[REMOVE ADS]

Stephanie M Stung By the Beyhive For Loving Diana

https://thatgrapejuice.net/2023/02/b...y-hip-hop/?amp

You gotta love some of what Stephanie has to say

This beef is getting too complicated for me to understand

#Beyhive STILL Stinging Stephanie Mills For Saying Beyonce & Diana Ross Can’t Be Compared: “Diana is Class…Bey is Hip-Hop”
    Published: Wednesday 22nd Feb 2023 by Rashad

‘Something in the Way You Make Me Feel’ hitmaker Stephanie Mills has a few critics feeling a way after a recent interview saw her weigh in on comparisons of Beyonce and legendary diva Diana Ross.

Look inside to see what she said that has had Bey’s beloved fans [[affectionately called “the Beyhive”) swarming for days.

Stephanie – an R&B icon whose pristine voice and unforgettable hits [[‘I’ve Learned To Respect the Power of Love,’ ‘Home,’ ‘Never Knew Love Like This,’ and many more) has often seen her in mention with some of the greatest vocalists of all time – recently took to VLADTV to dish on her legendary career and industry hot topics.

Longtime fans of the diva know she got her big break as ‘Dorothy’ in the TONY Award-winning, 1975 Broadway musical ‘The Wiz,’ but was replaced by Ross for its film adaptation.

As Stephanie was being quizzed about her feelings over the ousting [[nearly 50 years later), the interviewer likened Diana to being “Beyonce before Beyonce.”

“I don’t think you can compare Beyonce to Diana Ross,” the 65-year-old interjected. “I consider Beyonce [to be] Hip-Hop, I consider Diana R&B and Pop. I consider Diana royalty.”
    Later in the interview, Mills doubled down on her perception.

“Diana is the epitome of beauty and class to me,” Stephanie said before sharing, “I see [Beyonce] more like Hip-Hop than anything. I still think she’s wonderful, don’t get me wrong. It’s just two different generations; it’s totally different to me.”
    Because mega-selling girl groups served as their respective launching pads before both catapulting to the height of stardom in music, film, and fashion, Beyonce has long been likened to Diana – a comparison the ‘Single Ladies’ singer’s fans took to Twitter to reiterate while wielding criticism against Mills for suggesting Bey was just ‘Hip-Hop’ [[which some argued inferred a deeper insult).

Sending her name to trending status days after the interview first surfaced, look below to see some of their commentary about Stephanie.

Ouch!

At writing, Mills has not responded to the hoopla.
    Last edited by jobeterob; 02-23-2023 at 02:21 PM.

https://thatgrapejuice.net/2023/02/s...ogize-for/?amp

Stephanie says she will not apologize

Why would she apologise? Liking Diana Ross over Beyonce? I do to

I look at her statement as similar to one can't compare Levi Stubbs with Pavarotti. Two outstanding performers; different 'vibes.' Compare Cher to Dolly Parton? Same generation; however, different 'vibes.' I consider Beyonce to be super talented and inventive; however, she's in a different league, to me, than Diana Ross.

If Stephanie apologizes I will lose all respect for her. She is entitled to her G.D. opinion. This cancel culture bullchit has got to end. It is ruining everything. It's getting so old.

Simply put:

Diana Ross is a piece of ice

Beyonce is a piece of ass.

Beyonce's super fans [the Beyhive] have always rabidly come to her defense, anytime someone questions their Queen B's talent, achievements, etc., etc. I agree that Beyonce is talented. I also think that she has not made the most of her singing talents, as she has leaned more into the hip-hop genre, in more recent years. That being said, I very much agree with Stephanie Mills. Beyonce is very different from Diana. Diana is indeed class and elegance. Having had the opportunity to see both of them in concert over the years, I feel that not only is Beyonce's style very different from Diana's, but she also does not have the same kind of stage presence that Diana has.

Having been to one of her shows in 2016, I can say that Beyonce is a ball of fiery energy on stage, but I felt that she fails to make a personal connection with her audiences, during her shows. It felt like a very well-rehearsed, very slick show, to the point of feeling robotic. You get that intense energy and showmanship from Beyonce, but you don't get the same authenticity from her that Diana possesses, in the way that she connects with her songs and audience.

In some ways, it's a generational thing. My younger generation seems to get bored easily and like that constant visual stimulation and excitement that a Beyonce show delivers. For me, it felt empty, without her having made that deeper connection with the audience. I still like a lot of Beyonce's music and there's no denying her talent, but I would have to agree that there's just no comparing her to Diana.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-25-2023 at 03:34 PM.

