[REMOVE ADS]

Grammy Worthy Song by Diana Ross

Pick your favorite Diana Ross song, which should have been nominated and received a Grammy Award.
    "Good Morning Heartache" sung by Diana Ross from the movie soundtrack album of "Lady Sings The Blues" deserved to receive a Grammy. It was a #1 album.

Ain't No Mountain High Enough

Touch me in the morning.

I'd have to agree with Reese for my pick, "Ain't No Mountain", the long version, gives me goosebumps and gets me a bit emotional each time I hear the opening.

'Do You Know Where You're Going To'. 'Mountain' & 'Good Morning Heartache' were not new songs just new versions so I'm not sure if they'd be eligible.

Mountain should have won

diana 80 should have been nominated and won, along with either Upside Down or I'm Coming Out. Christopher Cross Sailing and the accompanying album was the big winner that year. Stephanie Mills won for R&B Female "Never Knew Love Like This Before" and Bette Midler for Pop Female "The Rose"

The Boss should have been nominated in 79 too.

Touch Me In the Morning song and album should have been at least nominated. they'd be up against Innervisions by Stevie and Killing Me Softly by Roberta Flack. for Female R&B it was Aretha with Master of Eyes

Natalie Cole won for "Unforgettable" which was not a new song and included her dad Nat King Cole's vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    'Do You Know Where You're Going To'. 'Mountain' & 'Good Morning Heartache' were not new songs just new versions so I'm not sure if they'd be eligible.
    They were new recordings so they were eligible.

My memory is that Blue was not eligible because it was not newly recorded. Those were among her best recordings.

All of the above suggestions are great as well as the work from Lady Sings the Blues.

Some of the actual winners have not stood up anywhere near as well as Diana’s work.

i agree with all above
    i would definitely say Boss,Diana, The Force, Take Me Higher should have been nominated as well as 1976 DR .
    i like to also mention, if your re not gonna love me right
    not over you yet
    one shining moment

i dont see why Blue wasnt nominated
    sounds like an excuse to not give her a grammy.imo
    great album
    the music was new to us

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i dont see why Blue wasnt nominated
    sounds like an excuse to not give her a grammy.imo
    great album
    the music was new to us
    They have their rules however arbitrary they might be

i would also vote that her Little Girl Blue or even the Lady soundtrack could have been nominated for best jazz album and songs

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Grammy winners can be remakes....I just recently saw a interview with Millie Jackson...never one to mince words, she was nominated for a Grammy, and Atlantic records somehow or another managed to get the 2 yr old Aretha cover track of You're All I Need To Get By on the list...she was furious it was a corporate set up....she also told a story of how she met Aretha in her booking agency office, and blocked her path 2x because Aretha tried to sidestep her....Millie said Aretha went out of her way to never say hello and she had enough of it....I can't imagine anyone getting away with that but that's what Millie claims...

I would have to say REMEMBER ME....[[I think Dottie West ...RIP...great writer/singer was nominated for C&W Grammy for her cover of Last Time I Saw Him....)

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i would also vote that her Little Girl Blue or even the Lady soundtrack could have been nominated for best jazz album and songs
    Agree regarding the LSTB soundtrack. Perhaps as previously discussed, it was the dialogue being included that affected its chances.
    I would never have considered “Muscles” as being particularly worthy of a Grammy nomination. Would be interesting to know the criteria that makes up such selections. It has appeared rather haphazard over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Grammy winners can be remakes...
    I always thought it was weird that Diana got a Grammy nomination for "I Love You [[Call Me)" -- an album track cover of an Aretha Franklin single, which Aretha had written herself, while in the end Aretha won that year in that category with her cover version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water."

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Grammy winners can be remakes....I just recently saw a interview with Millie Jackson...never one to mince words, she was nominated for a Grammy, and Atlantic records somehow or another managed to get the 2 yr old Aretha cover track of You're All I Need To Get By on the list...she was furious it was a corporate set up....she also told a story of how she met Aretha in her booking agency office, and blocked her path 2x because Aretha tried to sidestep her....Millie said Aretha went out of her way to never say hello and she had enough of it....I can't imagine anyone getting away with that but that's what Millie claims...
    That was an interesting interview that Millie gave on Questlove's podcast. But she had one big fact wrong. That year, Aretha was nominated [and won] for AIN'T NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING, from her 1974 album LET ME IN YOUR LIFE. Millie was nominated for IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG, from her 1974 album CAUGHT UP.

The story about Millie blocking Aretha's path in the hallway? That one I believe.