Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
Like many of my peers who loved Motown and the Supremes, I never developed an appreciation for show tunes and standards until the Supremes started including them on their albums and tv performances.

My main issue with the wonderfully recorded "Funny Girl" album is not the music itself; however, that the ladies [[or Diana, I should say) performed the "I'm the Greatest Star" during the "Funny Girl" medley on the Ed Sullivan show.

At that time, I didn't know the story behind the musical, so I viewed Diana's performance as a personal egotistical declaration of her greatness. I cringed that Mary and Cindy had to sway behind her in a 'worshipful stance' as she declared, "I'm the Greatest Star!"

So yes, the "Funny Girl" album was definitely a Diana Ross vehicle, and Mary and Cindy were riding in the caboose attached to her elongated train. Please note that my opinion is not meant to minimize Diana's talent, but to point out that this project, squeezed among their many other recordings released at the time, was extra clutter from a group perspective. It did not elevate the dynamics of the group.
yeah i had the same feeling. it's just to blatant of a statement and without the full context of the show setting, it does come across as borderline inappropriate.