Having never seen Beyoncé the above post is informative

I enjoyed Stephanie’s interview; she has wisdom that comes with age and a presence and sense of herself.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Beyonce's super fans [the Beyhive] have always rabidly come to her defense, anytime someone questions their Queen B's talent, achievements, etc., etc. I agree that Beyonce is talented. I also think that she has not made the most of her singing talents, as she has leaned more into the hip-hop genre, in more recent years. That being said, I very much agree with Stephanie Mills. Beyonce is very different from Diana. Diana is indeed class and elegance. Having had the opportunity to see both of them in concert over the years, I feel that not only is Beyonce's style very different from Diana's, but she also does not have the same kind of stage presence that Diana has.

Having been to one of her shows in 2016, I can say that Beyonce is a ball of fiery energy on stage, but I felt that she fails to make a personal connection with her audiences, during her shows. It felt like a very well-rehearsed, very slick show, to the point of feeling robotic. You get that intense energy and showmanship from Beyonce, but you don't get the same authenticity from her that Diana possesses, in the way that she connects with her songs and audience.

In some ways, it's a generational thing. My younger generation seems to get bored easily and like that constant visual stimulation and excitement that a Beyonce show delivers. For me, it felt empty, without her having made that deeper connection with the audience. I still like a lot of Beyonce's music and there's no denying her talent, but I would have to agree that there's just no comparing her to Diana.
    I feel sure there are more then a few Beyonce fans who consider Diana just as lacking when seen in concert Carlo. It all boils down to what floats your personal boat. I myself being firmly rooted in the Diana camp.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I guess as a songstress, she is a phenomenal stylist interpreter of varied musical styles. Her version in concert of "Our Love is Here to Stay" makes me become the happiest person in the world!
    I missed out on that one being the last time she performed the song live was likely 49 years ago.
    I can’t say a little of Beyoncé’s variety and creatively wouldn't have been welcome these past 30 years. Having said that, there, will always be those who prefer to know exactly what their getting. In that respect M’s Ross has never failed to deliver.

The Beyhive make hard core Ross fanatics who think Ross is perfect and infallible and who fly off the handle at any criticism seem sane and well adjusted in comparison.

Perhaps caused by the age difference?

Are we really at a point in this country where a person can't even say two singers are "different" from each other without getting attacked by internet crazies? This is getting ridiculous. This is a dark road we are traveling...

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Simply put:

Diana Ross is a piece of ice

Beyonce is a piece of ass.

vomit time

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Are we really at a point in this country where a person can't even say two singers are "different" from each other without getting attacked by internet crazies? This is getting ridiculous. This is a dark road we are traveling...
    look how bent out of shape Queen Ree-Ree got when Beyoncé referred to Tina Turner as the queen, or a queen, or the queen of rock or whatever she said. She’s not allowed to have an opinion and she’s not allowed to come out anything but on top in anybody else’s opinion!

I know that she’s very talented and looks great and puts on a hell of a show, but I get absolutely nothing from her. And evidently there are fans of hers who got absolutely nothing from Miss Ross. It probably is generational. Show Jack Benny to someone who is 25 years old and watch their reaction. Popular culture shifts and emerges and morphs and moves on.

Sadly, we are. The i'net has brought out the worst in so, so many. So be it. Stay sane and well -

I agree completely, Peace.

I always loved Stephanie Mills, still do. I agree that you cannot compare the two singers as they excel in two different genres. Yes, the Beyhive is much like Mariah Carey's Lambs-they see everything as a slight, even when it is not meant to be one. The only comparison is that they both were in girl groups and then launched successful solo careers in singing and acting. Of course, I have seen many fans of The Supremes and Diana Ross go overboard but not quite in the manner of Beyhive. I remember on the old AOL boards, I commented once that I really preferred ballads sung by Mary Wilson over the ones by Diana Ross and you would have thought I killed someone. A few said, I don't agree with you but I respect what you said because it is your opinion and you have complimented Diana Ross many times. Of course, think about the back and forth we have had on this board. Why do you think we were put in a separate section? Of course even the different Supremes camps are very mild compared to the Beyhive. Sometimes you can't express a genuine personal opinion but then again some people go overboard with opinions. The internet age has made bullying something even more toxic because this generation only feels self worth over how many likes they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I feel sure there are more then a few Beyonce fans who consider Diana just as lacking when seen in concert Carlo. It all boils down to what floats your personal boat. I myself being firmly rooted in the Diana camp.
    Yes indeed, Ollie...if we did not have these unique tastes and perspectives, I suppose there would be no reason to have discussion forums like Soulful Detroit. To be clear, I did not walk away finding Beyonce's performance as inferior or lacking. I was not disappointed. I just felt it was very different, for the reasons I noted in my previous post. I did wish there was a bit more of the authenticity element, but that being said, she's a totally different artist and individual. Beyonce seems much more introverted, in my opinion, than Diana. I think Beyonce is much more guarded and closed off, when it comes to interacting with her fans, the media and the general public. I think that influences her stage persona and the way she navigates the world as an artist.

