[REMOVE ADS]

Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene Former Supremes with Joyce Vincent SOLD OUT Show

Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene Former Ladies Of The Supremes with Joyce Vincent was SOLD OUT last night February 11, 2023 @ The Catalina Jazz Club in Hollywood, The Ladies put on an INCREDIBLE Show, singing The Supremes Classic like The Happening, You Can't Hurry Love, Stop In The Name Of Love,Back In My Arms Again, Up The Ladder To The Roof, Stoned Love, High Energy,Someday We'll Be Together, It got very Dramatic when Scherrie did her solo number My World Is Empty Without You, and she got a Standing Ovation, and Susaye got a Standing Ovation for her solo number also singing My Funny Valentine, The Ladies Scherrie Susaye and Joyce looked and sound GREAT for a Packed Audience,Ron Hasley and The Band was on FIRE, I had a BLAST.
    Last edited by REDHOT; 02-12-2023 at 09:46 PM.

Glad you had fun, buddy! I'm a bit envious. I just want to see Scherrie perform live before I die but they never play Texas.

Go east, young ladies!!!

@REDHOT,

How did you like the venue? I love the Catalina. Not a bad seat in the house.

With reviews like the ones the ladies got last weekend I am hoping their bookings will increase elsewhere in the USA over the next year

I was also at the show and can confirm it was spectacular. It was my first time seeing them and would love to go to another one of their shows in the future.

Catalina Jazz Club is also a great venue for them. There were some special guests in the audience including Freda Payne, Eddie Holland, and Hank Dixon of The Originals.

I got to meet the ladies and talk to Susaye after the show. They were all incredibly warm. A night I'll never forget.

Here's the set list for those interested. I may be off on the ordering of some of the songs towards the end of the evening.

1. Everybody Gets To Go To The Moon/Corner Of The Sky
    2. The Happening
    3. Stop! In The Name Of Love
    4. Reflections/Where Did Our Love Go/Baby Love/My World Is Empty Without You
    5. Up The Ladder To The Roof
    6. Love Child
    7. My Funny Valentine [[Susaye solo)
    8. I'll Never Love This Way Again [[Joyce solo)
    9. Here's To Life [[Scherrie solo)
    10. You Keep Me Hangin' On
    11. Come See About Me
    12. Back In My Arms Again
    13. High Energy
    14. Knock Three Times/Tie A Yellow Ribbon
    15. How Do You Keep The Music Playing
    16. Someday We'll Be Together
    17. Stoned Love
    18. You Can't Hurry Love

wow - they're still using Moon/Corner of sky lol

Nice set list and great review. i do agree that it would be fun to have more of the HE and MS&S albums represented. at least Walking should be there. but it would be so fun to have S and S do some of their songs. but i get it, they hits are a mandatory component

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

Nice set list and great review. i do agree that it would be fun to have more of the HE and MS&S albums represented. at least Walking should be there. but it would be so fun to have S and S do some of their songs. but i get it, they hits are a mandatory component
    I've seen clips of Scherrie, Susaye, and Joyce performing "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking" and "He's My Man," but I think they got cut to make room for the solos. I had hoped they would do Walking, but I understand they can't do every hit and it was already a 90-minute set. It was also a pleasant surprise to hear "High Energy."

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

It’s interesting, how different this Setlist is than the one they did when they were appearing several years ago, that one was made up almost entirely of various solo numbers, very little Supremes material, and only a few duets together through the evening which were from “Partners.”

For those who were there, how was their “High Energy?” That’s my all-time favorite song of any Supremes lineup, but for some reason, I never think it comes over in a live setting. I think it’s missing the fantastic orchestration, I guess to me it’s just not really a “live” number. But what say you?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    It’s interesting, how different this Setlist is than the one they did when they were appearing several years ago, that one was made up almost entirely of various solo numbers, very little Supremes material, and only a few duets together through the evening which were from “Partners.”

For those who were there, how was their “High Energy?” That’s my all-time favorite song of any Supremes lineup, but for some reason, I never think it comes over in a live setting. I think it’s missing the fantastic orchestration, I guess to me it’s just not really a “live” number. But what say you?
    ken - which version of the song is your fav? i've definitely enjoyed hearing the alt mixes and of course the alt lead by Susaye. wouldn't it be fascinating to here the supposed Scherrie lead in full?

Also on the alt lead version, there are additional Mary spoken lines. any idea what the heck she's saying? lol

and i agree with you. maybe of the 70s Sup songs just were part of the studio magic. and unless there was a full 90-piece orchestra supporting them, just wouldn't sound as amazing. HE, Nathan Jones [[although that's more about the synth),Time to break down, Loving Country. even SL

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

Hi Kenneth, they did a version similar to what was on Susaye's "Brave New Shoes" album. It was mellow and jazzy, which worked for the venue. It is one of those songs like "Touch" or "He's My Man" that's difficult to replicate live, but I was impressed.

Nice review of the show and the group

https://www.laweekly.com/former-supr...with-the-flos/