[REMOVE ADS]

Comparing albums - diana 80 vs diana 80 ;)

out of the unreleased things, i think the chic mix of diana 80 was one of the most anticipated for me and so the EE of diana has been one that i've really enjoyed listening to. I even did a "side by side" playlist where i merged the two versions together so you could go from Upside Down chic to Upside Down released.

what are your thoughts on comparing the two? to me, these are some of the most drastic changes between a released version and an alt version. In the end, i think i prefer the released ones but that could just be the familiarity with them.

also it's surprising that no 12" disco singles were released and no extended dance versions. I can't imagine that 12" releases were waning at this time, even if "disco" was dead. i can't imagine a time any 12" isn't appreciated! lol

I would have to listen again as it's been a long time but I did not like the Chic Mixes - no wonder Diana went to Russ; they did a much superior job.

there are a few i like but the one i like best was Friend To Friend.
    nice mix on this.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

also it's surprising that no 12" disco singles were released and no extended dance versions. I can't imagine that 12" releases were waning at this time, even if "disco" was dead. i can't imagine a time any 12" isn't appreciated! lol
    There was a 12" of UPSIDE DOWN b/w I'M COMING OUT released outside of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There was a 12" of UPSIDE DOWN b/w I'M COMING OUT released outside of the US.
    it is any different though than the version on the lp?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it is any different though than the version on the lp?
    I didn't buy it as I was only a kid on allowance at the time. I couldn't buy something that I assumed I already had. But I remember seeing the import in one of my local record stores.

Currently on eBay, there's a Canadian 12" of UPSIDE DOWN / I'M COMING OUT. They only picture the b-side, which is I'M COMING OUT. The length is 5:23, which I believe is the length of the album track. So the 12" is probably the same as the album version.

Also currently on eBay, there is a promo 12" of I'M COMING OUT [again TRT 5:23] on one side, and songs by Mira Waters and Legend on the other.
    Last edited by reese; 02-21-2023 at 11:25 PM.

This release was such a surprise for me when it was announced; I never imagined I’d have an opportunity to hear the notorious Chic mixes that had been discussed. My opinion - Motown made the right decision regarding the vocals selected and making Diana more present in the mix. However, I do appreciate many of the artistic nuances found in the Chic mixes and wish they hadn’t been removed. If I could control a “diana” remaster:

Upside Down - Motown Mix
    Tenderness - Motown Mix with Chic break and instrumentation
    Friend To Friend - Chic Mix
    I’m Comin’ Out - Motown Mix
    Have Fun - Motown Mix with Chic structure and extended instrumentation
    My Old Piano - Motown Mix with Chic extended instrumental fade
    Now That You’re Gone - Motown Mix with Chic stop-ending
    Give Up - Motown Mix, extended to include Chic version scat and fade
    Bonus Track: Friend To Friend - Motown Mix

Maybe I have too much time on my hands…

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    This release was such a surprise for me when it was announced; I never imagined I’d have an opportunity to hear the notorious Chic mixes that had been discussed. My opinion - Motown made the right decision regarding the vocals selected and making Diana more present in the mix. However, I do appreciate many of the artistic nuances found in the Chic mixes and wish they hadn’t been removed. If I could control a “diana” remaster:

Upside Down - Motown Mix
    Tenderness - Motown Mix with Chic break and instrumentation
    Friend To Friend - Chic Mix
    I’m Comin’ Out - Motown Mix
    Have Fun - Motown Mix with Chic structure and extended instrumentation
    My Old Piano - Motown Mix with Chic extended instrumental fade
    Now That You’re Gone - Motown Mix with Chic stop-ending
    Give Up - Motown Mix, extended to include Chic version scat and fade
    Bonus Track: Friend To Friend - Motown Mix

Nice selection Johnny. The Chic mix of “Friend To Friend” does seem to be popular amongst fans. I was disappointed with the remastering on the expanded “diana”, thinking it sounds a ‘tad flat.
    Russ certainly brought the original release to life, with Diana’s vocals more upfront and instrumentals tightened up. I don’t think the Chic version would have been nearly as successful.

i think Russ' version has less sheen than the original tracks. i don't know that i'd say it's grittier but it's more street. perfectly fits with the denim and t shirt cover. the original versions are more satin and studio 54. maybe a year earlier [[before disco sucks took off) that would have been perfect. but by summer 80, i think having a little less of that glam helped immensely.

i wonder if the originals might have sounded too polished

I'm in the minority of Diana fans that doesn't care for this album at all. For years I HATED "Upside Down" and "I'm Coming Out" even. It's only in the last few years that I've found an appreciation for them both. But I still have yet to appreciate the album. The only song that I really liked was "My Old Piano", which I had on the All the Great Hits package before I had a copy of the album. I bought the expanded as soon as it came out. I believe that might be the only time I listened to disk 1 and I couldn't tell you which versions were better than the other. It was disk 2 that I wore out. I played the hell out of those.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    We all make time for the Supremes, whether we have too little or too much time on our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm in the minority of Diana fans that doesn't care for this album at all. For years I HATED "Upside Down" and "I'm Coming Out" even. It's only in the last few years that I've found an appreciation for them both. But I still have yet to appreciate the album. The only song that I really liked was "My Old Piano", which I had on the All the Great Hits package before I had a copy of the album. I bought the expanded as soon as it came out. I believe that might be the only time I listened to disk 1 and I couldn't tell you which versions were better than the other. It was disk 2 that I wore out. I played the hell out of those.
    I bought the album the week it came out, having heard none of the songs. I must admit that I wasn't knocked out by it. After THE BOSS, I found it to be a disappointment.

My appreciation for it grew as it became such a big hit. Finally, there was a Diana Ross album that I could talk about with my classmates. And some of the songs like TENDERNESS and GIVE UP are still favorites of mine. But the album itself doesn't make my Diana Top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    haha and Piano was probably my least fav track. but it's grown on me. it wasn't that i hated it. but just never thought it was a highlight or a lost US hit.