A lot of it does indeed boil down to generational differences and tastes. It reminds me of that part of Tony Turner's book, where he notes that he was watching The Supremes make their TV debut on Ed Sullivan and his grandmother was criticizing their spaghetti strap dresses.

Plot twist: Beyonce and Diana are both distant relatives.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MMQ9QF6BAgNEAQ

Jim--I agree with every word. I prefer Mary on ballads as well. Diana does the lighter, pop stuff better IMO. Mary and DR have completely different voices so naturally each excels at different material. I think DR excels on songs like Baby Love and Love Child, but I can't hear her pulling off You Danced My Heart Around the Stars. I don't see a problem with either scenario.

This is why Diana Ross is pure class ,Even today Diana Ross has a better voice than Beyoncé she is 10 percent of what Diana is , Diana solo is some of the most beautiful music out there , as per the supremes after Diana left I could not listen to it God knows I tried for me it’s !!!!! , and good for Stephanie for being a loyal fan , Trybouncie does not have the wow factor

Beyonce' is the heir apparent to Diana's crowd.

She also maintains her silence because of who she is which is wise but also drives her detractors wild, just like it did with Diana's.

Jobete--you are right. I work with 20 somethings and they say Beyonce is their Diana Ross. They literally say that. They say Beyonce has reached mythical status.

A lot of it does indeed boil down to generational differences and tastes. It reminds me of that part of Tony Turner's book, where he notes that he was watching The Supremes make their TV debut on Ed Sullivan and his grandmother was criticizing their spaghetti strap dresses.
    Translation: Tall Tales' grandmother was cooking spaghetti while they watched the Bill Dana Show in the same city as Ed Sullivan.

Diana Ross ballads vs Mary Wilson ballads...I don't think one was any better than the other once they matured. Mary's solo portion on "People" vs Diana's solo portion on "People, it's Mary hands down for me. She just fit right in there so perfectly in a way that I don't think Diana did. In fact, I've opined before that Mary doing "People" might have been a better fit than Florence doing it.

Diana singing "Come On Boy" or Mary singing "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" in Japan 73, or Diana singing "All the Befores" or Mary singing "Don't Let the Teardrops Bother You", they both for me were equally capable of selling a ballad.

The difference for me is the very early days. I think songs like "I Want a Guy" and "Who's Loving You" would have been ten times better with Mary on lead than Diana. I don't think very early Diana was a good ballad singer. Her voice seemed much more in control and commanding on faster songs. Smokey seemed to help her find her groove with "Your Heart Belongs To Me", but even that I have to wonder it maybe it would have done better on the charts with Mary rather than Diana.

Ran Ran--you mean the dresses that "showed all of their business?"

The biggest laugh in the world
    Last edited by after you; 02-27-2023 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Sadly, we are. The i'net has brought out the worst in so, so many. So be it. Stay sane and well -
    I agree, it’s almost to awful for words when someone is reduced to calling others names for simply thinking Diana Ross might be less then perfect. Makes you wonder what went wrong.

I am happy Diana has her many instances of "artistic temperament" as Berry used to say. Had she not, nobody would be talking about her today. I was shoved out the way by DR in a nightclub back in the 80's. Made me a star.

I am happy Diana has her many instances of "artistic temperament" as Berry used to say. Had she not, nobody would be talking about her today. I was shoved out the way by DR in a nightclub back in the 80's. Made me a star.
    I tend to agree Bobby. Diana will always be best remembered for her temperamental outbursts as well as being former lead singer of the Supremes. To late to try and change the public’s perception now.