[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Convention Detroit 1967

It seems strange to me that just a few weeks after the massive Detroit riots, BG would stage a big company convention / show in the city.
    Had this been planned for some months & so he just allowed it to go ahead regardless of the chaos still gripping the city ?
    Attachment 20384

Good question, a few years ago I've read Detroit 67: The Year That Changed Soul,

https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-67-Ye.../dp/184697366X

But I don't have it at hand now to quote and provide you specifics. Maybe other forum members would know.

Just had a quick scan at Detroit 67....can't see a reference to this convention/show.

I think it would be safe to say that with multiple acts involved [including Diana Ross and The Supremes--their top act], this convention was something that was planned well in advance in order to coordinate the various touring schedules for the artists. The Detroit riot took place July 23-28, 1967. Although this ad lists "September 1967," according to Mary Wilson's itinerary, "Showcase '68" [this convention] took place at the Ponchartrain Hotel August 25-28, 1967. As it was about a month after the riots, besides the scheduling aspect, from a business standpoint, I'd suspect most wanted to continue forward--even with things still being tense in the city. My two cents.
    Last edited by danman869; 02-20-2023 at 01:30 PM.

The convention had been in the works, planned and plotted well before the riots took place. This was big as it had to do with Motown's best year-to-date. If you want some insight into just how important this convention was to Motown's growth and why it went on as planned, read this:
    https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrand...t-kind-of-tour

If after reading this anyone feels that Motown should have cancelled the convention, it'll only illustrate, by contrast, the kind of people it took to operate one of the world's largest and most successful corporations on the planet.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 02-21-2023 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    It seems strange to me that just a few weeks after the massive Detroit riots, BG would stage a big company convention / show in the city.
    Had this been planned for some months & so he just allowed it to go ahead regardless of the chaos still gripping the city ?
    Attachment 20384
    After reading Adam White's article, I think you'll see by the time of the convention, the chaos had died down. The city and those living in it had to go on with life at some point. There are a lot of interesting newscasts and documentaries of that Summer of '67 on YouTube. I've been watching quite a lot of them. The resilience of the residents of Detroit, even while the flames were still literally burning around them is unbelievable. It helps to put into perspective why Motown was able to proceed with the convention. Interestingly, the record distributors who were attending had no issues with being in such close proximity to the area of the riots as Adam White's article: "Most were pugnacious traders who had served in the U.S. armed forces during World War II, and were unlikely to be deterred by civilian arsonists."

Very interesting time in history to say the least.

And this convention too place with Motown almost certainly aware that HDH were leaving.

A few pics from the event ...
    Attachment 20385

A pic off the net ...
    Attachment 20386

Chris Clark performing live in Sept 1967 [for 12mins 25 secs] at
    the Motown Sales Convention in San Francisco, Barney Ales also in attendance from Motown. Maybe Sept 67 was the month for all of the Sales conventions? Enjoy it!

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 02-21-2023 at 10:37 AM.

I have the itinerary for the convention. I'll copy & paste it here in case anyone is interested.

Important Information Regarding Your Program:
    Every effort has been made to assure that you will have a very enjoyable week-end in Detroit, Michigan. There are a few items that we would like to call to your attention in connection with the program.

Bulletins: The times for various events shown in the program may be changed slightly. Your "Man in the Red Coat", will remind you of the times of each activity prior to the event.

Special Assistance: In the event that you require special assistance of any kind, please contact the "Man in the Red Coat"; he will be very happy to assist you in any way possible.

Baggage Tags: Please keep the special baggage tags on your luggage at all times. This will aid in expediting safe handling of your luggage at airports and hotels.

Meals: All meals included in the program that are not a planned activity should be taken during the regular hotel hours. Please sign your check with your name and "MOTOWN RECORD CORPORATION".

Tipping:
    MOTOWN has allowed ample tipping of all personnel at the hotel and for other planned activities. It is suggested, however, that you personally tip for any "personal" services that you may desire.

Hotel Bill: The hotel will keep separate an account for any charges not included in the programs such as , [[valet, laundry, telephone calls, additional restaurant and beverage charges). Please check with the hotel desk and make payment of these charges before leaving.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 25, 1967
    The Red Carpet is being rolled out for you today in Detroit... home of MOTOWN RECORD CORPORATION.

