[REMOVE ADS]

"They Long to Be "Close to You" Diana Ross' Version

Diana Ross should have been nominated for a Grammy Award for "Close to You". I guess if the song had been released as a single, it may have attained momentum for an award. Amazing to compare the musical singing styles of Diana Ross and Karen Carpenter with this song. An album of Burt Bacharach and Hal David songs sung by Diana Ross would have been lovely.
    Last edited by TNSUN; 02-13-2023 at 08:31 PM.

Richard and Karen Carpenter of The Carpenters received a Grammy Award for Vocal Duo or Group for the song "Close to You".
    Last edited by TNSUN; 02-13-2023 at 07:21 PM.

Diana’s interpretation of “Close To You” has always been my very favourite. She adds a theatricality to it that’s missing from most other versions.
    Being it was featured on her 71 TV Special, i wonder it was ever considered for single release?. Perhaps not the direction Berry wanted for her at that point in her career.

this style of music works perfectly fine for Diana but frankly it's never been one i felt she should do much with. Deonne already had the corner on this market with all her Burt B tunes. i know they did this just to include more genres of music. but for this song to be an award nominee for her just doesn't make sense. she had her own styles that fit her better

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Diana’s interpretation of “Close To You” has always been my very favourite. She adds a theatricality to it that’s missing from most other versions.
    Being it was featured on her 71 TV Special, i wonder it was ever considered for single release?. Perhaps not the direction Berry wanted for her at that point in her career.
    I bought the 45 or REACH OUT, I'LL BE THERE b/w CLOSE TO YOU out of a $.99 bin. For years, I thought CLOSE TO YOU was the a-side because I thought RO was so boring.

I like the version from her DIANA! special soundtrack album better than that on the EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING album.

Definitely a fav of mine. "Close To You" is actually one of my all time favorite songs because it appears that no matter who is singing it, I love it. Diana's version rates as high as BT Express' version for me. I love the way Diana's version ends. It's Diana at her sparkly best.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Definitely a fav of mine. "Close To You" is actually one of my all time favorite songs because it appears that no matter who is singing it, I love it. Diana's version rates as high as BT Express' version for me. I love the way Diana's version ends. It's Diana at her sparkly best.
    I remember seeing BT Express doing their version on SOUL TRAIN. A pretty good one, too.

Jerry Butler and Brenda Lee Eager did a great version as well. I think theirs inspired BT Express'.

I like DR's version....the Carpenters version was so overplayed [[most of their singles did get tons of AM car radio top 40 airplay....especially when they were brand new...my ears still wanna bleed every time I hear "SING"!!!!) I hated any version of CLOSE TO YOU for a long time...and it seems every pop vocalist took a crack at it...in the early 70's Columbia Records seemed to have a huge market on AC...you get LP after LP by Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, Tony Bennett, Jerry Vale and Vicki Carr all with many of the same current pop songs....all on Columbia!

I love Diana's version, but I love Gwen Guthrie's version even more:

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I remember seeing BT Express doing their version on SOUL TRAIN. A pretty good one, too.

Jerry Butler and Brenda Lee Eager did a great version as well. I think theirs inspired BT Express'.
    I think you're right Reese. Bobby Womack also does a great version. Zulema also has a live version of "Close To You" that's wonderful. Ron Isley and Lauryn Hill have a great one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I love Diana's version, but I love Gwen Guthrie's version even more:

Yes, another great one I play often.

Diana's version is a Busby Berkley worthy hot mess and I love every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Diana's version is a Busby Berkley worthy hot mess and I love every minute of it.
    Busby Berkeley??? I know who he was but explain the reference, please!