[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross' 1996 Super Bowl Halftime Show

"Oh my, here comes my ride..." : Diana Ross
    Was this line ad-libed or part of the scripted act?

Diana Ross' 1996 Super Bowl Halftime Performance remains unparalleled.

When a Diva Peaks, the critics squander!

I always thought her vocals rather forced and a bit shouty on this particular performance. As at Central Park, i wish she had paid more attention to the actual singing as opposed to being swept along by the spectacle of the huge occasion. Style over substance for me i’m afraid, with a four and a half out of ten.

i think the first night of Central Park was certainly stronger than the second. with these formats though, she isn't able to exit the stage and interact directly with the audience. and there is just physically more distance between her and the audience. in her more traditional stage setting, she's so perfectly at home and there's that rapport.

i do think the overall production, set list, theatrics came across well. the real goal for the SB Halftime show is for the tv viewing audience. and this was one of the first mega shows. for the first decade it was just your traditional marching band shows. the second decade started to add some more bells and whistles like drill teams and all. but still very basic productions.

Up With People in 1980 was one of the first to be more of a spectacle. the Rockettes in 1988. Then New Kids on the Block and Disney's Small World in 1991 was an exciting new development. then Michael Jackson did XXVII in 1993 and that was the first time 1 performer did the entire show. previously it was reviews or groups of different performers.

Diana performed at Super Bowl XXX in 96 and was the 2nd stand-alone performer. for all of the theatrics she put into it, it definitely was a big deal. and well done. was it more flash and sizzle - of course. but i think she did an appropriate job of creating something outrageous for the tv viewing audience

Since Diana Ross' 1996 Super Bowl Theatrics, there has never been a halftime show exit that overwhelms as much as her awesome spectacle.

I would have loved "Take Me Higher" blended into a finale of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough".

The ad-libed line before the helicopter arrives would have been:

"Oh dear, I can't get there in heels!" HA! HA! HA!

After all these years, upon viewing this video, I am suddenly awestruck, as the cameo stand up applause by a man in the audience.

This show business spectacle is a grand performance by Miss Ross!