Your first class jet flight brings you to Detroit Metropolitan Airport where you will be greeted by your MOTOWN Travel Director, "The Man in the Red Coat". He will assist you in obtaining your luggage and placing you in awaiting, chauffeur-driven limousines.

Upon arrival at the door of the Pontchartrain Hotel you will again be met by the "Man in the Red Coat", who will see that you are comfortably situated in deluxe twin-bedded accommodations that have been pre-registered for your convenience. The afternoon is free of any scheduled activities to allow you to relax, shop or meet Motown Management and Talent, and generally do as you please.

6:30 pm: THE VERSAILLES BALLROOM... in the hotel. "A Night In Paris" begins as you enter a welcome reception for the distinguished guests of Motown. French delicacies accompany cocktails as the Gendarmes and Mademoiselles make the scene come alive and the background music lends enchantment.

7:30 pm: THE VERSAILLES BALLROOM continues to be the center of your welcome to Detroit. You will dine in splendor on superb cuisine at glittering tables where you will feel that you have been transposed to Paris. Following your dinner your mood will change to a typically American scene in the PLAZA ROOM of the Pontchartrain where the action is LAS VEGAS all the way. You will be gambling with special Motown Currency that has been equally distributed and at the specified time your winnings will be counted and prizes will be awarded.

A special Western Bar will be open throughout the evening.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 26, 1967

9:30 am: Come alive!!! Another great day is beginning in the Hunt Club Room. A typical English Hunt breakfast is served.

11:00 am: Don your sport clothes and we're off to the races at MRA Track. Your day will be commemorated by a special Motown Race in honor of Motown's guests. Luncheon and cocktails will be enjoyed in a specially reserved section of the Club House where you can watch the excitement of 'your horse" coming into the winner's circle. Awaiting transportation will return you to the hotel.

Motown Records has included mad-money for you to be able to pick a winner in seven races.

7:30 pm: Deliciously cool cocktails are served by the Mexican senors and senoritas.

8:30 pm: Dinner featuring popular dishes from "South of the Border".

After dinner entertainment will feature an excellent dance team and Detroit's own version of the Tijuana Brass.

SUNDAY, AUGUST 27, 1967

Breakfast at your leisure in the hotel, selecting your choice of entree's from the menu and merely signing your check with your name and Motown.

2:30 pm: You will board the Bob-lo Boat at the Detroit River for a relaxing cruise. Lunch will be served on board with music from a Dixie Land Band.

4:00 pm: You will return to the hotel.

6:30 pm: Your chauffeur-driven limousine will pick you up at the motor lobby of the Pontchartrain Hotel and take you to the Roostertail "FOR" Dinner and the highlight of your visit to Hitsville, U.S.A. "Showcase '68". Black tie optional.

At the conclusion of the show, your limousine will whisk you back to the hotel.

MONDAY, AUGUST 28. 1967

Continental breakfast as the hotel.

10:00 am: A brief Sales Meeting will take place in the La Mediterranee Room, that will be both informative and beneficial.

12:00 noon: A Champagne brunch will conclude the activities as you bid adieux to the hosts of Motown Record Corporation.

Your awaiting limousines will take you to the Detroit Metropolitan Airport in time for your departing flight. Your "Man in the Red Coat", will assist you with your luggage and see that it is properly checked through for your assigned flight...

Name:  IMG-7906.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  98.0 KB
    Name:  IMG-7907.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  95.9 KB
    Last edited by nsoule; 02-23-2023 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsoule View Post
    I have the itinerary for the convention. I'll copy & paste it here in case anyone is interested.

Name:  IMG-7906.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  98.0 KB
    Name:  IMG-7907.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  95.9 KB
    This is all really fascinating! How did you come across all of this? If anything, this shows in even more "concrete" terms just how much work and planning went into this convention and why they wouldn't want to cancel except under the most daunting of circumstances. Motown didn't miss a trick. Berry certainly surrounded himself with people who knew everything in every area of running a successful corporation. I just saw in YouTube a video about Vee Jay Records- they were doing everything Motown ended up doing later, but unfortunately, someone was NOT watching the bottom line and that, along with some money-losing distribution arrangements, cut short their reign. Looking at that and then THIS really makes me appreciate how complex the entertainment world is.