I Have Someone [[Who Loves Me Too)." I would *love* to hear a mono single remix of SD *and* the deliciously moody IHSWLMT! In the stereo album version, you hear those horns going in the background, the sitar-like guitar [very "1969 Motown"!], and of course, Wanda's great vocal delivery with The Andantes! I'd bring up those horns a bit more and you could imagine the sitar-guitar would be a little more prominent in a mono mix. It's danceable and has a pretty good hook. Looking at their discography, the Marvelettes went without a single from December 1968 to September 1969. "Sunshine Days" was finished in March '69, so it could've been mixed and released as a single by April 1969. That wouldn't have been rushing "I'm Gonna Hold On As Long As I Can" [which, sadly, flopped] and would've buffered the release schedule before THHAM in September '69.

I'm sure the biggest issue as to why the company wasn't rushing out singles was because of the personal issues suffered by Wanda during that time. I suppose if your singer is otherwise "occupied," it's hard to promote a release.

I think the general consensus is that the Pink album was their best album... followed by Sophisticated Soul and then In Full Bloom. I do like some songs on Return Of The Marvelettes, but... it's not as good as the prior three albums.

^^^ I agree that "Sunshine Days" should have been a single.
    I actually like "In Full Bloom" better than "Sophisticated Soul". Wanda's voice is so evocative and gets me like never before.

Outside of "That's How Heartaches Are Made", I'm not a fan of The Marvelettes' In Full Bloom LP. As bayoumotownman pointed out in his post, there were a lot of songs that originally slated for other artists, and Wanda Rogers was dealing from mental illness [and wasn't able to promote the LP or it's single].

"Songs slated for other artists": I'm not sure that's such a big thing here. You could literally go through any and just about all of Motown's 60s albums and find songs that were originally "slated for other artists." That's not really anything new so I don't think you can really use that against the "In Full Bloom" album...

"In Full Bloom" is an odd album for me. There is actually a sort of alchemy here, the albums sounds as if everything fits together as opposed to just tracks thrown together. What I also noticed here is that the majority of tracks were done by James Dean and William Weatherspoon, which would account for what others hear as a "one note" listening experience. I think Dean and Weatherspoon, along with Ivy Jo Hunter, were great for the Marvelettes; they were to the group what HDH was to the Supremes. The team [[and the writers that worked with them) crafted exquisite numbers that were well produced and fit the Marvelettes very well. Even if a number of the songs were originally destined for Diana Ross & The Supremes, no matter as Wanda was just as effective as singing good Pop songs as Diana. From this site alone, we've all come to recognize that songs were swapped around often. That doesn't make the final results any less effective.

Sure, a lot of the tracks were harvested from the Gladys Horton era. I can't really complain there because I was always partial to material from '64 to '67 anyway. So again, I can't count that against the album. Still, there has always been something that has kept me from enjoying the album as much as, let's all say it together: "The Pink Album." I don't know why I'm so stuck on that album, but it's just so damn good. "In Full Bloom," in it's way is good too, but, well, I wanna love it, i really want to love it and some days I do.

I'll say this about "In Full Bloom": it was one of Motown's better albums of the 60s. The packaging is excellent. That photo beats out many of Motown's other late-60s LP jackets. I've read how some view this as being released just because Motown had a contractual obligation to do so. OK, what if that was true? Heck, I know TONS of Motown artists who would have LOVED to have had a "contractual obligation" released that looked this good and with some fairly solid material. I'm actually impressed that in this era, Motown would have given the group a release with such care in the presentation. By this time, how many other girl groups were releasing albums that anyone even noticed? Many of the girl groups who started out in the early or mid sixties had pretty much become invisible by this time. I'm sure someone will talk about such-and-such an album or record, but how many years exposure and popularity did it get them? Motown did a phenomenal job of keeping its girl groups on the charts and that included the Marvelettes. Most other record companies wouldn't even guarantee more than a single 45 or maybe one album for girl groups by the mid-to-late sixties.

So while there might be some deficits abut "In Full Bloom" there are a lot more pluses, especially for a group that had basically splintered and evaporated by this time.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 02-25-2023 at 10:21 PM.